PDA

View Full Version : loosing power

14nova
29-07-10, 05:33 PM
ive notice this before in my nova (16 8v spi engine running on a sr carb) but it wasnt until racing against a saxo vtr that i really had to take notice. sometimes the car would loose power completely! just kinda splutter and go no where.

last night against the vtr it seemed to happen after changing gear then it would die n splutter. could it be over fueling as the return line is blocked of and a fuel pressure regulator on it. what would the standard fuel pressure be? the regulator is set at 3.5.

also when idling it would have a very slight miss. thinking about trying to find a mate with a timing light and see if the dizzy would need adjusted aswell. also going to replace plus leads and cap asap

thanks
jonny

14nova
29-07-10, 05:37 PM
forgot to add the coil is from a 1L. car was a 1L to begin with and the coil has just been used. would it be sending enough power for a good spark on a spirited drive?

mk1nova_rich
29-07-10, 07:17 PM
i would unblock the fuel return as quite a lot of fuel goes back to the tank from 2E3 carbs. Theres a very good chance chance its overfuelling which would cause the problems you are having.

The coil should be fine and i would leave it be until you have done the above to check thats not your problem.

14nova
29-07-10, 11:26 PM
thanks at weekend ill look at the tank and see if there is a place to put a return line

14nova
30-07-10, 10:48 PM
found out that a vacuum pipe from the carb was split. took it for a spin and seems to be fine

14nova
31-07-10, 05:38 PM
didnt sort it out at all
took it for a good run and still does it. just dies, back of throttle and go again and still same have to back of and slow down then go again