PDA

View Full Version : steering wheel removal and awkward speedo

marc69
19-07-10, 10:11 PM
I ahve tried to remove the steering wheel from my car to aligh it but it will not move. I tried what I have done previously with mk1 novas, move it about till the spring thing releases, but have neevr done a mk2 before. It will not budge, nut is looose etc, tried moving it, hitting with mallet, got peed off and much to neighbours entertain ment, even tried a hammer, still no joy!!!!

Also I experienced the mk2 speedo, after several hours (compared to 10 mins on mk1s) i evetually reaised that the spedo was actually siezed in the back sensor, what a pain in the....got it done now, not been a good car day although at least there has been entertaonment on my street for such a grey wet day.

marc69
20-07-10, 09:25 AM
any ideas on how to release the wheel?

Iain
20-07-10, 09:27 AM
Steering wheel puller. Or remove column and use a hammer. Have a search it's asked a lot.

Assume you don't like mk2s then?

marc69
20-07-10, 09:28 AM
just finding every job harder than I am used to with earlier models, perhaps just bad luck!

mike williams
20-07-10, 09:47 PM
how i freed my steering wheel off was to have 2 lump hammers
unwind the nut so the end of the thread and nut are flush put the lump hammer handle on the nut and thread and give it a good good couple of hits with the other lump hammer and pull the wheel like hell

marc69
20-07-10, 11:22 PM
Thank may try that as have tried boiling water, hammer, mallett etc and will not budge, completely new experience for me, has been easy on every othe nova I have ever worked on, just been giving me a bad day.

a2lt16v
22-07-10, 11:30 AM
just get a steering wheel puller from halfrauds thats where i got mine think its a skyes pikavant one make sure you get the one with the inverted legs on it tho

mowgli
22-07-10, 11:57 AM
for gods sake, get a puller.... or even chop the wheel off....

smacking the shaft runs the risk if the specially designed crash structure deforming, so you will also need a new column