PDA

View Full Version : Renault clio crank sensors..?

Stuart
23-07-10, 12:05 PM
A friend of mine has had her 3rd crank sensor fail on the 1.2 post 2000 clio.

Is there something that can be done to extend their life (bar not using the car lol).

I replaced it with an expensive one first, then a cheap one, both lasted the same length of time. She does short journeys in that there london so its not getting the runs it needs but still shouldnt be eating crank sensors

tony k
23-07-10, 01:12 PM
my mate had the same problem,had 2 with 6 months,we couldnt figure it out,thats the french for you,we even asked a guy we know who was working for renualt at the time,he couldnt figure it out either,its still a mistery really,just tell her to buy antother car lol

Spudly
23-07-10, 03:02 PM
Tis a common as muck problem, youre supposed to replace the sensor and part of the mini loom to it, tis a nice £60-odd bit of trade to Renault everytime one goes down, although ive not seen the same car come back into our workshop once its had both done!

Total Vauxhall
23-07-10, 05:28 PM
I'd agreed with the above... dear old Mrs Reid's 51 Clio 16v developed a strange issue where you could turn the key and there would be nothing, as in dead. Assumed it was the starter motor relays or similar but a local auto spark was adament it was the crank sensor... I argued the point saying if it was, surely it would crank but not fire?

In the end I put a genuine crank sensor on it and the modified section of loom... aka, a slightly different multiplug connection that I was relieved of £27 for... and once fitted the car has never missed a beat for the past 4 months. Most bizarre.

craig green
23-07-10, 05:31 PM
/\ French toss & always the other half's motor.

Get shot of ASAP IMO. lol

paddy138
23-07-10, 05:48 PM
yeah its usually the pins that push back on the connection and not the sensor, go to reno and buy the sensor and connection and you should be ok,