PDA

View Full Version : £150 to spend on valeting gear

ash anderson
22-07-10, 02:52 PM
hi all basically i think im going to get my gf to buy me some valeting gear for my birthday, i have all the usual TFR<super resin polish, vinyl cleaner, do do juice wax ETC and all the rest but i want to go a bit further maybe a rotary or orbital polisher! wet/dry hoover etc ive done alot of research into machine polishing so im not as afreaid to take one to my car as i was before i looked into it
any help or recomendations will be ahelp

therealnovaboy
22-07-10, 05:58 PM
its hard to recomend a product to use as it varies with your ability, type, colour, and make of paint.

best money spent would be on a cheep buff.i can recomend this from amazon and is about as good as it gets for the price. would be worth spending money on an old bonet from the scrappy to practice on.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001NMA7XO/ref=s9_simh_gw_p263_i1?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-1&pf_rd_r=1GCXKNW7269Z4PBZMQDT&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=467198433&pf_rd_i=468294

have a look on www.polishedbliss.co.uk (http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk) they have loads of write ups and how tos which would be a good place to start. they stock good products and have a good name for service.

Plug
22-07-10, 06:01 PM
save £147.01 and use the ARC lol

Come on really a spunge, bucket and shampoo is all you need to was a car

£150 is abit OTT isnt it?

Benn
22-07-10, 06:34 PM
save £147.01 and use the ARC lol

£150 is abit OTT isnt it?

No, acr = sh*te and damage to your paint. a sponge with damage paint work.

£150 isn't that much really.

Get a nice big bucket with grit guard.
Get a good wash mit.

Picking a good shampoo isn't to hard. I use Megs Nxt wash and Chemical guys Maxisuds, both you can use in a Snow foam fun too, both give a good clean finish with a good beading.

Get a good Drying towel.

Get some good clay. Again i use Meg's and Dodo jucises. Both are mild which is all you should need. ( you'll want a quick detailer to go with that as a lube)

A good polish can be hard to pick. What colour car do you have?
A lot give better finishes on dark or light cars, so take that to mind. I use Megs stage 2, as it does the job very well (removing light scratches and marks and gives a good base for the wax.

Get some good micro fibre clothes. A good way to test them is to feel them, they will cling to the dry skin on yours hands, the more the cling the better they are.

Next is a good wax, there are alot of waxes out there. Its really down to trial and error here. Again different waxes can and do work better on different colour cars. But Megiuar's, Dodo juice, Chemical guys all make very good waxes. Thing to look for is high content of Carnauba wax. As that is the best stuff and last the longest and gives the best finishes.

Trim gel, still one of the best is Autoglym bumper care.

Glass cleaner tbh is glass cleaner.. Just finish it with Rain-x is my tip.

Tyre gel. There are loads on the market. Depending on how you wanna apply it. Some last better than others. I use the Meg's stuff.

Now depending on how far you wanna go. There are Glazes and sealants and more..

This is the site i get all my stuff from. Its very well priced and quick delivery.

http://www.elitecarcare.co.uk/index.php

Stuart
22-07-10, 06:41 PM
DW5 iirc for a 5% discount on elite ;)

also bilt hamber clay FTW!!!! you get about 100% more than most suppliers and you only need water as the lube :) clay at rinse stage :)

hybridturbo
22-07-10, 06:47 PM
Oh dear get some £8 turtle wax from halfords and a blow job

Dont take the piss out of the poor lass

craig green
22-07-10, 06:56 PM
Detaikling is all the rage to be fair. Somehow cleaning your cars paint & buying the products has been made cool.

Fair play if you want to get into it. If I didnt drive a rusty & dented shed I'd give it a go hobby wise I think.

I've used a rotary polisher before & I dare say with the right skills you could have gleaming paintwork that will be the envy of most car enthusiasts.

Benn knows his stuff.

Graeme
22-07-10, 06:59 PM
So a cap full of Turtle wax in the misses mop bucket and a tesco basics sponge isn't the done thing now, by the looks of it

craig green
22-07-10, 07:02 PM
Like most things in life it comes down to the effort & echnique.

I bet a good pro-valeter with poundshop products could do a better job than a muppett with a shed load of expensive gear.

Plug
22-07-10, 07:05 PM
/\ agree

and graeme thats how i roll lol not turtle wax thou :( fairy liquid for me

Mike
22-07-10, 07:06 PM

+1 £150 of valeting gear FTL :wtf:

Fairy liquid & a bucket & sponge FTW :thumb: :thumb:

Spudly
22-07-10, 07:53 PM
I do hope youre not planning on mopping your car after 'reading up on it' you cannot learn how to machine polish a car through the written word, no matter what anyone tells you.

You need to be shown exactly how to do it properly by someone who is experienced in doing it, if you are not then it wil only end in paintwork damage!

Andy
22-07-10, 07:54 PM
+1 £150 of valeting gear FTL :wtf:

Fairy liquid & a bucket & sponge FTW :thumb: :thumb:
fairy liquid has salt in it mike.

craig green
22-07-10, 07:56 PM

Not to mention its a mild degreaser. Its meant to take cookoing grease from plates & tins, it'll strip off existing wax no problems leaving the paint ripe (raw) for oxidisation.

GDN16v
22-07-10, 08:01 PM
Turtle wax shampoo + bucket + sponge = £15!:thumb:

£135 for beer and strippers later on for your birthday!;)lol:p

Mike
22-07-10, 08:10 PM

Galvanised Corsa C FTW lol

phazer
22-07-10, 08:13 PM
I do hope youre not planning on mopping your car after 'reading up on it' you cannot learn how to machine polish a car through the written word, no matter what anyone tells you.

You need to be shown exactly how to do it properly by someone who is experienced in doing it, if you are not then it wil only end in paintwork damage!

