PDA

View Full Version : Drilling airbox

m.a.t.t
13-05-03, 09:14 PM
I have got a 1.2i and want to drill my dustbin lid but what size holes and where. Also do i need to cover the holes to stop getting dirt in and just cold air?

mikeoxford
13-05-03, 10:02 PM
:x
this question comes up so much and i forgot to take some pics of my cousins car when he came over last

around the outside edge of the airbox, where the clips are

drill the biggest holes you can about 1 and a quater niches

two in between each clips.

no need to cover it as they are the correct side of the filter.

PeteG
13-05-03, 11:32 PM
As he said-done the same thing on my 1.3SR-made a big difference
8)

Alex
14-05-03, 11:47 AM
exactly right. :)

Nova-Boy
14-05-03, 11:51 AM
take off the pipe that goes to the box, this will give beeter flow. As many holes as you want and bigger the better. I did the lid and the sides but make sure that on the lid you keep them to the edges. I amgonna take a picture today and upload it once and for all!!

m.a.t.t
14-05-03, 12:43 PM
By drilling my airbox will i use more fuel?

Alex
14-05-03, 12:47 PM
you wont notice any more being used

beckgte
14-05-03, 07:29 PM
drilling the airbox gives you sicological thinking that your car is quicker this it not all that true as you are drilling holes in the airbox it will be sucking in hot air from the engine and if you take off the pipe as well it will suck in even more hot air you need cold air not hot air, it may make a noise but may not increase bhp

snapper
14-05-03, 08:50 PM
drilling the airbox gives you sicological thinking that your car is quicker this it not all that true as you are drilling holes in the airbox it will be sucking in hot air from the engine and if you take off the pipe as well it will suck in even more hot air you need cold air not hot air, it may make a noise but may not increase bhp

yeh, in the same way a k&n or ramair or similar filter won't increase performance.

*cough*

Nova-Boy
14-05-03, 09:54 PM
well hopefully to stop all the questions about drilling airboxes i have uploaded a pic.

mikeoxford
14-05-03, 09:56 PM

yeh, in the same way a k&n or ramair or similar filter won't increase performance.

*cough*

the total vauxhall air filters review was all a myth then!? :lol:

beckgte
15-05-03, 06:03 PM
i said this is all not that true

mikeoxford
15-05-03, 06:24 PM
i said this is all not that true

lets sue total vauxhall magazine for slander :D

locky
15-05-03, 06:29 PM
Just make a heat shield out of aluminium, and possibly a ram pipe could help!

scott5
16-05-03, 11:32 AM
drilling the airbox and fitting bolt-on filters does add a little bit more power, yes the engine does suck in more hot air but the bolt-on filters increase the airflow which allows the engine to rev faster and higher, drilling the airbox should give the same result.