PDA

View Full Version : XE bike carb questions

SRlew
11-07-10, 06:00 PM
had a search etc but couldnt find what i wanted to know.

when converting c20xe to bike carbs what happens to the engine loom? does it all get binned off etc or do you need to keep part of it for crank sensor etc
and what sort of ignition system do you go for?

engine wont be going back into a vauxhall so trying to get my head around the wiring situation

cheers lew

blue_peg_16v
11-07-10, 07:25 PM
the loom would get binned and then for ignition you have 2 options full management eg mbe system with new loom to control spark or the tryed and tested mk2 cavalier 1.6 dizzy wiring amp and coil (h&r do a brand new kit version for about £250) its 3 wires and away you go i ran the dizzy with twin webers simple system and easy to advance and retard

Mazz
12-07-10, 11:31 AM
Got a link to H&R Mr.Peg? I've googled, but can't find it :(

Got these sit in the corner of the room haunting me!!

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y191/mrmazz/Nova/Image0108_Medium.jpg

philip
12-07-10, 11:42 AM
There not carbs there throttle bodies, so u need some sort of management to run them.

Mazz
12-07-10, 11:50 AM
iirc they are off a GSXR...

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y191/mrmazz/Nova/Image0105_Medium.jpg

Prey
12-07-10, 12:20 PM
Yes they are bodies - you would need full management to run the fuel and spark (eg megasquirt) so a lot more involved than carbs.

To run bike carbs you would scrap pretty much all of the engine loom apart from the sensors for the dash and fan wiring etc. You don't even need the crank sensor stuff - you can run a dizzy or just ignition management like megajolt - that runs off its own loom using the carb tps and an aftermarket trigger wheel.

If you have a look in my wip there's a fair few pics etc of the megajolt install. I ran a dizzy with r1s on a 1.6 8v and upgraded to megajolt and I'd really recommend it.

SRlew
12-07-10, 05:06 PM
ah thats good to no so then the only wires from engine should just be like you said ones goin to the clocks etc?

no sensors at all? wont need any of the loom at all? good, i hate ecu stuff.

might go for a megajolt set up as my mate got one for his mini looked a good bit of kit so can set rev limit etc

blue_peg_16v
12-07-10, 06:58 PM
can get a rev limiter for about £40 and the rest from the scrapers and alot simpler than megajolt

and mazz there throttlebodies so you will need management newer bikes run throtlebodies not carbs may be possible to use an xe loom sbd used to do an adapter that pluged into the xe loom instead of the ecu then allowed connection of an mbe ecu dont know if it would work but might be worth a look

1 way to check mazz is is there any way of fueling bar the xe injectors looks in those pics like the answer is no so there throttle bodies if there carbs then the link is

http://www.h-h-ignitionsolutions.co.uk/

its handh not handr i fail lol

SRlew
12-07-10, 07:15 PM
are there any benifits of megajolt over the dizzy set up??

Prey
12-07-10, 09:54 PM
I noticed a big improvement - basically you are running a 3d ignition map based on rpm from the crank sensor and load from the tps or a map sensor - granted you can modify the advance curve on a dizzy but its never going to be as configurable as megajolt. Also gives the benefit of being able to tweak infinitely to suit your spec ie if you upgrade.

Other stuff that megajolt can do:
- soft rev limiter built in
- hard rev limiter addon is cheap (this actually cuts coil power rather than grounding it like the omex etc)
- will run your tacho - its a standard 5v output and works with most clocks ive tried - even the standard vaux ones
- shift light output
- 4 user outs - can run christmas tree shift lights or trigger other circuits
- input - can take into account another input, ie water temp or a switch if you wanted
- can switch maps - you can put two maps on and switch them via either a switch or an input

cant think of anything else off the top of my head

forgot to add - the megajolt reduced my emissions by quite a bit and allowed me to up the fuelling without changing any other engine spec

Mazz
12-07-10, 10:28 PM
What the rough price of a MJ setup though? I ideally wanted a cheapo setup!! lol

Mazz
12-07-10, 10:36 PM
Holy crap batman!!

