PDA

View Full Version : Throttle Boddies

Anton
11-05-03, 04:51 PM
Can someone please explain what they do? :oops:

Ant

Stuart
11-05-03, 04:56 PM
in the absolute basics of the item, its a plate with a hole of a certain diameter, and the throttle butterful sits within this, on a spindle.

the acctual product that are throttle bodies are similar to Weber twin 40's/45's, appart from a lak of air tubes, venturies etc .

Throttle bodies offer the general perrofmance as weber twins but are much much much more refinable, so infact you could get a respectable mpg out of them lol, and also get md power from them.

expensive but very good.

www.jenvey.co.uk

2litreturbo
11-05-03, 05:13 PM
they are also very expensive.

Imagine you have a 2.0 16v.

This has one throttle body on one inlet manifold.
Multiple throttle bodies replace the whole inlet system. You basically bolt the throttle body directly to the cylinder. When replacing your inlet manifold for throttle bodies, you need to buy a new engine management system, ecu, loom etc. I looked into it for mine and to have the engine remapped on an alpha ecu was around ?2000

v. expensive.

Anton
11-05-03, 05:18 PM
im looking to replace my 1.2 16v with a 1.6 16v with throttle bodies...

hmmm

mikeoxford
11-05-03, 06:20 PM
im looking to replace my 1.2 16v with a 1.6 16v with throttle bodies...

hmmm

just got find that rare 1.6 16v first!!!

Chris_W
11-05-03, 06:33 PM
Since when did the 1.6 16V become rare? :? As far as I knew they were in Astras, Corsas, Vectras, pretty much most newish Vauxhalls. Ok, the original Corsa GSI lump was the most powerful, but at the end of the day, when your going to be modding the car with throttle bodies I don't think you'll be worried about the 2 or 3 bhp difference thats involved.

Chris

PS. Anton, there's a few guides about on how to fit throttle bodies to the 1.6 16V, but at the end of the day you still need it setup once it's installed, so your better off leaving it with someone who knows what there doing, unless of course you can find a supplier who has a base map for the 1.6 16V that will let you get it up and running then take it to a rolling road to be mapped properly. Also, I notice nobody has mentioned the noise they make, serious :D 8) :D factor!

Dicko
11-05-03, 06:42 PM
if you want a 1.6 16v and ur fitting bodies i have a damaged c16xe (the best version of this engine) wth a damaged bottom end. but you can use an 8v bottom end like CP has as its the head that is better than other models. lemme know if ya interested. also got the f15 box to go with it

Snowface
11-05-03, 07:38 PM
is the ecotec engine not as powerful cc for cc?

mikeoxford
11-05-03, 09:28 PM
i thought good examples were rare as ollster seems to have been searching for the version of engine he wants for ages.....

perhaps it is the gsi one you talk off chris

Jules
11-05-03, 10:18 PM
As Chris_W mentioned - the noise factor.
From when I had my 1.6 with twin 40's I know from experience just what he means - the noise these babys make is gorgeous and sooo addictive, I'd just cruise along in 2nd gear sometimes just so I could feed the power in and hear the intake of air (Then I'd back off and hear the crack, crack, pop, bang from the exhaust!!). The downside of these noise are that 1) You tend to use more petrol as you just like listening to the noise, and 2) people think that your car is gonna burst in to flames at any moment when they hear the cracks and bangs from the exhaust (Well maybe that's not actually a downside :o ).
But if I could afford TB for my GSi then I'd get them without a second thought, but I need at the money I can get as I've just bought a house!!

CP
11-05-03, 10:54 PM
Can someone please explain what they do? :oops:

Ant

1.They reduce your bank balance at alarming rate
2.They make enough racket to get you pulled in on track days
3. They make your car go faster :P

They are the modern version of twin 40's etc. 1 inlet tract per cylinder complete with butterfly and petrol injector and designed for modern injection engines really. They have the edge over carbs in as much as they can be used to alter fuelling according to external conditions as the engine encounters them in real time ( temperature etc) You can only set carbs up statically. They also have a slight advantage in inlet tract design and angle - carbs are either horizontal or vertical. Combined with a good mappable ECU and a decent lambda sensor you can much more easily search for and find extra power.

Wasted really unless you mod the engine right thru as well

Stuart
11-05-03, 11:12 PM
and that serach never ends does it :)