PDA

View Full Version : Mk1 1200 merit engine modifications.

TeddyThom
19-07-10, 02:12 AM
Just wondered what are the best ones to do to it, the aim is to beat my friends little fiat cinqentio(sp??).

It's fairly lightweight at the minute, no rear seats or carpet etc however I will have to put the seats back in it due to a small child I happen to have with my gf lol, I will keep the carpets etc removed, but I would like some ideas on a budget to "whoop his glutus maximus" (not sure on the filter for that one lol).

And would a five speed box be worth the work for speed? Or is that more top end??

Trendall
19-07-10, 02:39 AM
hey teddy my partner also has a child i took everything out of the back apart from the single rear seat its easy. there is a 1.2 tuning guide on here ill get the link up for you in a sec

edit: here's the link http://www.pngclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=93429&highlight=tuning+guide

Jack
19-07-10, 07:51 AM
"whoop his glutus maximus"
lol

Decent brakes, tyres and suspension will help alot. You want to be able to keep speed through corners.

mowgli
19-07-10, 08:55 AM
face facts. in a straight line, a 1.2 nova won't beat much. on twisty stuff it will beat tons of stuff, if done right. obvious mod is a 1.3 or 1.4 engine for a start, cos you will gain 20hp instantly. being a mk1, its 20+ years old. the engine will be lucky to produce 40-45hp, giving it a new set of rings, and a head recon & a proper service & tune up would get it up to 55hp. then a 1300 manifold & downpipe might get you 2-3hp more. but cams & heads are still not going to get you anywhere near std 1400 power.

GRUNT 16V
19-07-10, 10:43 AM
sounds like you should be spending money on your child !!! not the effing car also sounds like you need to grow up as you now have big responsibilty
we do not condone road racing on here !!!!

mk1nova_rich
19-07-10, 05:31 PM
i assume your insurance company has been informed of the trim removal....

TeddyThom
19-07-10, 09:33 PM
sounds like you should be spending money on your child !!! not the effing car also sounds like you need to grow up as you now have big responsibilty
we do not condone road racing on here !!!!
In all fairness matey, I did state there is a budget, she is well cared for and doesn't go without, not that it is any of your business... And I didn't say I was going to beat him "road racing" now did I?? Use your head sunshine, we have an appointment at santa pod at some point. It would be greatly appreciated if you didn't assume stuff. Cheers, have a nice day :thumb:

And to mk1nova_rich yes they have matey don't worry everything is above board :thumb:

And cheers Trendall, I shall have a butchers later this evening, cheers.

marc69
19-07-10, 09:58 PM
if you are trying to get awee bit without much money, champion sparks I find best, get the timing set by strobe light, you may get a little bit of pinking on hard acceleration but if its only a little bit, it shouldn't do any harm. Obviously full service, oil etc helps. KnN filter, lowered suspension (40mm is adequate) but get good shckers and 165/70 tyres will give adequate but cmfortable handlng for this. this lot shouldn't set you back too much but will definately beat a fiat ( assuming the fiat doesn't break down Fit It Again Tomorrow)!

MattBrown
19-07-10, 10:00 PM
if you are trying to get awee bit without much money, champion sparks I find best, get the timing set by strobe light, you may get a little bit of pinking on hard acceleration but if its only a little bit, it shouldn't do any harm. Obviously full service, oil etc helps. KnN filter, lowered suspension (40mm is adequate) but get good shckers and 165/70 tyres will give adequate but cmfortable handlng for this. this lot shouldn't set you back too much but will definately beat a fiat ( assuming the fiat doesn't break down Fit It Again Tomorrow)!

I DETEST cheap crap, uber shat champion plugs, NGK FTW

marc69
19-07-10, 10:14 PM
NGK caused my 1.0 ohv to py up continually, running on and bad starting, had 3 years of this until I decided to back to boring champion, made for better reliability in older engines (they probably don't go as hot?)

Trendall
20-07-10, 01:57 AM
no probs teddythom glad to help.

mk1nova_rich my insurance company has also been informed about the trim removel and lowering my excuse was they were cheaper then standard springs and i removed the seats as i use the car to go camping with and they didnt mind also it lowered my insurance premium by £30 a year :)

garyc
20-07-10, 11:41 AM
1300 inlet and twin choke carb. Also the 1300 4-2-1 cast exhaust maniofld would help if you can find them.

moffat
20-07-10, 12:13 PM
wouldnt it be easier to get the handling sorted first then wait and save up and maybe put a 1.4 or 1.6 in it instead of tuning a 1.2? thats what im doing anyway

Stuart
20-07-10, 12:15 PM
a pikeykit 25bhp of nitrous if its just for pod....

mowgli
20-07-10, 12:25 PM
1300 inlet and twin choke carb. Also the 1300 4-2-1 cast exhaust maniofld would help if you can find them.

will gain about 5hp but waste fuel.

unless you are building a stripped out oval or grasstracker, with a 10000rpm limit, a 1.2 is just not worth the bother.

GRUNT 16V
20-07-10, 01:11 PM
As Above !

burgo
20-07-10, 01:25 PM
will gain about 5hp but waste fuel.

unless you are building a stripped out oval or grasstracker, with a 10000rpm limit, a 1.2 is just not worth the bother.so hes not gonna use more fuel by putting in a bigger engine?

mowgli
20-07-10, 02:07 PM
revving the taters off a 1200 with a 1300 carb will waste as much if not more fuel than a 1300.......the 1300 has tons more torque.

burgo
20-07-10, 02:56 PM
they are not exactly easy to get hold of though are they

mowgli
20-07-10, 03:02 PM
i offered a mates 1300 engine on here in the spring & nobody rang him.

TeddyThom
23-07-10, 10:11 AM
i offered a mates 1300 engine on here in the spring & nobody rang him.
Well if it is still going?? I'll be interested :thumb:

Oh and it is worth tuning up, I'm only trying to beat a small fiat, it's not like I'm going for the big ones just yet, I've got some project plans lined up for the future so don't worry :)

Sloth
23-07-10, 10:23 AM
fit a 16sv and make it look stock.