With a rotary yes, paint burn is extremely likely for a beginner, a random orbital is much much less likely to burn through unless you're dliberately being daft.

Spudly
22-07-10, 08:18 PM
I would 99% guess he is referring to a rotary polisher as thats pretty much the one everyone has seen/heard of, and they can be and are very violent, ive seen them snap out of peoples hands, break fingers, catch things and cause massive cuts, and i use one most days lol

GDN16v
22-07-10, 08:20 PM
I would 99% guess he is referring to a rotary polisher as thats pretty much the one everyone has seen/heard of, and they can be and are very violent, ive seen them snap out of peoples hands, break fingers, catch things and cause massive cuts, and i use one most days lol

You should get danger money for doing that then!:eek:

craig green
22-07-10, 08:28 PM
I agree with the above, its not something the inexperienced should play with unless its an old cheap panel. But I played with a rotary mop & got on with it OK.

I was aware of the consequences & suchlike. I took it carefully & held on tight.

Everyone seems to want a piece of the action though when it comes to car cleaning. I bet theres people that would attempt paint correction on a new car that didnt need it for the sake of doing something.

Benn
22-07-10, 08:41 PM
Galvanised Corsa C FTW lol

And making a red one if its pink with in a few months, as fairy strips off grease and wax it will fade the paint 10x times faster. And just make the car look sh*t.

The turtle wax wash isn't too bad, but please use a wash mit. A sponge picks up and holes all the dirt and grit. So every time you use it your just making the car look even worse.

True, i learnt by watching the guys at the bodyshop. Working out what things they did wrong and doing it differently to be better at it..lol
I didn't get hardly any swirl makes or tiny scratches in it as they did..

Mike
22-07-10, 09:03 PM
And making a red one if its pink with in a few months, as fairy strips off grease and wax it will fade the paint 10x times faster. And just make the car look sh*t.

Mines white :) unfadeable so far lol lol

Ive only washed it twice anyway, well once as the second time I took it to a car wash lol not bad for 12 months use :cool:

Plug
22-07-10, 09:27 PM
/\ lol the green ones been washed 3 times in 12 months lol

Southie
22-07-10, 09:29 PM
You'd get 3 really good valets for £150. Get a mobile valeter out ;)

Benn
22-07-10, 10:08 PM
Mines white :) unfadeable so far lol lol

Ive only washed it twice anyway, well once as the second time I took it to a car wash lol not bad for 12 months use :cool:

Oh that hurts me deep in side.

I've washed my car twice since Billing.

Mike
22-07-10, 10:08 PM
Oh that hurts me deep in side.

lol lol lol its only a van Ben & a Corsa C, so need to lose any sleep mate lol hehe

Benn
22-07-10, 10:09 PM
See edit, and i still fancy a C with a Zlet.

Mike
22-07-10, 10:11 PM
See edit, and i still fancy a C with a Zlet.

Twice since Billing!! Fook that, mine was took round a car wash day before PV, an then washed when I originally got it back in September last year lol

C van with a ZLET is what you want :cool:

Benn
22-07-10, 10:14 PM
*start screaming in side" dude my work van get washed once a week...

I washed mine the Monday after Billing...

Southie
22-07-10, 10:18 PM
Twice since Billing!! Fook that, mine was took round a car wash day before PV, an then washed when I originally got it back in September last year lol

C van with a ZLET is what you want :cool:

That C van owned by beardy "Fedup" was a winner.

Mike
22-07-10, 10:18 PM
^sod that :S but Ive never been one for washing cars, if im totally honest Id rather mow the lawn then wash a car!!

Benn
22-07-10, 10:20 PM
See i dont mind it, seeing the car all cleaning and gleaming is a good feeling.

Mike
22-07-10, 10:21 PM
See i dont mind it, seeing the car all cleaning and gleaming is a good feeling.

Not really my thing lol altho lifting the bonnet to reveal a spotlessly clean engine, now that, thats a different story altogether :cool:

Southie
22-07-10, 10:22 PM
^sod that I'd rather mow lawn then wash a car!!

Mike with all your eGaying skills I thought you must live in Nelson Mandela flats lol

ash anderson
23-07-10, 09:24 AM
sorry about the late reply evryone, basically i have a polar white sr nova, and no matter how hard i try i carnt get it clean clean now ive seen white cars gleaming, i usually wash it with ag bodywork shampoo, rinse, dry then polish treat bumpers and vinyls etc but some of the paint work has faded i usually consist of a satday morning doing the lot and hoovering it i just want to go a step further i am getting a price ona rotary polisher today ;)

Stuart
23-07-10, 09:32 AM
after a polish you MUST wax/sealer it! otherwise it will "fade"

Benn
23-07-10, 12:21 PM
what do you use as polish? As ssid you need you wax it after you polish or its a waist of time

ash anderson
23-07-10, 02:18 PM
what do you use as polish? As ssid you need you wax it after you polish or its a waist of time

i do use do do juice

Welsh Dan
23-07-10, 03:50 PM
http://m.blog.hu/ha/haztartas/image/TisztÃ*tószerek/Cillit%20Bang%20fürdő.jpg

+

http://www.rolexreferencepage.com/SMP%20Clasp/scotchbrite1.jpg

Use the green textured surface to remove any stubborn bird**** before you go over the whole car with the sponge :thumb:

Benn
23-07-10, 07:46 PM
Wow your car must look utter sh*te is you do that^

Benn
23-07-10, 07:47 PM
i do use do do juice

Light fantastic is perfect over light coloured car. Put that on after polishing.
Remember light cars look best in low light, as you'll see the shine better.

Jon_nova1
23-07-10, 07:55 PM
I dont wash my car....well i did once when i first got it because it was owned by a mum, but it hasn't complained about being dirty!