A quick google later and i'm really shocked, its really cheap imo

http://trigger-wheels.com/store/contents/en-uk/d34.html

I'm on an early (dizzy) XE so what would i need to change?

It says 'New coil pack and connector', so i'd need to change my cams to the later ones - anything else?

PS, sorry for the thread hi-jack Lew :(

16v Nova Kev
12-07-10, 10:43 PM
no good for you tho mazz.

Mazz
12-07-10, 11:05 PM
Why so?

(spot the noobie!)

16v Nova Kev
12-07-10, 11:07 PM
unless you buy carb's instead if the bike bodies you have.
megajolt=carbs
megasquirt= bodies.

Mazz
12-07-10, 11:17 PM
a-ha :)

Thanks +rep

Its starting to get complicated now though :cry:

16v Nova Kev
12-07-10, 11:20 PM
sell the bodies and buy r1 carbs or whatever ones float your boat.
im just waiting for my inlet from bogg bros and im going to do a how to.

Mazz
12-07-10, 11:28 PM
Yep, i think that might be the call, shame :(

bike carb's + H&R dizzy = simples

I'll await you 'how-to' too :)

16v Nova Kev
12-07-10, 11:30 PM
carbs and mk2 cav dizz im going for then i will fit mega jolt and a wideband.

The Simps
13-07-10, 12:04 AM
I'm going megajolt on my setup. You can get the trigger wheel, megajolt & edis4 stuff all from www.triggerwheels.com.

I've also made a custom manifold with straight runners and just need spacers made up for the carbs now.

Prey
13-07-10, 12:05 AM
if you want to talk about the details of megajolt over dizzy pm tom reid as he has helped set mine up and we have had the knock sensor and wideband on it. Also on his gas analyser when it was running dizzy and since with the megajolt. He can also source everything you would need if you wanted to go down that route - manifold, megajolt built, plug and play loom etc etc.

SRlew
13-07-10, 04:36 PM
no worries mazz its all good to know altho im getting confused ha, will see about the mj set up when i get round to it altho i dont like the idea of keeping the crank sensor etc, i dont want any thing there like that ha

The Simps
13-07-10, 05:17 PM
Ok SRlew,

You will be ditching the entire engine loom. The only thing that will need plugging in on the engine is thermostat (which is in your lights loom) and the mini loom that goes to alternator, starter.

To run the carbs on megajolt it runs Fords EDIS-4 ignition system. This is basically a coilpack, module and crank sensor. You will have to make a bracket for the crank sensor and buy a universal trigger wheel as the std vaux sensor is no good. The universal trigger wheel bolts up to your bottom pulley and you would mount the sensor obviously near it there.

The wiring really is very minimal. I got mine down to just this...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v310/TheSimps/Nova/Nova%20Coupe%20Project/15-03-09014.jpg

You can see the wires coming through the bulkhead. That also includes what goes to the megajolt.

I did a lot of work on my wiring (was actually very simple tho) and relocated everything into the scuttle.

This is what the finished article would have been with the exception of the missing header tank...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v310/TheSimps/Nova/Nova%20Coupe%20Project/6400_103241932738_710152738_2133145.jpg

It really easy hiding wiring when running carbs.

novaxe235
13-07-10, 06:02 PM
I'm interested in this I'm thinking of ditching my H+H ignition setup and going for m'jolt but what do you do about the dizzy drive on the end of the cam, block it up or something?.

tom reid
13-07-10, 06:25 PM
I'm interested in this I'm thinking of ditching my H+H ignition setup and going for m'jolt but what do you do about the dizzy drive on the end of the cam, block it up or something?.

I'd advise on selling it too, I'll never run a dizzy on an engine ever again.
I use the blanking plate off of a dispack engine to cover the exhaust cam.
I have a complete dizzy set up going cheap, H+H dist modified for Autosprint 286 cams, new coil and amp and wiring loom all for 130 quid, bought new last year.

