PDA

View Full Version : fitting new gearknob and handbrake

pete_f
11-05-03, 01:17 AM
hi. i just got my first car its a 1991 nova (1000cc for insurance reasons!). im gona do it up. 1st things on my list is new gearnob and handbrake. i got ripspeed gearnob and handbrake handle and gaiters (universal fitting their not specific to novas) from halfords today.

BUT! I cut off the spongey bit of the gearnob but theres a plastic bit on the shaft that wont saw off. and now i cant really drive it cos theres no gearnob to speak of. does anyone know how to get the plasticky bit off the gearshaft?!
Plus how do you get the old plastic handle off the handbrake?

thanks a lot - sorry for my dumbass questions!

TaiTers
11-05-03, 01:25 AM
The plastic bit will come off its like a clip,when I done mine I used a screwdriver and jammed it in the gap it has going down 1 side to loosen it from the shaft , then slid it upward off the stick.

Hope this helped.

Nova-Boy
11-05-03, 01:02 PM
to get the gear knob off i destroyed the rubber grip thing nd then sawed off the shaft as close as i could to the plastic bit. makes the knob about 15mm shorter. nothing mcuh.

The handbrake sleave should slide off with some persistance. If not cut long ways down it.

blingmachine
11-05-03, 02:52 PM
best way to do it is with sum mole grips, 'grip and twist' takes a while with the gear knob but works in seconds on the handbrake.
should'nt take more than ten mins