PDA

View Full Version : strearing Wheel

Lewis.heard
19-07-10, 11:35 AM
I need to get my stearing wheel off my mk 1, could anyone tell me where i could get the special tool to get the wheel off. if there is another technique then it would be of much help.

blue_peg_16v
19-07-10, 11:44 AM
I need to get my stearing wheel off my mk 1, could anyone tell me where i could get the special tool to get the wheel off. if there is another technique then it would be of much help.

heres the tool
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/LASER-STEERING-WHEEL-PULLER-GM-2370-VAUXHALL-22MM-/200293223012?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Hand_Tools_Equipment&hash=item2ea2680a64

may come off without though undo the center nut and give it a good tug

Lewis.heard
19-07-10, 11:50 AM
cheers mate, yeah i did try that coz someone said they've done it loads of time to them, but i almost riped the stearing rack out doing it and the wheel stayed where it was. lol

brainsnova
19-07-10, 11:55 AM
ive never used the tool and pulled around 15 steering wheels off. its on a taper so if you push the bottom of the wheel up with your knees and use your hands at 10 and 2 and tug at the top it wil come off but mind and stop pulling before it hits you in the face lol

mowgli
19-07-10, 12:34 PM
ive never used the tool and pulled around 15 steering wheels off. its on a taper so if you push the bottom of the wheel up with your knees and use your hands at 10 and 2 and tug at the top it wil come off but mind and stop pulling before it hits you in the face lol

it is not a taper. it is simply a splined shaft made of steel that the ally steering wheel seizes onto.

i did a how to article with all the info: http://www.pngclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=114852

Lewis.heard
19-07-10, 12:45 PM
ok, well i'll try the yank it out option although my efforts ain't worked so far and if that faisl i'll then go and get the speciall tool for it.

mowgli
19-07-10, 01:06 PM
a replacement column including postage will cost £25+ then you need to swap the ignition barrel & all other stuff across, the laser tool will maybe cost 12 quid.

the fact that you haven't managed it yet tells me that you will knacker the shaft doing it. if you simply won't get the correct tool, you could try the towel round the wheel & pouring boiling water on the centre. the ally expands quicker than the steel & is a proper old school trick.

people buy the proper tool, use it, then sell it on ebay for similar money....

Lewis.heard
19-07-10, 01:09 PM
oh right ok then, cheers mate, i'll get the tool then, coz i ain't got alot of money and screwing up the stearing column is the last thing i want to do.

Lewis.heard
28-07-10, 12:21 PM
just to let you know mowgli, i brought the speacial laser tool and i'll be taking the wheel off this weekend, thanks again for the advise, much appriciated

mowgli
28-07-10, 12:29 PM
just to let you know mowgli, i brought the speacial laser tool and i'll be taking the wheel off this weekend, thanks again for the advise, much appriciated

thankyou, i can sleep tonight

stt
28-07-10, 01:52 PM
i never bother with the special tool, i loosen the nut then put tension on the wheel by pulling it a bit with knees and left hand and then tap the centre of the column with a hammer to shock release it, works every time!

mowgli
28-07-10, 02:01 PM
i never bother with the special tool, i loosen the nut then put tension on the wheel by pulling it a bit with knees and left hand and then tap the centre of the column with a hammer to shock release it, works every time!

BUT IT DOESN'T WORK EVERY TIME!!!!!!!

i have had one so tight that as well as the puller, it needed a load of boiling water on it to pop it off.

that is why i did the how to article.... too many people were wrecking columns trying to rough ar$e them off