PDA

View Full Version : in the brown stuff!

mr5050
12-07-10, 12:26 PM
driving my car down the motorway and all of a sudden the gearstick goes flying forward so far it was touching the center console! i let my foot of the revs and it went back to normal position, as soon as i put my foot down it throws itself forward again, so i slow down and slip it in fourth, same thing!? all gears are really hard to find now? and everytime i accelerate the same thing happens, normally i would just take it to my mate but it happened on the way to the airport so had no time to do anything about it. now im bricking it as we fly back tonight early hours and i got a bad feeling something major has happened, has anyone ever had something like this happen to them? cheers

Andy
12-07-10, 12:30 PM
A mount has snapped/come off

brake-dust
12-07-10, 12:35 PM
probably the back engine mount, engines dropped down at the rear, easy fix in about half hour

mr5050
12-07-10, 12:37 PM
sh!t, you think? i was thinking that but had no time to check under the car, its got a custom mount on the back of the gearbox that the previous owner had fitted and it was a pretty poor job but looked sterdy enough, obviously not! at first i thought it could be the gear selector rod was slipping in the collar which connects to the gear linkage? is that a possibility as well?

brake-dust
12-07-10, 12:39 PM
dont think so mate, my moneys on the mount, what engine is it? got a standard mount here you can have

mr5050
12-07-10, 12:40 PM
probably the back engine mount, engines dropped down at the rear, easy fix in about half hour ye an easy fix but not at 3 in the morning when youve got off a plain and just want to go home, no tools, torch or welderlol pretty fecked arent i, better get the number for aa ready lol, do you think they will attempt to fix that or just flat bed me home? cheers

mr5050
12-07-10, 12:42 PM
dont think so mate, my moneys on the mount, what engine is it? got a standard mount here you can have i wish it was standard lol, its a x16xe corsa c conversion so has a completly custom mount on the back, the AA mans gonna run a mile lol, cheers anyway pal:thumb:

brake-dust
12-07-10, 12:44 PM
ahh i see, ratchet strap round the inlet and onto the slam panel FTW lol

Jeff16v
12-07-10, 12:45 PM
Weld it back on:thumb:

mr5050
12-07-10, 12:48 PM
Weld it back on:thumb:bit of no more nails, job done lol

mowgli
12-07-10, 12:51 PM
i had a rh engine mount shear off years back & the gears went really odd. it had the old steel timing cover on & that was holding the engine against the rh inner arch...at first i thought my gear linkage was gone....

mr5050
12-07-10, 12:51 PM
Weld it back on:thumb:where you from in S,E london mate, thats where i got the car from, wonder if you know it, met blue corsa c thats slammed on 16" fox multispokes and sounds like a baby scooby?

mr5050
12-07-10, 12:54 PM
i had a rh engine mount shear off years back & the gears went really odd. it had the old steel timing cover on & that was holding the engine against the rh inner arch...at first i thought my gear linkage was gone....ye thtas what i fort, it would happen on the way to the airport:roll: now ive got a load of agro to go through as soon as i step of the plain tonight, tbh is kinda ruined my holiday coz its all i thought about all week, i didnt want to ask sooner as i know i would be gutted when i found out what went wrong, basterd

mr5050
12-07-10, 12:57 PM
cheers anyways lads, great help

blue_peg_16v
12-07-10, 02:02 PM
aa will be flat bedding you mate

mr5050
12-07-10, 02:15 PM
aa will be flat bedding you mate:( :( :( shyzer, perfect way to end a holiday lol

mowgli
12-07-10, 02:18 PM
you need family like mine.
my brother's discovery fuel pump went wrong at a cousins house near brighton, when he was due to fly out from gatwick for a week to barbados...
we got the bits, arranged for the keys to be sent to me, drove 180 miles, fixed it in 5 minutes, stuck the car in the long stay & made sure that he was given the keys & ticket upon landing. so his family could drive home after the holiday.

me, i usually take public transport or a taxi to the airport... i get to drink & relax safely.

Jeff16v
12-07-10, 02:19 PM
Forget the welding, didn't realise you were roadsidelol

Don't know of the corsa mate, hope it all pans out:thumb: