PDA

View Full Version : fitting nova sr into 1.2 spi

novasr789
17-07-10, 01:01 PM
hi all, new to the site, looks great and lots of useful information.
I have done a few little bits on novas etc... but a friend of mine has asked if i could fit a 1.4sr engine into his 1.2spi.

i know its just a straight swap for the engine with mounts etc..., am i right in saying the only wiring would be starter and alternator, and also somebody told me i can keep the distributor and coil for the spi, and just fit it straight onto the sr ?

thanks very much

mowgli
17-07-10, 02:01 PM
make your friend go & find either a 1.4 spi or an mpi from a corsa b.

it will fit way easier, and will be just as good.

'sr' engines were not special, but 'sr' engines cost lots of money. and fitting a single carb engine is a backward step because the whole injection setup needs removing, which is why an injection engine is the better option... if you fit an mpi, you will need a more powerful pump from the mk3 astra mpi

novasr789
17-07-10, 02:07 PM
ok thanks, its just i know he has a sr engine in the garage so he was just goint put that in if it was easy enough to do

novasr789
17-07-10, 02:31 PM
could you still tell me if its right what i have been told about fitting the sr ? and anything else i would need to do, just incase he wants to go ahead with the sr.thanks very much

novasr789
17-07-10, 02:51 PM
im hoping its as simple as fitting sr engine with existing mounts, using the 1.2 wiring for alternator/starter, and also using the 1.2 distributor and coil and putting it straight onto the sr enigne ? will everything else be ok such as fuel lines, tank etc.. ?
thanks again

mowgli
17-07-10, 06:18 PM
the fitting of the engine will be easy. as it will fit strasight in.........

the exhaust will need replacing cos the 1.2 one is dire....

the fuel tank & lines are designed for a higher pressure injection setup.
you can get a regulator to blow the pressure off so the carb will not flood. but it will cost
you will also have to still wire in some sort of feed to the efi pump.
or fit a carb tank, & sell the efi tank on here..

the engine wiring will be interesting. i really don't have a clue if the 1.2 dizzy & coil will still work if the injector & any engine sensors are removed.

MK999
17-07-10, 06:31 PM
or fit a carb tank, & sell the efi tank on here..

the engine wiring will be interesting. i really don't have a clue if the 1.2 dizzy & coil will still work if the injector & any engine sensors are removed.

This, and then use the SR coil and dizzy, and copy the loom from that, it should be a simple set of switched/ignition live to run the entire engine, if it was me I'd cut the ecu off the 1.2i as usual, pull it all through see whats attached and what isn't, trim all the wiring up and tape up/tuck away the extra, that way you can always fit an mpi engine later without too much hassle.