PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone help - HID head lights clicking

Steve-johnson2010
27-07-10, 12:23 PM
Hi everyone,
I'm in need of some valuable advice if possible.
Just purchased a lovely looking Nova (Cheers Luke) with HID head light conversion......
The trouble is, when the headlights are on I get a horrible clicking noise from the relay and when the full beams are on it goes....
I had heard that the clicking happens when you flash the headlights but goes, mine seems to be constant when headlights are on.....
Can anyone help me?
Do I just need to replace the relay?
Is this common

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Jack
27-07-10, 02:52 PM
Have you tried replacing the relay? I'm assuming you mean the relay that powers the lights...

Are they the type with the rotating shield to change the beam direction? Could be that which is clicking.

...and any pics of the beam pattern? :d

[edit] its not a crackling noise is it? HIDs sometimes make a crackle sound when they've got a poor power supply.

Steve-johnson2010
27-07-10, 03:01 PM
It sounds like the engine is out of oil, that tapping noise.....
but only when the lights are on, it's gotta be a relay but something to do with the HID conversion.
The fella I got the nova off said they should make that noise when you flip the full beam but not when the main headlights are on.....
I had hoped it was just a relay but you can't see them as they are tucked away somewhere and I don't want to have to take the lights and wiring apart to find it. I was going to take it to a garage tonight to see if they can find the fault, does it sound like a relay to you?

Nova_Tek
27-07-10, 03:06 PM
The guy is right, if they are Bi-Xenon then it will make a muffled tap/clicking noise as you engage the high beam. Should only make that noise when you activate and deactivate the high beam.

Constant clicking don't sound right. Could be a faulty relay, if it was the ballast then it would probably not work at all.

Jack
27-07-10, 03:08 PM
Sounds indeed like it could be the solenoid that rotates the shield. I'm not sure on the wiring for those, as I've not really dabbled with H4 HIDs, but I would guess they take a signal from the main beam (white on the nova loom) wire to flip the shield. Is there a relay that controls that?

[edit] Tek, bi-xenon are the type with the HID low beam burner and halogen high beam aren't they? So won't/shouldn't have a relay.

Nova_Tek
27-07-10, 03:20 PM
AFAIK bi-xenon mean xenon dipped and xenon high, hence the 'bi'.

Need to go check this out as you are rarely incorrect but I'm sure that I'm right!?!

Paradox! lol

Jack
27-07-10, 03:25 PM
Ah no, you're right. I must have thought the bi- bit referred to two bulbs lol

Nova_Tek
27-07-10, 03:42 PM
The 'Bi' bit means two beam types dipped and main but 'bi-xenon' mean both beams are xenon.

Benn
27-07-10, 08:09 PM
Not see ones that move the shield bit. All the ones i seen move the whole bulb.
Is it an older kit? As the relay on mine stopped working so wouldn't flick over on to high beam. Think the relays arnt that great in them.

Steve-johnson2010
30-07-10, 02:12 PM
I'm not sure how old they are as these were fitted to the car when purchased.....
I will get the relay checked this weekend, the lights still work and all that it;s just very annoying when you need the lights on!!!

Welsh Dan
30-07-10, 02:45 PM
Which relay is making the noise? Does the HID kit have its own feed from the battery? If it doesn't, I'd start by making one.

Steve-johnson2010
02-08-10, 12:24 PM
Yeah I think they do have their own feed, it's the passenger side where the clicking is coming from. Any Ideas?

Steve-johnson2010
10-08-10, 12:04 PM
I checked all the wiring out the other night, I just unplugged the relay on the passenger side and the clicking has stopped, Do I need the relay plugged in as it now has the HID conversion in?
Surely the relay is only for the normal headlights?
Cheers everyone