PDA

View Full Version : swaping over mpi to spi engine

stevie78
15-07-10, 09:54 PM
as above getting a good 16 spi engine very soon .Wanting to put all my mpi stuff of my e16 gte engine on to the spi block has anyone done this before :confused: want to make sure it will work before i part withe cash:thumb:

mowgli
15-07-10, 10:01 PM
in basic terms, the bottom ends should be identical, the pistons are the same, the bore & strokes are the same too. an e16se head is higher comp than the spi one, so needs fitting. the only issue i have is to do with the placement of the efi temp sender. the earlier e16se had it on the block, the later ones had it in the silly ally thing bolted to the back of the inlet manifold.

stevie78
15-07-10, 10:04 PM
thanks thats what i want to here lol.my e16 inlet has the wee temp sensor bolted underneath

mowgli
15-07-10, 10:08 PM
its the big one i'm on about that connects to the ecu for the cold start. the temp gauge one is also in the ally thingy

AlexW
15-07-10, 10:21 PM
Head would need to be changed anyway due to the port shapes :)

mowgli
15-07-10, 10:25 PM
Head would need to be changed anyway due to the port shapes :)

and the extra compression ....

AlexW
15-07-10, 10:26 PM
Yeah i know, but im just saying so the OP didnt try and skimp (not saying that he would but you know) and leave the head.

Adam
15-07-10, 10:30 PM
in basic terms, the bottom ends should be identical, the pistons are the same, the bore & strokes are the same too. an e16se head is higher comp than the spi one, so needs fitting. the only issue i have is to do with the placement of the efi temp sender. the earlier e16se had it on the block, the later ones had it in the silly ally thing bolted to the back of the inlet manifold.
Pistons are different

The CTS for the ecu is in the side of the cylinder head.

mowgli
15-07-10, 10:38 PM
adam, my big boring piston book has the same pistons in both, but different heads.... so whats the second temp sender all about then???

Adam
15-07-10, 10:41 PM
Which 2nd temp sender?
The one near the inlet? (For the dash gauge?)

The pistons are identical in terms of size, they have different cutouts in though, the spi ones give a slightly lower cr.
Ive seen both blocks in a scrappy :)

stevie78
16-07-10, 06:14 AM
right lads verdict needed wull i buy or leave till the right block turns up? spent to much on shell to have a sh~t enginelol

AlexW
16-07-10, 12:08 PM
If the bottom end is good, have it, swap your complete top end over, be fine.

I would suggest doing the stem seals while its apart.

stevie78
16-07-10, 04:52 PM
thanks goin 2 go for it