PDA

View Full Version : Remote start wiring, carb engine

Earl Grey
10-07-10, 01:32 PM
The alarm I'm installing in my car has a remote start function which I want to use, I need to know what to wire the 'started' sense wire to. ie a wire that goes live once the engine has successfully stared? don't know how easy this is going to be as its a 1.2 carb engine. Any help would be much appreciated!

General Baxter
10-07-10, 01:34 PM
good luck with that, it will turn it over, but £5 it wont start, hows it going to choke it lol

Earl Grey
10-07-10, 01:44 PM
I'm going to leave put choke on before I stop it ;)

It's only a gimmick anyway, probably wont use it much but would be nice to have when the winter mornings kick in

General Baxter
10-07-10, 01:45 PM
so it will flood instead lol

mk1nova_rich
10-07-10, 02:04 PM
buy a push bike, they are guaranteed to work all year round lol

Earl Grey
10-07-10, 05:34 PM
hmm, I already have a pushbike. So the general consensus is not to bother then?

mk1nova_rich
10-07-10, 05:44 PM
personally i wouldnt bother, but its completely up to you. just seems more hassle than its worth really

AlexW
10-07-10, 07:38 PM
I wouldnt bother, nothing to stop it from starting if its in gear.
Plus there is a chance the starter will get stuck on, not ideal.

andy_mk3
10-07-10, 08:00 PM
Insurance companies don't like them much either!

simonm
10-07-10, 08:41 PM
if its 1.2 ohc with prob auto choke it should work fine and just connect to the small wire on the alternator as it will cut the starer as soon as it starts charging which will be straight away

AlexW
11-07-10, 01:33 AM
It wont be auto choke. I wouldnt bother at all.

Vausey_Nova_Knotla
12-07-10, 10:42 PM
dont bother no need Lol use the key :D or but a start button ot make one if your that posistant to be cool but i wouldnt bother

L14MNP
13-07-10, 12:04 PM
I installed one on my 1400 SR. Auto choke FTW.

Lack of neutral switch on the gearbox... lol

Jack
13-07-10, 04:11 PM
You can use the negative feed from the coil, in the same way the rev counter reads. You can program the alarm to start it and keep it at a certain rev range, you'd probably need it around 1k for a decent cold start.

MattBrown
13-07-10, 04:16 PM
I really dont see how it would start in gear :s

As if you turn a car over in gear, with the handbrake on it does nothing, just pulls and sits there streighning!

If you want to do it then go for it.

I would leave the choke a 1/4 out, then when you wake up in the morning, you can just flick the switch, and come out to a nice warm car ready to go to work in

Earl Grey
13-07-10, 05:07 PM
Thanks Jack, unfortunately the alarm I have is not programable for a rev counter feed only live 12V.

I've now got it wired into the small blue/white wire from the alternator, but seem to be getting some problems as this is the feed for the charge warning light. I think maybe I need some kind of diode setup or just remove the charge warning light?

As for starting in gear it sin't likely as to set the remote start you have to press a button, take the keys out with the engine running, get out and the engine stops when you set the alarm via the button - so the car should be in neutral to do this.

It starts ok with a bit of choke left on, not sure how well it'll start when the mornings get cold though - guess I'll just have to wait and see ;)

Jack
13-07-10, 05:43 PM
or just remove the charge warning light?
Don't do that, the battery warning light is (stupidly, IMO) part of the charge circuit. So if the light is removed or blows, the battery stops charging :tard:

Earl Grey
13-07-10, 06:03 PM
Are you sure about that? I thought the big red wire coming from the alternator charged the battery? The blue wire from the alternator had been hanging off since I bought the car, until I reconnected it at the weekend. Maybe someone before me has done some wierdness to the wiring...

simonm
13-07-10, 06:55 PM
the small blue and white wire is the one that excites the alternator to start charging you have live to the charge light when ignition is on and it earths through the alternator there fore turning on the light when the alernator starts charging it sends live back to the light turning it off

Earl Grey
14-07-10, 12:19 AM
Yeah Simonm thats what I figured - so it doesn't charge the battery, only an indication that the alternator is working?

If I connect the 'sense' wire to this with the charge light connected the +12v will sink to the alarm telling it the engine is already running. The best plan I can come up with is to run this feed to a relay to switch on a live when the alternator is charging. Similar to how the heated rear window relay works I think - ie only will come on when the engine is running?

nova_saloon
14-07-10, 01:03 AM
got one on mine, good fun they are. just make sure you have things connected up properly. because its a carb it will probs need a blip on the throttle to get it started. but the point of them is to get the heaters going and the engine warm for when you get in in the cold. and if its not starting in the cold, bit of a waste of time really. but there a hoot. and a funny party trick!

simonm
14-07-10, 05:09 PM
Yeah Simonm thats what I figured - so it doesn't charge the battery, only an indication that the alternator is working?

If I connect the 'sense' wire to this with the charge light connected the +12v will sink to the alarm telling it the engine is already running. The best plan I can come up with is to run this feed to a relay to switch on a live when the alternator is charging. Similar to how the heated rear window relay works I think - ie only will come on when the engine is running?

the small blue/white wire from the alternator is not live untill it is charging thats what puts the light out as it wont work with live to both sides its earthed through the alternator till its charging so there fore you get a live feed for your alarm to tell it its running once connected to the alternator side of charging light ya should have no problems :thumb:

Earl Grey
16-07-10, 11:26 AM
right, seems I didn't quite understand how an alternator charging circuit works - Jack you are right the blue/white wire is part of the charging circuit. Not sure how long its been disconnected for, maybe I knocked it off when I was looking around the engine bay.

Simonm, thats sounds about right.