PDA

View Full Version : I do belive I cooked my front tyres.

Hobbit
15-07-10, 04:39 PM
A couple of people noticed when i got up to Billing (Jack and Tom) that my front tyres on the omega had started to wear. I guessed I had put the nova to far back on the trailer causing the front axle to be over loaded. So on the return journey i loaded the nova much further forward (maybe to far) which made them wear even worse.

Anyway, thought I'd post up some pics as I've never seen tyres wear like this.

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p72/wiggardywoo/tyre1.jpg

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p72/wiggardywoo/tyre2.jpg

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p72/wiggardywoo/tyre3.jpg

On the way up I did pull over as I noticed some smoke coming from the omega, at the time I thought it was coming from my exhaust, I'm now starting to think it was coming from the front tyres :tard:

So glad I didn't get pulled, 6 points ftl :(

MK999
15-07-10, 04:42 PM
Looks like it's toe'd in, did you get the tracking done after you lowered it?

Hobbit
15-07-10, 04:44 PM
I had the tracking done on the Friday morning before Billing

MK999
15-07-10, 04:46 PM
Were they eating bananas? lol

Guessing overloading the front has made the suspension squat and you ended up scrubbing your toe'd tyres down the motorway, noice!lol

Hobbit
15-07-10, 04:50 PM
To be fair they said that my wheels were too big for thier tracking equipment and I'd be better off putting my old wheels back on for the tracking up. But I was in a hurry and said just do them roughly :tosser:

The rear tyres are pretty comical too. Most of the traed off the fronts has now given the rears an added layer of tread. lol

MK999
15-07-10, 04:51 PM
To be fair they said that my wheels were too big for thier tracking equipment and I'd be better off putting my old wheels back on for the tracking up. But I was in a hurry and said just do them roughly :tosser:

Feck do they do when an X5 rolls up then? lol

Hobbit
15-07-10, 04:53 PM
Unfortunatly I dont have much choice round here. There are only a few garages that have low enough ramps to get the omega on. lol

MK999
15-07-10, 04:55 PM
Unfortunatly I dont have much choice round here. There are only a few garages that have low enough ramps to get the omega on. lol

Bits of wood ftw lol Also, is this a private thread? lol

Hobbit
15-07-10, 04:56 PM
I have to use bits of wood to get it on the few ramps that will take it.

MK999
15-07-10, 05:02 PM
Awesome :p More wood then lol We've managed a page by ourselves now too lol

Place I use happily takes a mk3 golf scraping the floor on porsche rims, mot place had issues with my old nova though :p

farmertom
15-07-10, 05:05 PM
tracking with smaller wheels will be no good dude. when the big ones go back on it will change the tracking again!

Hobbit
15-07-10, 05:06 PM
Smaller wheels with bigger tyres ;)

MK999
15-07-10, 05:08 PM
tracking with smaller wheels will be no good dude. when the big ones go back on it will change the tracking again!

er, shouldn't do, it will change the ride height via the size of the wheels, the suspension should sit in the same place.

blue_peg_16v
15-07-10, 05:12 PM
er, shouldn't do, it will change the ride height via the size of the wheels, the suspension should sit in the same place.

this man speaks sence

and hobbit wtf never seen that before my dad used to tow a 24ft (internal length not inc hitch) with an omega diesel and never had that problem

Lee
15-07-10, 05:18 PM
Id imagine it was the opposite effect myself. To get the trailer to actually lift the hitch up in the air, ergo loading the front, the engine on the Nova would have to be behind the trailer axle :)

I would imagine the omega front end was actually lifting up which changed the track enough to cause that (hense the worsening of the problem when you moved the nova forwards on the way home). I had exactly the same issues when towing with my old Carlton. (to be fair, how much lower can the front go before the sump is scraping the floor lol)

Fit some towing springs on the back of the omega, that should cure it :)

mowgli
15-07-10, 05:25 PM
1. i agree with lee about some towing spring assistors
2. the bloke who tracked it is an idiot & had better change job.. a sodding tape measure would have been more accurate.
3. the trailer should have a hitch weight of around 50kg. a cheap set of bathroom scales & a bit of 2x2 is the quick measure for that. or load the trailer, unhitch it, & if it is easy to lift the towball, then it is about ok. most people load the front of a trailer way too heavy

blue_peg_16v
15-07-10, 05:29 PM
this might help hobbit

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TOW-BALL-MOUNTED-CARAVAN-TRAILER-NOSE-WEIGHT-GAUGE-NEW-/170448510804?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Campervan_Caravan_Accessories&hash=item27af85df54

Hobbit
15-07-10, 05:29 PM
I'm not sure if I'd get spring assistors in my lowering springs. If not I'll be thinking about putting it back to standard ride height :cry: as I'm starting to think slammed cars are bad for towing. :(

mowgli
15-07-10, 05:30 PM
does it come with the obligatory white flat cap??

