PDA

View Full Version : Gear linkage

peester
24-07-10, 08:41 PM
Hi. Its me, back from hiding..
So this gear linkage. I wondered if anyone knows if the bolt for the clamp that connects rod to linkage itself is a captive/welded nut that cant be undone/removed...?
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/peester/Photo0331.jpg
i was hoping to replace it with a nice new stainless nyloc..
If not ill go ape with some threadlock lol..
(having jip with it loosening)
Also i take it the position it sits in on the shaft is dictacted by the gearstick netural position-holding-it-there bit..? as on my own i cant tell what the other bit is doing..

swedge
24-07-10, 08:44 PM
When I was adjusting my linkage o couldn't get the bolt out but with the angle o couldn't give it a wack

Iain
28-07-10, 08:40 AM
Yeah IIRC the nut is captive/welded/part of the clamp, so if it keeps loosening either threadlock or use a longer bolt and a nylock nut on the other side of the nut that's there.

I think as you move the stick side to side it'll twist the rod (in order to twist the linkage) so yeah that's why you hold it far left with the linkage locked in place so they line up. If you need to adjust the angle slightly I think the clamp does come off the rod though.

mowgli
28-07-10, 08:50 AM
as it is a captive nut, and a pinch bolt arrangement, a nylock is not going to be of any use. why not take it off & paint it up in nice shiny black??

AlexW
28-07-10, 09:58 AM
^it would work, you just may have to drill out the old nut slighty.

The clamp does come off as iain said though, and peester if you want one, one here you can have for free.

peester
28-07-10, 04:57 PM
ill try the longer bolt / threadlock option..
i dont need it to be shiney lol - stainless just doesnt weather, so no worries bout needing to replace/undo it in future..
all i want is that clamp not loosing its grip of the shaft.
Solid engine mounts are making any nyloc bolts rattle loose lol that and i didnt torque everything up lol

peester
28-07-10, 06:40 PM
ah.. or find a better designed clamp?!

GRUNT 16V
28-07-10, 09:27 PM
or how about a longer bolt and a stainless nyloc?????

peester
28-07-10, 09:43 PM
yes ill do the longer bolt thing