PDA

View Full Version : dizzy cap and rotor arm issues. 13sb

daverobson
27-07-10, 07:44 PM
right here goes,
replaced dizzy cap and rotor arm in january, then when driving south in may the center conection on the rotor arm had worn out and damaged the dizzy cap.
i then replaced them again and all was well, untill sunday when i herd a 'rattling'. on monday i removed the cap at work and about 10-15 bits of plastic and metal come out the cap.

me and my boss (mechanics) had a look at the fitting of the rotor arm checked for play and then the same with the new cap.
i started the car and smashed it all apart again?

dont know if anyone else has had this problem?
it must either be down to **** parts or the distrubuter being 'out of place'

any help appreciated:thumb:

Dave

garyc
28-07-10, 01:08 PM
Mark the dizzy so you can replace it. Remove it from the cam carrier and check if the shaft has any play or wear.

daverobson
28-07-10, 06:20 PM
ive done this.
its the sprung part of the distributer that it being fully pushed 'out' and into the cap.
im not sure what im gonna need to do, or replace to fix this. and i havnt had enough time to look at it.
the camshaft is bolted in where it should be.

cheers

garyc
28-07-10, 06:56 PM
I've got a couple of "old" dizzies which you may be able to make 1 from. Otherwise H&H ignition solutions would rebuild it for you. http://www.h-h-ignitionsolutions.co.uk/

daverobson
28-07-10, 07:07 PM
they not available any more?
'old'?? - intrested

is it most likely the dizzy thats at fault??

garyc
28-07-10, 07:14 PM
without seeing it I'm not sure, I would think so if it is smashing it up. How urgent is this?

gc

daverobson
28-07-10, 07:17 PM
its my daily.

when i slide the dizzy into the cam carrier, the center shaft is fully out. causing the rotor arm to catch on the dizzy cap,
or the cap needs to be about 5-10mm longer

daverobson
29-07-10, 01:24 PM
+rep

garyc
29-07-10, 02:10 PM
Has a roll pin sheered off, if I get chance tonight I will see what they are like. Can you get to Hertford?

daverobson
29-07-10, 06:32 PM
yeah i could borrow my mums car. cheers,

and what part is the roll pin? the 2 little lugs that go into the cam. then no

daverobson
09-08-10, 09:35 AM
the issue was the arm was pushed right out into the cap.

ive space it out so it clears but after about 5days the rotor arm fell apart.
but on one i repaired and its happened again.

the contact just falls out ???