Lee
15-07-10, 05:31 PM
1. i agree with lee about some towing spring assistors
2. the bloke who tracked it is an idiot & had better change job.. a sodding tape measure would have been more accurate.
3. the trailer should have a hitch weight of around 50kg. a cheap set of bathroom scales & a bit of 2x2 is the quick measure for that. or load the trailer, unhitch it, & if it is easy to lift the towball, then it is about ok. most people load the front of a trailer way too heavy

I always load the trailer front heavy with my vans because they can take it, and it makes for a much more stable tow. The more central the weight is, the more liable you are to get a sway on.

Cars are a different matter though, and as mowgli says I would try to keep the weight down on the hitch as much as poss, but at the same time i wouldnt go too near a 50/50 distribution because thats when the snake comes out to play.

I learned this from my Dad. Caravan magazines always used to advise putting all the weight over the axle when loading a caravan up, but he always used to stick all the heavy shizzle halfway between the axle and the hitch, and never in all the times I went away with him when I was younger did it even think about swaying.

Hobbit
15-07-10, 05:32 PM
this might help hobbit

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TOW-BALL-MOUNTED-CARAVAN-TRAILER-NOSE-WEIGHT-GAUGE-NEW-/170448510804?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Campervan_Caravan_Accessories&hash=item27af85df54

intersting

Avoid snaking when towing your caravan or trailer

I was getting alot of that :roll:

I should stick to artics. Much easier to keep your axles loaded evenly.

blue_peg_16v
15-07-10, 05:33 PM
just borrow a car transporter lol

Lee
15-07-10, 05:34 PM
intersting

Avoid snaking when towing your caravan or trailer

I was getting alot of that :roll:

I should stick to artics. Much easier to keep your axles loaded evenly.

If the trailer was nose heavy its interesting that it was swaying. Are all 4 wheels pointing the same direction? lol

blue_peg_16v
15-07-10, 05:37 PM
I always load the trailer front heavy with my vans because they can take it, and it makes for a much more stable tow. The more central the weight is, the more liable you are to get a sway on.

Cars are a different matter though, and as mowgli says I would try to keep the weight down on the hitch as much as poss, but at the same time i wouldnt go too near a 50/50 distribution because thats when the snake comes out to play.

I learned this from my Dad. Caravan magazines always used to advise putting all the weight over the axle when loading a caravan up, but he always used to stick all the heavy shizzle halfway between the axle and the hitch, and never in all the times I went away with him when I was younger did it even think about swaying.

bet your dad also had a stabalizer too tho that you dont have on the car trailer my dad always loaded over the axels and he didnt go slow got pulled on the way to st ives hitting 90mph (x police senator and a big luna twin axle) he wernt to happy lol

Mike
15-07-10, 05:40 PM
Matt, you would have been royally fcuked if it started properly raining whilst towing on them tyres!!!

None the less, 10/10 for effort for sure!!

Lee
15-07-10, 05:44 PM
bet your dad also had a stabalizer too tho that you dont have on the car trailer my dad always loaded over the axels and he didnt go slow got pulled on the way to st ives hitting 90mph (x police senator and a big luna twin axle) he wernt to happy lol

Nope, this was the end of the '80's, i don't think they existed, or if they did, they were uber expensive lol.

Hobbit
15-07-10, 05:47 PM
If the trailer was nose heavy its interesting that it was swaying. Are all 4 wheels pointing the same direction? lol

It seemed to get a wobble on when changing from the middle lane to the slow lane. i put it down to the trailer being wider and hitting the lorry tram lines. To be fair that is a ropey old trailer that i wont be borrowing again in a hurry.

Matt, you would have been royally fcuked if it started properly raining whilst towing on them tyres!!!

None the less, 10/10 for effort for sure!!

You know it :eek:

blue_peg_16v
15-07-10, 05:47 PM
they did we had one wernt like the hitc ones they have now they were a big steal sprung bar that you torqued the bolt on dependent on weight you were towing it then wernt into the drop down bracket and a bracket at the side of the hitch.

they carnt of been that expensive my dads a tight fecker lol

Lee
15-07-10, 05:50 PM
they did we had one wernt like the hitc ones they have now they were a big steal sprung bar that you torqued the bolt on dependent on weight you were towing it then wernt into the drop down bracket and a bracket at the side of the hitch.

they carnt of been that expensive my dads a tight fecker lol

I wouldn't know, I was only 10 lol I only know it definalty didnt have an anti sway bar lol

the damn thing was only a single glazed thing that you only see on the back of fairground lorrys nowadays lol

blue_peg_16v
15-07-10, 05:51 PM
I wouldn't know, I was only 10 lol I only know it definalty didnt have an anti sway bar lol

the damn thing was only a single glazed thing that you only see on the back of fairground lorrys nowadays lol

lol sounds like the first one we had was lovely and hand painted grey lol

Lee
15-07-10, 05:53 PM
lol sounds like the first one we had was lovely and hand painted grey lol

All i remember about the inside of it was it smelt like damp carpet, and had one of those gas lamps with a wik you had to constantly change, and there was a massive char mark on the roof above it lol

blue_peg_16v
15-07-10, 05:56 PM
lol sounds even older than the hand painted one we had

was that cack it didnt have bunk beds had a lower bed and a hamac nedles to say it clapsed and i crushed my sister which i found emensly funny as my sister screamed lol

wwmnw
15-07-10, 07:00 PM
Still a few miles on them!

