PDA

View Full Version : need help with starter moter (no longer starts engine)

Trendall
16-07-10, 11:27 PM
hey well today my starter moter gave up on me i turn the key and you here it turn but it wont turn the car over its like the car is already running but you turn the key again and get the screaching noise could it be easy to fix as in the teeth have come away or do i need to buy a new starter moter? i am going to take it off and clean it tommorrow and try to put it back on better. any advise or help will be greatly appreciated thanks in advance james:)

AlexW
16-07-10, 11:30 PM
Take it off and then see, could be the teeth mashed, I wouldn't bother trying to repair it, that is what happend 20 years ago, just replace with another second hand unit.

Trendall
16-07-10, 11:32 PM
ok cheers AW06 if i take it off and the teeth are ok is there anything i should do IE: grease/oil anything? also how easy is it to take off?

simonm
16-07-10, 11:32 PM
your solenoid isnt flicking out the gear sounds like a sprag clutch or else your ring gear on fly wheel is worn

Trendall
16-07-10, 11:34 PM
your solenoid isnt flicking out the gear sounds like a sprag clutch or else your ring gear on fly wheel is worn

i didnt understand any of that i need it expained in very simlpeton terms :confused: :confused:

simonm
16-07-10, 11:39 PM
whip it off have a quick look for obvious wear and tear and pop it in to a auto electrition for recon or pick up a second hand one should be cheap by the way whats it on

Trendall
16-07-10, 11:42 PM
whip it off have a quick look for obvious wear and tear and pop it in to a auto electrition for recon or pick up a second hand one should be cheap by the way whats it on

its on a 1.2 carb sorry should of specified more in the first post. fingers crossed its nothing to bad as i need to get my wheels balanced and the tracking done monday also getting it sprayed :( if anything else breaks the paint will have to wait :cry: :cry: :cry:

AlexW
16-07-10, 11:47 PM
1.2 starter will be pish easy to find.

Not hard to remove, disconnect the battery first! Remove the thick red and thin black/red on the back, then a couple of 13mm nuts/bolts (iirc one is a stud, with maybe two nuts to remove, and the other is a bolt).

If the teeth are damaged your need a new starter, if its ok, your need to check the flywheel (Your be able to see it through the hole when you remove the starter) If both are fine, find another starter, or if you can find out a price, find somebody who can recon it, although people like arnt as popular so much now.

simonm
16-07-10, 11:49 PM
na head for a beaker there all the same prob better to go for some thing like a vectra b 1.6 or similar as there a much faster running starter prob be about 20 quid woulden pay much more

Trendall
16-07-10, 11:49 PM
ok thats great thanks guys ill have a good fiddle tommorrow and try to get this sorted. if the teeth are fine on the starter moter and its the flywheel would that be expensive?

AlexW
16-07-10, 11:51 PM
Not that expensive, just a pain in the ****. Would require gearbox removal, clutch off, second hand flywheel (£25 at most?) and new flywheel bolts.

simonm
16-07-10, 11:51 PM
no just a bit of work changing it also should pick one up cheap

Trendall
16-07-10, 11:52 PM
thats great guys thanks alot. cheers again for the advise guys :D

AlexW
17-07-10, 12:07 AM
Nay probs, report back tomorrow when you have it off.

brainsnova
17-07-10, 12:15 AM
try putting it in gear and rock the car back and forth while holding the key and it might free off then take it out gear and try again.

Trendall
17-07-10, 12:16 AM
try putting it in gear and rock the car back and forth while holding the key and it might free off then take it out gear and try again.

i try'd that earlyer and nothing it turns the car over by half a turn then give's up sometime's but then most of the time it just screams at me and does nothing

brainsnova
17-07-10, 12:28 AM
i used to take the starter off and pour a cap full of oil into it and roll it around to coat the inside and 9/10 times it works only thing i would do now is turn it up and get the excess oil out incase it contaminates the clutch.

Trendall
18-07-10, 08:01 PM
well i have fixed my starter motor now i took it apart and found te bearings at the end of the starter motor had chew'd up all the springs in there. after a quick hunt around i found some small springs that i cut down to size and wedge'd in place to hold the bearings in place this has worked a treat i fitted it thi morning with all my hope's and YES!!!! it worked so if anyone has a simelar problem with the starter motor turning but not turning the car over take it apart and check the bearings there are only 6 of them and hold them selfs in place. hope this helps anyone else with this problem