PDA

View Full Version : 1.6 8v nova

14nova
20-07-10, 09:37 PM
hi

i just bought a nova with a 1600 8v engine fitted. am looking to see if anyone can tell me a bit of info about this setup. its a x16szr out of a mark 4 astra fitted with a pierburg 2e3 (i think).
ive been on looking head work etc and got quoted the following
head work 200
cam 200
pulley 100
then he will set up the carb properly

ive put up a picture of the engine that the fela i bought it of had taken. when i was on the phone about getting it tuned he said to find out if its a round or square port head. i plan to pull of the carb manifold and find out, but what im looking to know in the mean time is
how do i know what carb is on it? is there a code on it?
what ht/coil leads to use and need new ones and what coil should be use as the one on it is a but rough and would like to replace it
i take it that the thing on the left of the head beside the cam pully is a vacum pump? but it isnt connected up to anything should it be?
lastly just out of the picture on the bottom left is a a fse fuel regulator, i was told when buying it to keep it between 3 and 3 1/2, is this a good thing to have fitted?

sorry of asking so much but looking to find abit of info before i start spending money

thanks folks
jonny

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a101/teamlsm/fd59f8de.jpg

heres a picture of it from the forsale post
http://i421.photobucket.com/albums/pp291/neal-m/corsa/nova.jpg

Asa-James
20-07-10, 10:40 PM
thats a pierburg 2e3 with manual choke conversion, and the "vac pump" is a fuel pump, i'm guessing it has another fuel pump installed somewhere making that one redundant

MattBrown
20-07-10, 10:42 PM
Is it a mk4 astra engine?

With a mechanical pump, and a dizzy?

14nova
20-07-10, 10:48 PM
asa james think the fuel pressure thing is replacing it. theres power going to it aswell, ill take a picture of it tomorrow and let ya see it. would i be better using the standard pump? how do ya know its a pierburg?

mattbrown yeah its from a mark 4 astra and converted to run a carb and dizzy. i didnt do the conversion i just bought the car with this fitted

mk1nova_rich
20-07-10, 11:10 PM
Pierburg 2E3 is the standard carb from all Nova SRs so are easily identifiable to us Nova geeks lol

Asa-James
20-07-10, 11:31 PM
Pierburg 2E3 is the standard carb from all Nova SRs so are easily identifiable to us Nova geeks lol

what he said...

mk1nova_rich
20-07-10, 11:50 PM
i wonder what head/inlet manifold is fitted

burgo
21-07-10, 01:46 AM
i wonder what head/inlet manifold is fittedi would put money on it being a standard head with 1.4sr inlet, carb and dizzy set up. you can see theres a facet type pump fitted on the inner wing, not quite sure why they have gone that route though :confused:

i'm sure as standard they have a fuel return line though, maybe thats why it has the regulator taking it down to 3psi instead, still odd though

mk1nova_rich
21-07-10, 05:49 PM
i would put money on it being a standard head with 1.4sr inlet, carb and dizzy set up. you can see theres a facet type pump fitted on the inner wing, not quite sure why they have gone that route though :confused:

i'm sure as standard they have a fuel return line though, maybe thats why it has the regulator taking it down to 3psi instead, still odd though

yes they do, and it quite a lot of fuel makes it back to the return so i cant see blocking this off a feasible solution no matter what fuel pressure it is run at.

mowgli
21-07-10, 05:56 PM
so what age is the car?? is it a efi mk2, a carb mk2 or a mk1 facelifted

the trouble with the eco 1600 is that they make about 75hp, the compression ratio is not good and the head is to blame. a e16se/c16se or even better, a c14se head would make a hell of an improvement, but would need a round port manifold.

if you got a round port head & a set of webers & manifold, it would make very good power for less than 500 quid

14nova
21-07-10, 08:45 PM
took some pics today.
had a quick look for a fuel return and couldnt see one, raining now so couldnt look and longer. where should it be on the carb?

heres a pic of the fuel pressure regulator
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff268/bellersrodders/IMG00052-20100721-1622.jpg

and one of the coil any ideas what this would of came of? Sr nova? would like to replace this as looking a bit worse for ware

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff268/bellersrodders/IMG00053-20100721-2020.jpg

thanks folks great help so far

burgo
21-07-10, 08:47 PM
well that coil definitely isnt a 1.4sr one, looks more like a 1.2 type coil

Rysee
21-07-10, 08:54 PM
Coil looks the same as my 1ltr one

14nova
21-07-10, 09:03 PM
ummm is a strange setup :)
how would i know what the carb inlet is of? or is it definatly a sr item. would it be worth while sourcing an sr coil? would it make any difference? or would the wiring on it be deferent?

again apologies for all the question

burgo
21-07-10, 09:41 PM
if the coil works it works, changing it will achieve nothing. its is fairly certain that if its a sr carb its an sr inlet

14nova
21-07-10, 09:48 PM
it misses a bit so was goint to replace it and leads and get a timing light on it to make sure dizzy is right.

what do you think about the fuel pressure reg would it be better of using the proper fuel pump?

burgo
21-07-10, 09:52 PM
if it was me i would revert to the standard pump and fuel line set up

14nova
21-07-10, 09:56 PM
ill have to eake a look and see then if there is a fuel return. if not is it a matter of running a line from were it is on the carb to the tank? also where abouts on the carb would the return outlet be?

tanks again for the help

14nova
21-07-10, 10:12 PM
found it there and its blocked of with a screw in the end. is it just a matter of running a line down to the tank? have to see if i can sort out a inlet in the tank for it tho