PDA

View Full Version : battery power drain

Dave
13-05-03, 10:38 AM
turned me car off last night everything turned off went to start it this am nothing won't even turn over, got another battery an checked but nothing was left on.
could it be alt. not charging battery? if so how would i check?
any suggestions/things to check

Dicko
13-05-03, 11:33 AM
check you earth conenctions, like from the battry to the shell, then the connection on your alternator, there is an earth that goes from your alt to the engine, this needs to be checked as the alt uses rubber gromits to doesnt earth to the engine without this wire. other option is ur alt is f**d

ade
13-05-03, 02:14 PM
if car was ok last night and battery totally flat this morning it prob wouldnt be an alternatior prob coz that charges as cars running.

More like youve left yer lights on or yer stereo never turned itself off (on but on mute or summut). You got an amp? May not have turned off.

Do as Dicko says and do you have a buzzer if lights left on?

Ade

mikeoxford
13-05-03, 02:39 PM
my alarm wont arm if anything is left on

Dave
13-05-03, 03:46 PM
got no amp an stereo is wired from ignition so when ig. is off so is h/u
got lights buzzer an they were turned off.
wondered if alt. wasn't charging the battery when it was runnin it would be flat in the am?
will have a look at the earths
cheers guys
an :? @ mikes alarm!

mikeoxford
13-05-03, 10:09 PM
an :? @ mikes alarm!

nah its a good thing

u know when you press the button and it goes beep beep

well on mine it just stays beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep contiunous until u turn whatever it is off or close the door or bonnet uv left open or summat

PeteG
13-05-03, 11:27 PM
Loose battery terminals or more likley the earth strap on the engine,at one end of the gearbox. crap bit of braid,always breaking down.

Dave
14-05-03, 10:18 AM
got out of work last night car wouldn't start again,checked all the wires from engne & alt all fine, so put the spare battery on (had one in the car just in case!) soon as i connected the terminals up the starter motor clicked with the ignition off so goin to get new one today.
thought i'd fill you in with what the answer was
cheers for your help guys

Aragorn
14-05-03, 11:04 AM
sounds like solenoid

motor doesnt click it turns

solenoid clicks when it engages the starter gear and closes the main power contact to teh starter

mowgli
14-05-03, 08:51 PM
get the battery checked properly with a discharge tester, checking the alternator is easy, check the battery voltage with the engine off, and then when it is running having bump started it. I have known the battery light bulb to blow, this stops the charging circuit from working, it is also connected to fuse 18 this can cause big problems.

2litreturbo
14-05-03, 11:15 PM
unlikely to be the alternator cos if it wasn't charging, and the battery was flat, you couldn't bump start it cos there would be no power to the coil to give you a spark. When you bump start a car with a flat battery, the alternator spins fast enough to generate enough charge to give a spark.