PDA

View Full Version : tracking

moffat
16-07-10, 03:12 PM
just took my nova to get the tracking sorted on the front and they said the car is too low aprox 80mm front and 60mm rear so if i was to raise it back on standard shocks springs on rear and raise coilovers at front - get tracking done then lower it back down again will the tracking not be out again?

any help appricated thanks

claire6069
16-07-10, 03:15 PM
yeh it would be, had this problem with my corsa as its on coilovers,porter ended up using a piece of string lol

Mattman
16-07-10, 03:17 PM
more than likely if it is not out straight away after lowering it again it would be very soon after, have you tried more than one garage? Some just don't like to touch lowered cars due to their ramps having steep inclines to get onto them etc

claire6069
16-07-10, 03:19 PM
its also a case of getting the tracking gauges in too, if the wheels are in the arches, guna be a difficult job

MattBrown
16-07-10, 03:20 PM
Demon tweeks and silverstone autosports are the only ones I know round here that can do it.

You need the clip on lazer alignment stuff fella:thumb:

moffat
16-07-10, 03:24 PM
went to qwikfit and guy said drove it in then came back and said its too low mate so i sugested raising it and he said yeah that would do but as soon as i lower it it would be out again, its very bad its screeching in a straight line driving at 30

moffat
16-07-10, 03:26 PM
or how could i sort it myself? meant to be getting 16s soon and dont want to chewing tyres, it was on fixed 60mm kit on the front and didnt have tracking problems, only happened when i fitted coilovers

mowgli
16-07-10, 04:10 PM
as the tracking gauges clamp to the wheels, as long as they are attachable, then surely they will be fine. or you fit some small steel wheels (or some high profile monsters off a scrapper) for the alignment. then refit your alloys after.

moffat
16-07-10, 04:23 PM
its on 13inch steels on the front and sr alloys on the rear but my concern is if i raise the car to get the tracking aligned then lower it again will the tracking be thrown out again?

mowgli
16-07-10, 04:29 PM
it just can't be so stupidly low that it can't be tracked.

look for some 4 stud vectra 14" rims with those massive high profile tyres.... it'll look daft, but it will be taller

Yung Deano
16-07-10, 08:30 PM
alright there mate yer the tracking will go out when you lower the car again but not that much you shouldnt fill the diffrence i do all the tracking my self and would be able to do it with out highing the car had quite few corsa lowerd by coilovers, i just use planks of wood to drive up on to tracking ramp then i set it up that way think im bit far for you though :thumb:

Rysee
16-07-10, 08:50 PM
kwikfit told me to raise mine 10mm so they could get the gauges in, 10mm can't make too much difference when re lowering

marc69
16-07-10, 09:11 PM
I had trouble getting my standard car tracked, a guy fitted a new spring wrong and after I had this sorted I went round a few garages for "laser tracking". Every garage gave a different reading, not knowing what to do I bought one of the drive over gauges. I followed the instructions very carefully and then rechecked. I did this over 6 months ago and the tyres are showing no sign of tracking wear, I am really pleased with this devce

Benn
16-07-10, 10:09 PM
Take it to a better garage, Lazor tracking is the best if you can get it done.

djbrowney
16-07-10, 10:15 PM
the problem comes with people using old technology the bumper gets in way of the mirrors, sack the front bumper of when you get there and tell them to sort it out lol

moffat
16-07-10, 11:20 PM
they dorve it in, got on the ramps fine they coulndt fit the hooks over the back wheels, its meant to be 60mm rear but looks a bit lower so basically i should raise front a rear then get tracking sorted then i could lower it again and i should be fine?

brainsnova
17-07-10, 12:23 AM
you could just raise the rear as the rear doesnt need adjusted anyway as its a fixed axle. possibly jack the rear up level in the garage enough to hook the bits on.

mowgli
17-07-10, 09:17 AM
if you raise the rear, it will affect the front ride height, but only slightly, but it might alter the tracking a bit.

claire6069
17-07-10, 01:00 PM
for a quick fix, as my corsa was screeching at 30mph in a straight line as the wheels were like /\ lol, i would just use a piece of a string, its worked a treat for my car, it takes like 20 mins of your own time, its free and all you need is one other person to help you

Benn
17-07-10, 01:16 PM
I'll say again, take it some where better. Kwikfit are morons anyway. I wouldn't let them peel an orange let alone track a car.

Yung Deano
17-07-10, 02:31 PM
yer if you raise the car and lower the car after the tracking had been down yes it will through it out cuz of the height of the car getting raised when you fit coilovers the camber and tracking will go out so you will need to get both adjustments correct

camber will make the tires bald in the inner or outter edges of the tyres,

toe-tracking - will make the car drift of to the right or left and the stearing wheel wont be centrol.

stearing wheel shacking at speed- is due to your front wheels needing balancing

:thumb:

moffat
17-07-10, 02:44 PM
ill check my camber again as its wearing on the inside but the left wheel points left and right wheel right if you get me.

cheers benn i put a post up on a local forum about laser tracking

timbo1980
17-07-10, 02:49 PM
kwik fit only use a wirebrush to do tracking, making it look like they have adjusted it if inspected by a proper garage, its all down to the bonus incentives.:eek:

phunkynova
19-07-10, 05:41 PM
If you can find a workshop with the old type ie no lasers no mirrors just a gauge that checks the front of the rim and then the back of the rim and the difference between them in mm they are simple but work well.

a2lt16v
22-07-10, 11:32 AM
stop going to quickfit
they arent quick and they cant fit

CoolTiger
22-07-10, 06:35 PM
Demon tweeks and silverstone autosports are the only ones I know round here that can do it.

You need the clip on lazer alignment stuff fella:thumb:

everywhere does it lol, buckley tyres ect ect

vaughanmc
22-07-10, 06:40 PM
I asked about loads of garages mate and hardly anyone would touch my car and it isn't as low as yours - Managed to get one garage to do it

If you raise your car, get it tracked, then lower it again it's going to throw it out and if you change wheels etc it'll through it out a little

That's what I was told by a mechanic anyway and I trust him!

Raise it up and get it going good or have it on it's ar*e and have no tracking lol ? Up to you

brainsnova
22-07-10, 09:23 PM
my mums polo camber and tracking was out so i done it myself by eye for the tracking and a spirit level for the camber and i was 1 degree out lol and i thought i needed glasses.

auzzy-b
23-07-10, 10:46 AM
I did mine without the wings on! I'm guessing you can't get yours sorted because the equipment won't fit over the wheels/tyres?

let_nova
23-07-10, 11:08 AM
old style guages what you need.