PDA

View Full Version : which carb will work

oly man
25-07-10, 10:26 PM
alright lads, i got a 1.3 sr, been told its a good engine have got the manafold and fast road cam and i am soon getting the head port polishes big valves and skimed, i know the webber 40 dcoe's work but i was wondering would it be better to get 45? and my main question is would it work and is it worth gettin weber 48 / sp? also whats the diffrence between 48 idf/sp and 48 doc/sp? thanks guys.

mk1nova_rich
25-07-10, 10:44 PM
45s are too big for a 1300 and 48s even more so. 40s are more than capable of flowing enough air for the most highly tuned 1.3s and you would need a custom manifold to fit anything other anyway

blue_peg_16v
25-07-10, 10:47 PM
alright lads, i got a 1.3 sr, been told its a good engine have got the manafold and fast road cam and i am soon getting the head port polishes big valves and skimed, i know the webber 40 dcoe's work but i was wondering would it be better to get 45? and my main question is would it work and is it worth gettin weber 48 / sp? also whats the diffrence between 48 idf/sp and 48 doc/sp? thanks guys.

45s are to big and 48 ridiculs for a 1.3, some race spec 1.6s ran 45s but they were very high spec, weber dellorto or solex 40s will be fine on a 1.3 or you could go for r1 or similar bike carbs

idf = downdraft
dcoe/dcoe sp = sidedraft

oly man
25-07-10, 11:03 PM
well i think thats the answers i was looking for thank you very much, yep and i know about the manifold 150 is the cheapest iv seen so far lol, another question then would it be worth bying the carbs from new or second hand? also the second hand ones are always for like vw's when i see them for sale, but apart from the manifold i can just get them re-tuned cant i?

Sloth
25-07-10, 11:13 PM
if you buy s/h add in the cost of a rebuild ond new jets, ALSO CHECK THE PROGRESSION DRILLINGS, AND MAKE SURE THE SPINDLES ARNT BENT

blue_peg_16v
26-07-10, 09:10 AM
yup the 40s can be rejeted to suit yor engine no matter what there off new ones would more than likely need rejetting anyway as they usually come with standard jets that may not be right also remember to factor in a rolling road set up at some one who knows what there doing like bogg brothers drove my valver in on 48s thinking it was quick and roughly set up he changed the jets and balanced them and boy what a difference it flew

Stuart
26-07-10, 09:30 AM
I'd simply go for the 1.6 GTE/GSI head as it will be gigger valves and better flowing for a LOT less cash than modding the 1.3 head lol

blue_peg_16v
26-07-10, 12:47 PM
I'd simply go for the 1.6 GTE/GSI head as it will be gigger valves and better flowing for a LOT less cash than modding the 1.3 head lol

would also lower compresion tho due to combustion chamber so hed need to skim it to death to get the ratio back and then may need the pistons pocketed

Stuart
26-07-10, 01:23 PM
wont need that much of a skim tbh... but its still going to be cheaper to make the 1.6 head the right CR compared to modding the crap out of a 1300head.

phunkynova
26-07-10, 05:46 PM
A cheaper option that twin 40's is going for a set of motor bike carbs like Yamaha R1 or R6 on a manifold to fit your cylinder head. :thumb: