PDA

View Full Version : Paint type people

Mike
20-07-10, 09:05 PM
I know a couple of you lot on here are bodywork pros an such like so I needs your halps!

Had a bit of whoopsie with some 2pac paint & clear lacqure (sp?) an ended up with this :confused:

Anyone ideas?

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j181/mikenova/Random/100_1513.jpg

We are not currently amused :(

djbrowney
20-07-10, 09:07 PM
was this from a rattle can or a gun ???

Mike
20-07-10, 09:08 PM
was this from a rattle can or a gun ???

A gun, I dont know what paint brand though (if that makes any difference)

Its Star Silver with lacquer finish thats all I know :confused: the shÃ*tty bits appear to be in the lacquer tho not the actual colour like.

16v Nova Kev
20-07-10, 09:10 PM
looks like a plain old reaction to me. does it have to be laquered.

Mike
looks like a plain old reaction to me. does it have to be laquered.

Apparently so, its a metallic colour. I dont actually 100% know, I didnt spray it lol

djbrowney
i have had this before with rattle cans, when putting the laqure on it seemed to re activate the base coat and mixed them together making a right balls up of it lol

does it look like thats happened ???

Mike
20-07-10, 09:11 PM
i have had this before with rattle cans, when putting the laqure on it seemed to re activate the base coat and mixed them together making a right balls up of it lol

does it look like thats happened ???

If im honest I cant really tell, if you hold it upto a white light it fcuks your eyes up as the metallic finish it pretty "deep" like

16v Nova Kev
20-07-10, 09:12 PM
are you going to try and fix it or what

Mike
20-07-10, 09:13 PM
are you going to try and fix it or what

Probably not as its only a slam panel, but I just dont want it happening to the rest of the panels (bonnet, boot & wings - all GRP same as this peice)

djbrowney
20-07-10, 09:13 PM
well the star silver is matalic, is there little mattalic bits in the laqure (**** theres some **** spelling in this thread) lol

Mike
20-07-10, 09:15 PM
Looking at it with the light off it does look like the colour has reactivated with the lacqure actually :S

Rub it down & start again, am I ok doing this??

djbrowney
20-07-10, 09:18 PM
would primer it again to stop it reacting with the next layer of paint, try a differnt laqure !

16v Nova Kev
20-07-10, 09:19 PM
ok all i can say is if this happens at my work it would need to be rubbed back 320grit would do then primered(which may react with any old stuff thats left on) so get rid of the old shat. then i would use water base for the silver as it dont react much if at all with anything then clear laquer.
hope this helps.

djbrowney
20-07-10, 09:21 PM
cant use water based at home in your garage you need funky stuff for that dont you ???

16v Nova Kev
20-07-10, 09:27 PM
no its ace stuff. you can dry it with a hair dryer. its latex based and you just wash the gun out with water. its also mad to watch dryin too cos some paint like vw magic black comes out the tin green goes on purple and dryes black wtf lol

Mike
20-07-10, 09:32 PM
Nice one for the heads up & help chaps :) +repz y0!

16v Nova Kev
20-07-10, 09:33 PM
pity you werent closer to me or could post them i would sort them for cheapness.

Mike
20-07-10, 10:05 PM
pity you werent closer to me or could post them i would sort them for cheapness.

If you was closer (within 100 mile) id bring them over, had a bad today what with this I also busted my bloody phone aswell!! Been relegated from a Blackberry to an acient Nokia 1901 lol in black & white with a wind up handle lol lol lol

16v Nova Kev
20-07-10, 10:55 PM
ha ah raf out roud.

Nova_Tek
20-07-10, 11:25 PM
no its ace stuff. you can dry it with a hair dryer. its latex based and you just wash the gun out with water. its also mad to watch dryin too cos some paint like vw magic black comes out the tin green goes on purple and dryes black wtf lol

Water based FTW. My one was resprayed in water based paint.

The colours do look od when in the cup, the carbon black on my bumpers is a pruple-green tint but it comes out proper black on the bumper.

That would either be a reaction (if you see cracks in the paint) or it wasn't applied well. Maybe the surroundings were too hot making the laquer dry soon as it hit the surface making it very patchy. (Can't really tell much from the pic)

Best to remove the paint totally and try again.

mr5050
21-07-10, 11:12 AM
this happened to me with hand cans, i think i didnt let the the base colour dry for long enough?

craig green
21-07-10, 11:32 PM
Just a thought, but its been proper humid of late. Thats bad for painting & such.
Though I'd expect that to affect drying times really. Anyone?

brainsnova
21-07-10, 11:45 PM
i sprayed a set of alloys years ago and did metallic silver then 20 mins later laquer in rattle cans and it went white in areas where the paint was heavier but dried clear by the next day.

puntogtbax
22-07-10, 12:11 AM
yep looks like the base wasnt 100% dry and put a heavy coat of clear over it

Nova_Tek
22-07-10, 11:09 AM
The base isn't meant to dry anyway. Meant to apply clearcoat while the paint is tacky. When my Nova was in the booth getting sprayed, the guy did 4 coats of colour and he applied the clearcoat in the time it took him to get out of the booth, clean his gun, prepare the laquer, and go back in.

A reaction looks like small cracks where the paint kinda pulls away, think of it like looking at dry river beds from far up. If it was hot where it was being painted it would dry as it hit the surface and look cloudy in areas, either that or it wasnt applied properly.

16v Nova Kev
22-07-10, 02:16 PM
Just a thought, but its been proper humid of late. Thats bad for painting & such.
Though I'd expect that to affect drying times really. Anyone?
yes it would cos its warm damp air:(

MK999
22-07-10, 02:28 PM
too thick with the lacquer will do that too, have a clouded area in one of my door cards from doing that, although I think its gone now, it slowly shrunk over a summer of sitting in a hot car lol