blue_peg_16v
15-07-10, 07:15 PM
i thought he was scrubbing them in ready for track use

Alex J
15-07-10, 09:14 PM
i thought he was scrubbing them in ready for track usei agree, can i have them as partwornslol

MK999
15-07-10, 09:24 PM
i agree, can i have them as partwornslol

This implies they are only partly worn. lol

mowgli
15-07-10, 09:36 PM
lee, the reason you shouldn't load more than 50kg onto a towball is because everyone fills the boot with junk. speed wobble is more down to inappropriate speed or erratic driving than anything else...

BUT....one of our former employees drove my L200 back to the yard with a dumper & a load of gear on our big ifor williams trailer (nats 08) and said 'the back axle is knackered... i had to stick it in 4wd to get it back' so i went & lifted one of the rear wheels in to the air... he had loaded the trailer so bad, it had a ton or so rearward bias....

Benn
15-07-10, 09:45 PM
How do you cook front Omega tyres? You're doing it wrong!

Southie
15-07-10, 10:10 PM
It's carrying all those bottles of Scrumpy for everyone lol

mowgli
15-07-10, 10:12 PM
It's carrying all those bottles of Scrumpy for everyone lol

he didn't on the way back... spudly pissed most of it up the willow trees

Riggy
16-07-10, 12:33 AM
How do you cook front Omega tyres? You're doing it wrong!

PMSL

tyres do looks properly wasted Matt , looks like it wasn't a enjoyable drive lol

Jack
16-07-10, 01:12 AM
Get on, you been down Exeter services doing burnouts

farmertom
19-07-10, 08:56 AM

i use to work in the tyre trade. and know for fact it does change it!

mowgli
19-07-10, 09:05 AM
i use to work in the tyre trade. and know for fact it does change it!

i'd love to see your evidence...........if there is no wear in the components, then the hubs will sit in the same position in relation to the rest of the car body, whether you have spacesavers or ultra wide tyres fitted, when stationary

and i was told by a senior person from ATS that if i swapped my directional yokos from side to side, i'd not get any more life out of them because they'd already started wearing in a certain way & would keep doing so.... i only go another 5000miles.....

when was the last time anyone saw a tracking bloke actually stick the sandbags into a car to get it loaded correctly before adjusting it???

farmertom
19-07-10, 09:18 AM
tbh i dont care what your sayin iv done it, and it doesnt work.
swapping tyres side to side does work as i had to do that on my xr3i fews years back as it was so slammed it had over 2 degrees of camber on the front.
i had to swap tyres side to side as i wore the iner edge in 3 weeks swapped them about then got a further 3 weeks. matey at ats probly said that cos he wanted you to buy new tyres lol

mowgli
19-07-10, 01:40 PM
i know he did..... i am the sort of person who will sit in a car with the steering wheel held straight when they do the tracking to make sure the wheel is still pointing straight afterwards.......as i told them, the tracking is most likely out on both sides, so i'm paying for both sides to be done & i'm ****ed if i'm moving my steering wheel because you've done a poor job.
i was 17 at the time.

farmertom
20-07-10, 09:58 AM
thats fairnuf, i used to have customers sit in the car so they were happy with there steering wheel being straight, especialy high powered or prestige cars.
i setup a couple of bmw e36 evo's about 2 year's back that were goin nurburgring they both had differant geo settings of there preferance, i set them up they done there track day, then came back and i put them back to standard settings. 2 happy customers
we used to do tracking on cars from bodyshops and prestige cars, so you can imagine how funked some of those were.
i agree with what your saying about the cars not being loaded properly or at all with weights.

Stuart
20-07-10, 11:32 AM
I saw my car have the weights put in, and mostly on the drivers side as per my request, when I had the tracking done last year :p

if the rolling radius of the wheel/tyre dosent change by much (think 20-25mm RADIUS change) then the gemoetry wont change that much. Unless you are already slammed to the ground like an Ultima and fitting 1" bigger wheels cocks everything up

djshaggeh
20-07-10, 06:57 PM
Changing the wheel size will have some effects on the suspension setup, how much is debatable. The Hunter settings for an e46 BMW has 15" option right up to 18".

edit: the last time I saw someone put weights in cars before its aligned, was my own.

Hobbit
20-07-10, 07:01 PM
This is old news anyway. Another one of my work chums has been having a smashing time. Pics up in the morning :d

djshaggeh
20-07-10, 07:03 PM
Sorry I was late on the scene, nothing to see here. Barstewards at work banned me off PNG cause it was giving the computers viruses. Otherwise I would have posted earlier

farmertom
21-07-10, 07:23 AM
shaggy your work are lame gays lol

mowgli
21-07-10, 07:49 AM
This is old news anyway. Another one of my work chums has been having a smashing time. Pics up in the morning :d

did every cat in devon & cornwall get called out to help with the cleanup????