PDA

View Full Version : Painting bonnet

Jack
22-07-10, 02:45 PM
Due to heat from the engine and the vent not letting enough out (lol) my bonnet has suffered massive paint fade. So much in fact that its pretty much back to primer! Polishing/cutting is therefore not an option any more.

Should I attempt to repaint it myself, using mixed-in-store paint from Halfrauds (as their off the shelf stuff is terrible, and the mixed is pretty good), or just go to Mr T who have a bodyshop round the corner from me and have them give it a lick of paint?

Self-paint would probably be cheaper - estimate about 1 large can of primer, then maybe 3 of colour to provide a decent 4-5 layers of colour. So call it £50. Pro paint I would guess to be at least £100 for a bonnet...

And whilst we're here, can anyone suggest some decent heat-reflective coating or tape that I can clad the underside of the bonnet with to protect it a bit?

MK999
22-07-10, 02:50 PM
pro paint it, rattle canning it will look crap, and also probably cost more than you think, if you sand it down etc ready for primer yourself it should be less than £100 I would think, unless you want it to show the rest of the car up lol

Isn't it due to go another colour entirely though? if so I'd leave it and wait tbh, or patch it up with 1 can of colour to make it look less faded lol

Heat reflect wise rally design/merlin maybe OBP the new sponsor? should all have some kind of heat reflective sticky sheets or something.

MattBrown
22-07-10, 02:51 PM
Would a nova saloon underbonnet mat not help?

And just get a compressor and gun, and do it.

But saying that, is the car a minter? as it probably wont matter if not.

Jack
22-07-10, 03:00 PM
Isn't it due to go another colour entirely though?
Cock, apologies. Forgot to mention, this is the Celica. Hence the hot engine and bonnet vent lol

If it was the Nova, I'd just rattle can it without even thinking twice. I did the bootlid with Halfords mixed paints, came out well and that was just a quick few layers and buff up job. With a bit more effort it could come out even better, but not sure if I could get it good enough for the Celica.

brainsnova
22-07-10, 03:07 PM
pro paint and get the price down to £75 :cool:

GDN16v
23-07-10, 04:37 PM
Pro paint and get some Kevlar heat barrier sheet or Reflect a Gold sheet from Demon Tweeks to stick to the underside of the bonnet to reflect some of the heat!:thumb:

craig green
23-07-10, 04:44 PM
bare metal/Patina is all the rage don't you know.

Seriously though, if its the Sleeka' it's pro job all the way surely?

bazil
23-07-10, 04:52 PM
meh remove said bonnet and replace with chicken mesh to prevent small children being sucked into the engine,

really its got to be a pro job with proper heat shielding, my mates old fiestra turbo had a similar problem, 3 times in 2 years it was painted.

mayhem
23-07-10, 05:10 PM
youre proud of the celica, so get it done properly.

Nova_Tek
23-07-10, 11:17 PM
Celica or not, pro paint all the time.

bazil
23-07-10, 11:21 PM
Or not to paint?

http://www.pngclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=152018

Or even

http://i790.photobucket.com/albums/yy181/Bazil_2468/e286872e.jpg

Trendall
24-07-10, 01:10 AM
i painted my bonnet with rattle cans and no matter how much i put on nore how much i took it back im still left with streaks in the paint work no matter what i do i cant sort it the primer was easy to do and work'd a treat but the paint side i struggled with so IMO i would get it ready primer it and then send it off to the shop to get sprayed properly then you would get a nice finish also if you have a few extra quid to spend get them to buff the whole car up to match the bonnet. a bonnet use's less then a litre of paint and if you use your own primer then its alot cheaper. id be looking at spending around £50/75 at the most just for the spray. and get down to the local pound shop to buy 3/4cans of primer