PDA

View Full Version : Machining front steering knuckles question

stt
17-07-10, 10:44 PM
I want to get some steering knuckles machined to accomodate Early audi 80 front wheel bearings, the only thing that concerns me is that I will need to machine too much out material which will weaken them too much,
are corsa knuckles any thicker to start with (as they have bigger od bearings as standard)
I definitely want to get my knuckles machined to take different bearings rather than getting the flange turned down!
any advise welcome

Graeme
17-07-10, 10:46 PM
I'd speak to djbrowney as he sells these ready to bolt on

craig green
17-07-10, 10:48 PM
I've seen knuckles that have a custom machined rear bearing carrier that adds strength so a bigger bearing can be used, it bolts into the disc shield holes.

stt
17-07-10, 11:09 PM
I'd speak to djbrowney as he sells these ready to bolt on
To be fair to browney, he's done all the legwork researching it so I wouldn't be surprised if he wanted to keep his cards close to his chest as he sells them on for a profit.
if it was just one pair I was doing I might be tempted to buy a pair from him, but I'd like to make a spare set to have to hand all the time.
Plus I've already bought the bearings and have the big block flanges ready too!

Count Vaux Alot
17-07-10, 11:11 PM
See my track day nova wip for the correct bearings to use - mazda 626 rear wheel bearings off the top of my head, they are only 4mm bigger (2mm from each side) on the OD and exactly the same size as big block hubs ID so you dont have to remove much material from the hub.

Graeme
17-07-10, 11:13 PM
To be fair to browney, he's done all the legwork researching it so I wouldn't be surprised if he wanted to keep his cards close to his chest as he sells them on for a profit.
if it was just one pair I was doing I might be tempted to buy a pair from him, but I'd like to make a spare set to have to hand all the time.
Plus I've already bought the bearings and have the big block flanges ready too!

I see what your saying but I don't think he makes a great deal on them and he has always been very helpful with me

MattBrown
17-07-10, 11:13 PM
I dont see the "big" attraction, just run the standard cav ones turned down, if they break, its about £5 for a new one, and most people know someone with a lathe, or like me, WORK FTMFW lol

Graeme
17-07-10, 11:18 PM
It the damage it'll cause if it gives up at high speed or under hard cornering Matthew, not it like it going to be a massive problem if it gives up backing it out of the garage is it

stt
17-07-10, 11:31 PM
See my track day nova wip for the correct bearings to use - mazda 626 rear wheel bearings off the top of my head, they are only 4mm bigger (2mm from each side) on the OD and exactly the same size as big block hubs ID so you dont have to remove much material from the hub.
Any idea on what page? I'm currently browsing on my iPhone! So it could take a while lol!

MattBrown
17-07-10, 11:41 PM
It the damage it'll cause if it gives up at high speed or under hard cornering Matthew, not it like it going to be a massive problem if it gives up backing it out of the garage is it

Ahh ****, a hub £5, or a shaft £30:(

Benn
17-07-10, 11:41 PM
I dont see the "big" attraction, just run the standard cav ones turned down, if they break, its about £5 for a new one, and most people know someone with a lathe, or like me, WORK FTMFW lol

If the hub snaps the only thing that's holding the wheel on is the brake disc.

So dead hub and bearing.
Dead disc.
Maybe dead pads.
Dead cv joint as the end snaps off with the hub.
If the disc goes the wheel comes off, which means wing/door/bumper damage.

So as you can see its not just a hub snapping that's the prob.

craig green
17-07-10, 11:51 PM
Not to mention a date with the nearest hedge. Simon is a bit of a psycho behind the wheel (read that as committed). Its for road rallying.

MattBrown
18-07-10, 12:08 AM
Has anyone actually snapped a hub? Under normal circumstances?

IE not with stupid boost, tyres and wheelspins?

craig green
18-07-10, 12:10 AM
its cornering loads I'd be worried of.

stt
18-07-10, 12:26 AM
Not to mention a date with the nearest hedge. Simon is a bit of a psycho behind the wheel (read that as committed). Its for road rallying.
Lol, committed or is it more I need to be committed!

stt
18-07-10, 12:29 AM

I'm not going to be running any boost as I'm N/A
but I will be at around 250bhp on decent tyres,
previous driveshaft failures have always been on landings from jumps etc so that's why with the power increase im also going to big block hubs

djbrowney
18-07-10, 08:46 AM
i hope you have bough new hub flanges and not used old ones :)

If you need some new ones drop us a pm :)

Benn
18-07-10, 10:59 AM

Vegus Phil on Corsa sport did, he's a mate of mine. Corsa with xe fitted, on 14inch corsa sport wheels. hubs fitted about 2/3 months before.

He rung me while being recovered home cause the wheel was about to come off.
All that was holding the wheel on was what was left of the brake disc. Was scary to see.