16v Nova Kev
13-07-10, 06:39 PM
i was watching your vids on youtube today.^^

tom reid
13-07-10, 06:46 PM
i was watching your vids on youtube today.^^

Hope you enjoyed them

Nobby
13-07-10, 06:58 PM
ZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzz with these now use search!

16v Nova Kev
13-07-10, 07:09 PM
Hope you enjoyed them

oh aye the white nova with the trumpets sticking out the bonnet:thumb:

novaxe235
13-07-10, 09:48 PM
I'd advise on selling it too, I'll never run a dizzy on an engine ever again.
I use the blanking plate off of a dispack engine to cover the exhaust cam.
I have a complete dizzy set up going cheap, H+H dist modified for Autosprint 286 cams, new coil and amp and wiring loom all for 130 quid, bought new last year. So if i bought the kit that mazz posted on the previous page from Trigger wheels would i need anything else except blanking plate?.

MK999
13-07-10, 09:53 PM
This is what the finished article would have been with the exception of the missing header tank...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v310/TheSimps/Nova/Nova%20Coupe%20Project/6400_103241932738_710152738_2133145.jpg

That looks pretty cool actually...

http://www.asia.ru/images/target/photo/51719843/Angle_Grinder.jpg
oh well lol

The Simps
13-07-10, 10:10 PM
Took alot of balls Mark to get choppy choppy on it! Was so close to be driven it was unreal! No regrets tho ;)

tom reid
13-07-10, 11:55 PM
So if i bought the kit that mazz posted on the previous page from Trigger wheels would i need anything else except blanking plate?.

Yes, you'd need to make your own crank sensor mount as the TW universal one is carp, and you'll need to make up the loom they send you, it's a bunch of wires with no connectors fitted, not a loom at all.

Simps
That engine bay is stunning:thumb:

The Simps
14-07-10, 01:01 AM
Cheers Tom, shame to of had to chop it up but needs must!

Mazz
14-07-10, 09:47 AM
Good thread guys :)

Still sulking about my TB's though...

Prey
14-07-10, 09:59 AM
Yes, you'd need to make your own crank sensor mount as the TW universal one is carp, and you'll need to make up the loom they send you, it's a bunch of wires with no connectors fitted, not a loom at all.

Simps
That engine bay is stunning:thumb:

Agree on the bay!

Disagree on the term 'loom' in that context tho - the triggerwheels kit isnt a loom, its some lengths of wire that you would use to make a loom.

I'll be rewiring my megajolt (I took it out to reposition everything and tidy my bay wiring) sometime in the next week or so so will take plenty of pics.

tom reid
14-07-10, 10:12 AM
Agree on the bay!

Disagree on the term 'loom' in that context tho - the triggerwheels kit isnt a loom, its some lengths of wire that you would use to make a loom.

I'll be rewiring my megajolt (I took it out to reposition everything and tidy my bay wiring) sometime in the next week or so so will take plenty of pics.

Disagree?, you can't disagree with me, you objectionableArabicmotherfunkindesertloverlol

SRlew
18-07-10, 10:49 AM
got some r1's sorted now so getting there ha, what you all done with the water pipe that goes in to the bottom of the standard inlet?

any one got a bogg bro's manifold? pics?

Cheeze
18-07-10, 11:52 AM
I just used one from a standard nova, and blanked off the head one mate,

Think my inlet is a bp grassin manifold

16v Nova Kev
19-07-10, 10:48 AM
i will have bogg bros manifold pics soon. i got them to put the water pipes into it and also the vacume pipes.

SRlew
20-07-10, 03:30 PM
can you do away with the inlet water pipe?
can just replace that hose out the block with one that doesnt half the t for the manifold and would be reet right?
or is it needed for suction or something?

lew

blue_peg_16v
20-07-10, 05:14 PM
you can do away with the water jacket, sbd do manifolds for webbers with and without it

SRlew
20-07-10, 05:19 PM
ah sound, will get rid of that. least i know i can get the manifold with just the brake servo outlet and alternator bracket