PDA

View Full Version : LHD Shells?

amggsi
22-07-10, 10:02 PM
Does anyone know for sure what the difference in a RHD and LHD shell is?

Does the bulkhead have to be cut out and changed if converting from left to right hand drive, or is it just a matter of swapping the mechanical bits over?

bazil
22-07-10, 10:05 PM
Steering colum mounts, accelerator pedal mount, scuttle panel all need to be changed and slight mod for the steering colum to fit through the bulkhead not too sure about the bolt holes for the brake pedal linkage.

Andy
22-07-10, 10:06 PM
see an old wip thread by RSTChris,he had a left hooker

amggsi
22-07-10, 10:09 PM
see an old wip thread by RSTChris,he had a left hooker

Did he convert it though?

@Bazil - it's not a real difficult job then? I know with the Mantas the whole bulkhead has to be cut out and replaced, which isn't worthwhile doing in my opinion........

AlexW
22-07-10, 10:11 PM
RSTChris did indeed convert, cut bulkhead out iirc.

Only way to do it imo, plus as bazil hinted, the wipers go the wrong way so will have to change that too.

Edd
22-07-10, 10:17 PM
Alot of grief tbh

Only worth doing if your importing a Spider IMO

Graeme
22-07-10, 10:29 PM
I think all of Chris' pics have been removed, I would like to see what was involved though

MattBrown
22-07-10, 10:48 PM
My local vauxhall says shells are still available in lhd.

And they are indeed on opc.

Think he is lying though lol

Cant be that hard tbh, just time consuming, and more effort than its worth lol

simonm
22-07-10, 10:50 PM
i have a clean lhd shell think i may have been talkin on another forum goin cheap

phunkynova
23-07-10, 08:54 PM
I've had both lhd and rhd cars the bulkhead is different, would take some work to change it, I've never done it and wouldn't like to. But if your good at metal work should be doable. It's 100% not just a case swapping bits over.

blue_peg_16v
23-07-10, 09:52 PM
phils new sell is a left hooker that has now been converted he didnt replace the whole bulkhead he took the brackets carefully out another shell and welded them in position.

its not to hard by all accounts i wouldnt do it but then i dont have phils dedtication to novas lol

Novasport
23-07-10, 10:04 PM
Mark Ridley (Novacabrio) had done it on his old Spider. The steering rack brace needs changing and some new holes making. You will just have a few spare holes that need filling. Wiper holes are in wrong place aswell. Mark got round that with a single wiper conversion

simonm
23-07-10, 10:10 PM
i have a lhd here if any one wants pics of where things sit

bazil
23-07-10, 10:35 PM
Picture of bulhead from standing at the front of the car, especially where the steering rack is mounted:) ta

simonm
23-07-10, 10:39 PM
no prob ill get some tomorrow it has engine still in but should still see all mounts

bazil
23-07-10, 10:43 PM
Thanks

amggsi
23-07-10, 11:54 PM
I've had both lhd and rhd cars the bulkhead is different, would take some work to change it, I've never done it and wouldn't like to. But if your good at metal work should be doable. It's 100% not just a case swapping bits over.

That's what I wanted to hear, too much work and as most have probably seen in my other thread, the car isn't special enogh to warrant the conversion.
Still might import a decent Corsa GT if I ever find one though, but keep it lhd......