PDA

View Full Version : insurance write off question

mowgli
22-07-10, 05:15 PM
our 2002 caddy van swallowed a load of water in an enormous puddle the other week.....

the insurance took it away & decided it was a writeoff & then we ended up with it in our w/shop....

long & short of it: we fixed it.....

now we have a written off van that is in 100% running condition.....

how do we go about getting it made kosher & legal again?

will it need a new mot or one of those vosa tests?? as it actually has no structural damage

badboydc
22-07-10, 05:42 PM
what was it a cat c or d

Plug
22-07-10, 05:47 PM
D im guessing as it would have been an engine fault

skyinsurance
22-07-10, 05:48 PM
It will need a VIC test to get a new V5 through and an MOT I believe.

Dom
22-07-10, 05:51 PM
All depends wether its a cat C or D
For C will need a Mot and Vic check you can then apply to the dvla for the V5 which there will be no charge
For D just Mot and and send off for V5 although there may be a £25 charge
Hope this helps

Edit: as its commercial im sure it wont even need a VIC if its cat C just MOT

CoolTiger
22-07-10, 05:51 PM
get a vic on it

L14MNP
22-07-10, 05:52 PM
If it's a D all you need to do is reapply for the log book. I can't remember if the old MOT is invalid though. I believe it is.

If C then it needs a VIC check.

I'm sure Oly knows more though!

skyinsurance
22-07-10, 05:56 PM
I'm sure Oly knows more though!

Probably not fella, I'm going on my previous experience of buying a cat c'd Uno Turbo many moons ago.

SR-Rally
23-07-10, 12:29 AM
As above. D just need to apply for logbook and re mot it. And it's surely a D. A friend brought an mx3 at auction cat D wrightoff as a big scratch down door and quarter panel. Put it straight in for mot next day. Job done

Scooby_Eater
23-07-10, 11:08 AM
cat c needs VIC 90% of time
cat d just apply for log book and if you have an mot certificate its still valid to use (or get a duplicate)

check this site to see if a VIC marker is set
http://www.taxdisc.direct.gov.uk/EvlPortalApp/application?origin=vnav_bar.jsp&event=bea.portal.framework.internal.refresh&pageid=Vehicle+Enquiry

mowgli
23-07-10, 05:59 PM
well. after a fairly brief chat with the insurance company, who hadn't requested his v5 yet.... the van is now not a write off & is ok to be used.

but the inspecting garage is in for a bollocking for announcing it was a dead loss.....

craig green
23-07-10, 06:11 PM
How did you fix it???

What was knackered on it?

mowgli
23-07-10, 06:19 PM
WELL........injectors out, air intake pipes off, tipped the intercooler upside down.... then hand cranked it over.. water started coming out... the cambelt was checked & the timing was ok, so we got brave, the starter was used..... that blew the remaining water out. then we put the injectors & tried it... it runs perfectly

General Baxter
23-07-10, 07:00 PM
aha midlands mince FTW lol

mowgli
23-07-10, 08:10 PM
the midlands method would have left the injectors in.........

some years back, our old merc van had its vacuum pump drive shear (really common fault on old mercs), the driver recognised the noise & stopped immediately. because if you aren't careful, it takes out the cam chain, and knackers the engine... so it got recovered. when the recovery garage looked at it, it had already seized....... & it needed a new engine. so my stepdad paid up. when he got to collect it, they checked the load in the back, which had been neatly stacked brick samples to find bricks flung all over the inside of the van, and the outside appeared to be covered in mud that matched the puddle in the garages yard.... so to conclude they had ragged it round to make it seize so aa £50 job became a £5000 job

stupot89
23-07-10, 08:55 PM
just for everyones information CAT C WRITE OFF COMERCIAL VEHICLES DO NOT NEED A VIC CHECK cat c cars do :)

mowgli
23-07-10, 08:59 PM
Thats Safe.....................