PDA

View Full Version : heavy duty clutch

Trendall
24-07-10, 04:00 AM
whats the best clutch to buy for a nova. i want the reasurance that if i do a burnout pulling off from a steep hill ect... that it wont burn out or break easy i have had a look and i have found this CLICKY (http://www.motoscope.co.uk/clutches.htm) the Helix Cerametallic Sporting Clutch would that be the best bet or is there better? any help making light of this would be greatly appreciated thanks in advance james

bazil
24-07-10, 04:06 AM
Depends on if you actually need it?

1.2 eh no
LET Maybe
TUNED LET recomended

also depends on how much traction you have ie LSD wide tyres and how agressive you usually drive.

Trendall
24-07-10, 04:12 AM
tbh its more of peace of mind for myself as i dont have break down cover and my mum lives in a 1 way road and the only way to leave is up a mahuzive hill where you have to sit at the top on the steepest part waiting for the traffic to clear before pulling out. thats why i would like to have a better clutch then the one i have now as mine gets very funny when driving sometimes pot holes ect... make my clutch go weird its like i can feel the inards of my gear box when i put the clutch in after hitting a pot hole or bump in the road maybe i just need a new clutch or whatever but it would be nice to get a better one then standard

bazil
24-07-10, 04:20 AM
My gsi ran for 2 years about 30,000 miles on a gm one, no probs
as for breakdown cover, get a lloyds tsb select or gold account and get breakdown cover for free with the AA, I've got it and used it :)

Trendall
24-07-10, 04:24 AM
ill have to have a look around for breakdown cover i think kwikfit do a break down service but need to make sure its to pick me up and drop me off at my house not just some random garage in the middle of nowhere

AlexW
24-07-10, 10:08 AM
Depending on the spec of the clutch it can be a right ****, a paddle clutch with no springs will soon be tiring. Just stick to standard clutch, My little corsa managed 170k on one clutch.

General Baxter
24-07-10, 10:19 AM
std gm clutch FTW, just dont drive like a cock lol

mowgli
24-07-10, 10:20 AM
i can't remember what spec your car is, but a standard clutch is very strong & reliable. in 200k odd miles of nova driving over the years, i never had one fail.

General Baxter
24-07-10, 10:21 AM
i had one at 300miles, but i drove like a cock lol

mowgli
24-07-10, 12:27 PM
nick, you blew a gearbox in what, 5 minutes in the blue one????

blue_peg_16v
24-07-10, 12:57 PM
its a 1.2 it wont do a burnout lol

seriously standard gm will be fine or a decent aftermarket eg ap (still standard spec tho) no need for a performance clutch on a 1.2 iirc was the same clutch on the 1.3 and maybe 1.4 so designed to take more power anyway

Paul
24-07-10, 01:21 PM
I have paddle clutch, it's lovely

mk1nova_rich
24-07-10, 01:31 PM
a brand new GM clutch will be far more than adequate (get the full kit not just friction plate) and not break the bank either. And the clutch would be the least of my worries regarding breaking down. Use the money you would have spent on a paddle clutch on some decent breakdown cover for total peace of mind.

blue_peg_16v
24-07-10, 01:38 PM
I have paddle clutch, it's lovely

you also have a proper engine lol