PDA

View Full Version : Topgear last night....

jkhilton
12-05-03, 01:13 PM
no, this isn't a post about some nice drugs I had!! :lol:

Did anyone see it last night? They had an MR2 F355 replica on there, they mentioned that once the guy had completed fitting his bodykit, he phoned the insurance company and they said it would now be classed as a kit car and his insurance went from ?1200 down to ?300!!!!

When does fitting a bodykit onto a car get classed as a kit car?!?! If you were to fit wide arches onto a nova, then you are changing alot of the main bodywork etc. so does that mean that a wide arched nova would have cheap kitcar insurance aswell????

just wondering..

ade
12-05-03, 02:55 PM
maybe - I think the pretty much the entire shell was replaced though wasnt it?

I didnt actually see the program but if you removed a nova shell and totally customised it you "could" class it as a kit car or a show car and get a huge reduction in insurance.

Sure there a clause thoiugh that limits the mileage and you'll have to supply engineer reports to validsate safety etc

Stuart
12-05-03, 04:15 PM
topgear last nite was utterly pants, appart from that landy :)

to make a "kit car" you have to have 30% (i belive its around that much) of a donor car, with the rest being madeup for it.

ie you could build a space frame chassis and fit an engine in a sensible place (for weight balance etc) an so on, then put a nova GRP shell on it. there you ahve it a nova kit car lol

wisewood
12-05-03, 04:51 PM
fit an engine in a sensible place... :lol:
so not beside the driver where the passenger should sit then??

what do you count as a sensible position cambridge?

?Marty?
12-05-03, 05:00 PM
On a roof rack mate.

Stuart
12-05-03, 05:06 PM
in a trailer.

i did say for weight balance :p lol so yes next to the driver will be fine

techie
12-05-03, 06:46 PM
I want one of them Landy's. Absolutly mental. 300 bhp TVR V8 in a spaceframe with fibreglass panels awesome.

Jules
12-05-03, 07:32 PM
Those MR2 Ferrari kits are a whole lot of kit - complete front end, complete rear end, new sides, I think it's probably only the roof that doesn't get modified to get it to look like they do - They cost a lot of money (And aren't that hard to find...) bith to buy and to get fitted, but once done they do look like a baby 'Rarri (To the untrained eye anyway).

If you want one of those kits then one company advertises them in the main car mags (Max, F Car etc etc).

NOVAS RULE
12-05-03, 09:47 PM
yeah thoses kits are loads and cost 3 grand to buy but the car is nothing special any mr2 can have that done to it

CP
12-05-03, 09:59 PM
yeah was a bit of a no news day - seem to be running out of cars and ideas.

....and the list for the top ten greatest cars???? WTF was that about?? :o

I would have included the Mclaren and the Citroen DS out of that list but none of the others.

Jim
13-05-03, 09:44 AM
yeah thoses kits are loads and cost 3 grand to buy but the car is nothing special any mr2 can have that done to it

LOL What sort of car do you think is special? I've been in a few MR2's and the 2.0 Turbo imports are pretty special. I'd love to have an MR2 with a 355 replica kit on it. Ok, it's not the real thing, but either way it's a head turner and with the right mods you can still have up to 300bhp under your right foot. The sort of power and performance you'd get from that would be more than enough to make people wonder if it really is a Ferrari.

Jim

novamark
13-05-03, 10:00 AM
i think i'd rather have the real thing and just put a mad jap bodykit on it, mad flip paint and tweak it to the bolluks. my mate simon's got an mr2 turbo, its standard apart from 16" five spokes and a fast and furious spoiler for down force as he is running 404bhp, everything in the engine bay is greddy. bhp is proven. he keeps up with motorbikes, 0-60 in like 4 secs. so u could make a ferarri speed-a-like i guess.

jkhilton
13-05-03, 12:24 PM
if you think it is a good idea or not wasn't the point, I was saying that the insurance came down by ?900!!!! imagine paying ?300/year to drive around in something that most people would think is a ferarri(until they hear the dump valve!!)

I personally think the car looks brilliant and would love to own one(if I do though, I wont be making the same mistake as I did with my last MR2 turbo, I will get the engine work done properly!!!)