PDA

View Full Version : sideways play in lh cv joint

mowgli
28-07-10, 07:54 AM
my lh inner cv (f13) seems to have a lot of sideways play in it. i needed to replace the output seal & noticed it then...

the rh one is pretty tight & hardly moves side to side.

the cv itself is the gm original one & has only done 10000miles. it doesn't look worn out.

i was wondering if it was a design quirk, but i haven't exactly been wiggling other nova cvs to find out

AlexW
28-07-10, 09:56 AM
I presume it does only move left to right and not up and down?

I cant see it being a problem if its not clicking or falling out.

mowgli
28-07-10, 10:05 AM
it is not moving in or out, it is just very wobble-able, the main problem is the leakage of oil.. which is why i stuck a new seal in.

also i am going to be going very fast down to dorset & back, a total of about 400miles, & i really don't want to be spannering it on a campsite in an area of natural beauty

AlexW
28-07-10, 10:16 AM
Is the clip on the end of the cv still holding it good? Most likly is though, and i presume it is still loose even with the new seal. Hmmm

Does seem a bit funny as there isnt ment to be any play as far as i know, hence why the other shaft has no play.

mowgli
28-07-10, 10:21 AM
i really didn't want to take the gearbox apart.....

Damo
30-07-10, 09:59 PM
Just to add i also have this problem with my inner cv joint i can move it up and down and side to side whilst connected into the diff. Ive been told the diff bearings are worn causing the play.

Any gen.........

auzzy-b
31-07-10, 11:14 AM
/\Could be! how much play are we talking?

Damo
31-07-10, 06:56 PM
/\Could be! how much play are we talking?

About a mil or two auzzy!.

eddgsiturbo
02-08-10, 05:46 PM
i have just finished my let conversion and have exactly the same prob in the left hand side inner cv, its also leaking oil mine wobbles about but it is cliped in to the box. i dont think its the diff bearings as it only seems to be the cv that wobbles not inside the box. has anyone else had this prob ever?

mowgli
02-08-10, 05:48 PM
quick report.

i just did nearly 400 miles over the weekend at some impressive speeds. the seal hasn't leaked a drop & the gearbox makes no more noise. when i get chance, i'll get the shafts out & see if the bearing needs tightening up.

Damo
02-08-10, 07:55 PM
Mowgli you mentioned tightening the bearings gen me up mate please.

mowgli
02-08-10, 08:30 PM
the lh bearing can be tightened to take play out of the diff. there is a m6 bolt (10mm head) that holds a funny looking lock tab in place. with that removed, the lh bearing housing can be tightened to suit. the black art is how tight should it be.....

Damo
02-08-10, 08:42 PM
the lh bearing can be tightened to take play out of the diff. there is a m6 bolt (10mm head) that holds a funny looking lock tab in place. with that removed, the lh bearing housing can be tightened to suit. the black art is how tight should it be.....

Will the same aply then to the f16/f20 boxes, but the thing that worries me is that ive a little whine at around 1500rpm from the box but nothing under or after.:confused:

mowgli
02-08-10, 08:44 PM
that could be anything tbh.. early input bearings were noisy, the clutch bearing can make tons on noise,

Damo
02-08-10, 08:58 PM
that could be anything tbh.. early input bearings were noisy, the clutch bearing can make tons on noise,

Yea was thinking input shaft but play in the shaft cv was throwing me towards the diff bearings ill just have to see how it goes as its not got any worse and ive been driving it since beginning of march.