PDA

View Full Version : Any insurers actuall give REAL discount for 10+yrs no claims?

Stuart
21-07-10, 02:22 PM
Everywhere seems to be 4-5yrs as the 'max' but Myself and Carly have 11 and 10 years respectively NCB.

Is there any insurererere that actually makes a discount for that level of NCB? or do they all just stop at 5yrs?

Jack
21-07-10, 02:41 PM
All the companies I've dealt with in the past - quite a few - consider 5 to be max, even if they ask for more.

Stuart
21-07-10, 02:54 PM
ghey, why have I bothered to keep it lol

Also does driving to "parents" house twice a week count as commuting?

eg Carly drives to her mums house Monday and Tuesday, then catches the train to work from near there. And on a Friday drives to the local railway station carpark and gets the train from there..... Does that count as "commuting to a permanent place of employment" ?

Jack
21-07-10, 03:58 PM
Technically yes, as its part of her journey to work. The trip to the family home you could probably blag, but the trip to the station would certainly be considered part of a commute.

rubachuk
21-07-10, 05:23 PM
I had an enormous arguement with an insurance company a few years back, RAC I think.

They provided me with a renewal note stating my NCB was at 5 years. I had 9 years when I took out the policy so it should have been at 10 years. When I phoned up to request a revised renewal they told me 5 years was their maximum. No matter how slowly I tried to explain it to the simpleton on the other end of the phone that while 5 years might be THEIR maximum, that wasn't the case for ALL other insurance companies. The concept of there being other insurance companies seem somewhat beyond him unfortunately.

I never did get a letter clarifying the situation from them, although I would've kicked off royally if I'd looked like losing 5 years NCB because the RAC computer system couldn't deal with it. Thankfully my next insurer didn't even ask for proof and I was credited with the full 10 years, I guess the insurance database holds your full entitlement.

Stuart
21-07-10, 06:08 PM
Technically yes, as its part of her journey to work. The trip to the family home you could probably blag, but the trip to the station would certainly be considered part of a commute.

just had a play with/without commuting and its £1 difference... not worth it for the risk lol

That said, admiral want £754 for passat, vx and nova (broken down as £292,£324 and £137 respectively) and without the nova its £735 (broken down as passat £348 and vx £387) lol

talk about make things up as you go along lol :mad:

craig green
21-07-10, 06:13 PM
Almost off topic, but can I advise you go carefull parking cars in railways property.

If anything happened to it or it gets stolen its a matter for the rail police & not the regular plod. I wont go into it but trust me that really is a massive amount of hassle & it will never be recovered nor will you get any assistance should it even resurface on your doorstep. Be carefull & find out where the boundary lies for the railway station in question.

Stuart
21-07-10, 06:15 PM
I say railway station carpark... its really one of the caaaancail P&D's nearby

craig green
21-07-10, 06:20 PM
Furry muff. A mates Nova was stolen from a railway carpoark yonlks ago. It was enough grief to report it stolen, but when it kept being spotted about the place we just couldnt actually get anyone to help us recover it short of risking being knifed by some junkies.

I think I went into our police staion 3 times to say where it was parked.. They just would not assist .

So if you want to get away with theft, steal from a railway station.

blue_peg_16v
22-07-10, 07:01 PM
I had an enormous arguement with an insurance company a few years back, RAC I think.

They provided me with a renewal note stating my NCB was at 5 years. I had 9 years when I took out the policy so it should have been at 10 years. When I phoned up to request a revised renewal they told me 5 years was their maximum. No matter how slowly I tried to explain it to the simpleton on the other end of the phone that while 5 years might be THEIR maximum, that wasn't the case for ALL other insurance companies. The concept of there being other insurance companies seem somewhat beyond him unfortunately.

I never did get a letter clarifying the situation from them, although I would've kicked off royally if I'd looked like losing 5 years NCB because the RAC computer system couldn't deal with it. Thankfully my next insurer didn't even ask for proof and I was credited with the full 10 years, I guess the insurance database holds your full entitlement.

no it dosent alot of companies are now stoping asking for proof of ncd upfront now, to cut admin costs as theres less post to sort so fewer staff needed its also the same reason most have done away with the proposal forms you used to have to sign and send back (also all major companies record calls now so if you claim its there error when its yours they will just pull the call and you can even request a copy of the call yourself if your not happy). the only time a company that hasnt asked for proof up front will ask to see it, is in the event of a claim, and if unable to prove they will void the policy, with your circumstance tho it would of been easy would just mean requesting proof from the company before the rac and the rac to confirm continuity, if the rac were arses and wouldnt sent writen proof, the last company i worked for only went to 5 years on docs and system but when proof of ncd was recived the exact years were recorded on policy notes so at renewal if 5years wasnt sufficient and the policy holder called we could manual write and send a letter with the correct years ncd