PDA

View Full Version : Running In Rebuild?

ST-eater
16-07-10, 05:07 PM
Hi all...

Im currently building an XE block, and replacing most parts, including pistons (with oversize), crank bearings, big end bearings, full top rebuild, etc... (the list goes on)...

Anyhow, can anyone tell me how to run the engine in properly to avoid damaging anything?

Ive read all different ways on the internet, and each way is completely different...

Hoping someone on here as a tried and tested way.....

Cheers

ST-eater
16-07-10, 05:12 PM
Also what oil is reccomended for it (grade wise) for the initial 500 miles?

mowgli
16-07-10, 05:14 PM
normal oil, after 500 miles, anything that wanted to go wrong will have...

remember, rental cars never get run in.............

turnipheed
16-07-10, 05:31 PM
its not something i have done myself before but when my old boss rebuilt his scooby rally car engine he used to put cheap oil in it and take it for a 50-100 mile run (gentle)then drop it out and put the correct spec in to it

Lee
16-07-10, 05:35 PM
Drive it normally, just don't take it over 4k and dont labour it either (ie too low a gear etc). DO a few reasonably quick accelerations up to 4k and then let off the throttle and let the car run down again, and repeat a few times every so often.

As above, after 500 miles, change the oil and filter.

Ernie
16-07-10, 05:44 PM
or do like lee did as a shake down at combe and bounce if off the limiter till it popped.
Soz mate had to..
lol

AlexW
16-07-10, 05:47 PM
As long as you used lashings of oil when putting it together, shouldnt be too bad.

ST-eater
16-07-10, 05:50 PM
Ive been building it with that STP oil treatment covering everything movable. Sounds like i have to just drive slow with cheapo oil in for 500 miles then...

Any ways to prime the oil pump? Heard something about turning the car over without the spark plugs fitted? Good or bad idea?

AlexW
16-07-10, 05:53 PM
I would put whatever oil you plan to run anyway and then change it at 500miles.

Oil priming wise, your best option is to remove the plugs and fuel pump relay and then crank it over as said.

Iain
16-07-10, 05:54 PM
Relaying what I've been told... Turn it over on the starter motor until the oil pressure light goes off, then refit the HT leads and start it. Edit: Too slow.

AlexW
16-07-10, 05:55 PM
Slow at everything iain.. :p :)

But yeah i missed the oil light going out lol

MattBrown
16-07-10, 06:13 PM
I always run engines in on mineral oil, its what alot of engine builders do.

Streight 50:thumb:

mowgli
16-07-10, 06:17 PM
but the people who build cars don't

Stuart
16-07-10, 06:23 PM
Treat it mean, keep it keen :)

95% of the bedding in is done within the first 30 miles or so.

turnipheed
20-07-10, 09:36 PM
Ive been building it with that STP oil treatment covering everything movable. Sounds like i have to just drive slow with cheapo oil in for 500 miles then...

Any ways to prime the oil pump? Heard something about turning the car over without the spark plugs fitted? Good or bad idea?

take the king lead off and crank it till the oil light goes out, thats usually what i do even after an oil change :thumb:

djbrowney
20-07-10, 10:05 PM
I have been told you only have 50 miles to bed the rings in, how true this is im not sure. But im with stu treat it mean keep it keen. i have know people to spin the crank in the engine, take the bearings out, wetflat the high spots put it back together and kick the **** out of it lol

on a fresh build you will need to take the plugs out to get oil pressure up |:)

gazsnova
20-07-10, 10:10 PM
Treat it mean, keep it keen :)

95% of the bedding in is done within the first 30 miles or so.

agreed with this one more than any other.
idling at 900 rpm a crank will do 15 revolutions per second.
with each piston/conrod assembly going from b.d.c to t.d.c. and back again (60 movements in a second)

wouldnt take 500miles worth of driving to bed an engine in.

make sure you change oil and filter after.

i would drain the oil and run some more through the engine with the sump plug out just to be sure no swarf is left in there ( if any)