PDA

View Full Version : Rear Arch

dannymcc
28-07-10, 12:18 PM
Hi, I was looking at a Nova a mate has for sale. One of the arches is good but the other arch lip is falling down and I was wondering if this can be straightened up without having to put a arch repair onto it ? :confused:
Cheers.

MK999
28-07-10, 12:20 PM
if its rusty enough to fall down it's going to disintegrate when you touch it.

dannymcc
29-07-10, 11:56 AM
I had a look last night and it seems that behind the arches is all dirt and muck . There is no rust :wtf: . So I think it was all the muck and dirt that caused the arch lip to fall down :confused: But can it be folded up?:confused:

L14MNP
29-07-10, 11:58 AM
WTF lol. What do you mean 'fall down'?

Surely that means it's lost it's integrity and as such is rotten, not rusty?

dannymcc
29-07-10, 12:03 PM
WTF lol. What do you mean 'fall down'?

Surely that means it's lost it's integrity and as such is rotten, not rusty? The lip on the arch is loosing it shape and It should be straight but its not. Will see if I can get a pic up tonight :thumb:

MK999
29-07-10, 12:09 PM
I know what you mean, mine is the same, because its rotten lol Seriously if you're that confident it's not, why are you waiting for us to tell you it's ok to push it back up? :p

Nova_Tek
29-07-10, 12:14 PM
Go have a look at my project thread mate (link in my sig) and have a look at my arch lips, they had only bubbled up (or so it seemed) but they actually rusted from the inside out.

So it was worse than it looked.

dannymcc
29-07-10, 12:38 PM
Go have a look at my project thread mate (link in my sig) and have a look at my arch lips, they had only bubbled up (or so it seemed) but they actually rusted from the inside out.

So it was worse than it looked. Cheers mate. Yea his arch lip is bubbled up so It would benifit if the arch was replaced. Thanks for the help guys.
@ MK - Why should I push it back up , Its not my car :p

craig green
29-07-10, 01:04 PM
They can lose there shape as the begin to rot & the lips drop, its obviously beginning to rot as I say, but a few years back on my GSi (before the arches were replaced) I had nothing to lose & levered the arch lip back up with a spade against the tyre. Pikey but it worked, depending how rotted the metal actually is, you may be successful.

I actually tried it on my 1.2 daily the other day, but the metal seemed too stubborn & wouldnt budge. I was actually lifting the car up!

ade
29-07-10, 09:18 PM
the inner skins buckled due to rust proibably forcing the oputer skin down - it's probably sitting at an angle and not flush (horizontal) - nost are like that - if the paints not bubbling then you may be able to tap it up but tbh I'm guessing the inner arch has gone.

Are the wheels standard - might have had the lip knocked down for a mod - unlikely but happens occasionally (rather than roll them up)

vaughanmc
29-07-10, 09:25 PM
My drivers side rear arch is 'sagging down' if you will but I know that's due to rust/rot etc from the inside-out

Not to worry though :)