PDA

View Full Version : Steering Column lenth?

eightvalver
17-07-10, 07:48 PM
Huuum... Been tearing my hair out today (well what hair i have left anyway):wall:

So finally attempted to get my replacement steering column fitted. The old one came ot no probs. I put the new one in and it all lined up with the mountings no probs. I then discovered the bluddie shaft is about 10-15mm to short, and the damn thing wont go in the coupling far enough.

So.. am i doing something wrong? or, do the columns vary in lenth depending on year/model? I have a 1990 (H) Mk.1

Please help!:cry:

mowgli
17-07-10, 08:18 PM
the replacement column has had a hearty thwack and the lattice bit will be deformed shortening the shaft

eightvalver
17-07-10, 08:33 PM
Thanks for that suggestion mowgli, but the column looks in great nick, not deformed, and identical in all other respects. Its just the shaft that is shorter. Besides, i cant see how that would shorten the shaft??

brainsnova
17-07-10, 08:39 PM
is it defo a nova one as the mk2 astra looked similiar.

eightvalver
17-07-10, 08:51 PM
Cant see how it can be off an Astra, I got the replcement column complete with ignition barrel with a matching original ''Nova'' lock set inclding boot lock etc.. one key.

So i assume it come off a Nova.

**Althogh, if anyone can definatly say for certain that there is only one column lenth for the Nova, then i must have the wrong one** !!

brainsnova
17-07-10, 08:54 PM
is your old centre shaft damaged?

eightvalver
17-07-10, 09:01 PM
The old one is in perfect condition, this only came obout when i lost the keys for the Nova, was stranded and had to chisel the steering lock off the column... there is some slight damage to the shaft where the lock sits, after several failled attempts at forcing the lock.....

Story of my life, ffs