PDA

View Full Version : Nut's and bolt's

G-nova
29-07-10, 01:43 AM
Hi i am really confused with nut and bolt sizes, i want to renew some of them on my Nova but im not sure where to buy them apart from the internet and that's when i get confused on sizes. Im looking for new manifold studs and Nut's, sump bolt's, wing bolt's and a few other's as-well. Does anyone know where i can buy them from or how to find out the size of the Nut's and bolt's im after? any help will be much appreciated plus rep thanks guys

NovaGuy1400SRi
29-07-10, 02:02 AM
I managed to get new manifold studs & nuts from a vauxhall dealer a couple of years ago.

peester
29-07-10, 06:51 AM
mostly M6 to M12 metric nuts n bolts, i think 1.25 or 1.5 thread..
only if replacing tie-bar to slam panel bots theyre a finer thread; youll need to check those..
Wing bolts ide get them of tim2000 on migweb i think it was. 10mm head.

craig green
29-07-10, 09:58 AM
Dont just chuck any old stainless or whatever where you see fit. It's OK on sump bolts & low stress stuff, but engine mounts & suspension components etc really need the high tensile bolt spec that GM fitted as std.

Most of it is typical Metric sizes, M5,M6,M8 etc There are some oddball thread sizes scattered about the car (M7 on the bumper Irons & seat mountings for example) & the bolts that hold the gear selector into the floor is imperial thread I think.

Edd
29-07-10, 10:06 AM
Once you start replacing with stainless you fooked lol

Whilst doing my Sport iv found loads that are odd sizes, mainly on the gearbox, m7 some are imperial too, iv had to buy new from Vauxhall.
Not as easy as you think.

Pistol Pete
29-07-10, 10:13 AM
Get the old ones zinc coated? Didnt browney and a few others do this? Looks good IMO and saves having to source new stuff.

Edd
29-07-10, 10:21 AM
I actually found it cheaper to buy new, looks more original too IMO

G-nova
29-07-10, 12:25 PM
thanks guys will give Vauxhall a ring then. im not replacing them with stainless as its not for show or anything just some of my Nut's and bolt's are lookin a bit fooked lol i've cleaned a few of them with krust and its done a great job but their is still a few i would rather replace like wing bolt's. will plus rep when im on a pc as Im using mobile at mo lol

mowgli
29-07-10, 12:38 PM
any good nut & bolt/hardware/ engineering supplies shop will help you.

ade
29-07-10, 09:20 PM
wing bolts etc can still be sourced from vauxhall...

G-nova
29-07-10, 09:28 PM
i have rang vauxhall today and the only bolts they had from what i wanted was 17 manifold nuts and one stud lol all the others they didnt have in stock any more well gutted. i have tho found a nut and bolt shop not too far away from me so will be giving them a visit soon. thanks guys for all your help + rep for peester, craig green and mowgli.

Benn
29-07-10, 10:04 PM
Once you start replacing with stainless you fooked lol

I agree. lol

Sump are M6x25
Manifold studs and nuts are M8
Wing bolt a are speed bolts. In M6 iirc x 10

Then again, what engine? The above are xe and Nova wing bolts.

G-nova
29-07-10, 10:18 PM
its for the 1.2 (12ST) plus rep mate thanks for the sizes will make a big help when ordering new other-wise i'll have to take the bolts into the shop.

Benn
29-07-10, 10:23 PM
TBh that is the best way, they can match them to what you have that way.

As Craig said tho, dont replace anything that is a strong bolt with stainless..

mk1nova_rich
29-07-10, 10:27 PM
its for the 1.2 (12ST) plus rep mate thanks for the sizes will make a big help when ordering new other-wise i'll have to take the bolts into the shop.

i may be wrong, but IIRC the early (pre-1985) engines use imperial threads?! I remember reading sumat in Haynes Manual so i would double check if its for the 1983 Nova in your sig :thumb:

G-nova
29-07-10, 10:32 PM
oh ok well i will defo be taking them into the shop then, and i wont replace with stainless lol dont worry. thanks again guys + rep