PDA

View Full Version : wot bits are needed 4 the following?

djp_y2k
10-05-03, 05:38 PM
I may be buying a 2.0l 16v engine, gearbox, loom, driveshafts for ?300. Its out of a cavalier or calibra cant remember which one.

He said its the red top one, with out the distributor.

First off is this a good price as its done 95000 miles. Didnt sound to bad to me.

And secondly wot else will I need for it to fit. I wouldnt have thought I would be able to use the driveshafts that come with.

ANy help would be cool.

Snowface
10-05-03, 06:06 PM
uprate your brakes and also harder springs on front apparently.

mikeoxford
10-05-03, 07:25 PM
uprate your brakes and also harder springs on front apparently.

u may get away with using standard springs (rather than lowered) lowering springs compress to easily and ull find the nose of your car sag

put standard jobbies on and it will drop still but not too much

ive seen this done, looks and handles ok, ultimately buy some proper springs for the job

as for price

dosent seem to bad

try knocking him down a little cos of the mileage

i know its a bad comparison but i no sum1 who bvought a whole cav sri and got the engine out for ?100

only needed to buy driveshaft or cv - but they guy wanted to scrap the car hence the good price i suppose.

ade
11-05-03, 12:28 PM
do you not havew to get the engfine seam welded? extra power twisting chassis etc...

Best off speaking to someone like Ian

mikeoxford
11-05-03, 06:18 PM
do you not havew to get the engfine seam welded? extra power twisting chassis etc...

Best off speaking to someone like Ian

engine BAY welded not the engine ade ;)

its best to sticth weld, ian (i think) had seam welding, and it leave no weak points and reinforces the car too far. hence when he bumped his bluen there was no weak point to break and it was a right off

i think im not far wrong, but wait for him to tell u

2litreturbo
11-05-03, 06:23 PM
http://www.pvdnet.co.uk/conversion/nova.asp

Lee H
12-05-03, 08:43 AM
Use Nova GTE/GSi driveshafts with late mk2 Cav inner CV's.

That is a good price for the engine and box.

Get the engine bay seam welded or stitch welded, either way if you bump it its going to be solid and probably write the car off.

Don't need the PVD kit, overpriced in my opinion as all the bits can be got cheaper elsewhere.

2litreturbo
12-05-03, 01:31 PM
Don't need the PVD kit, overpriced in my opinion as all the bits can be got cheaper elsewhere.

yeah soz i didn't mean buy the pvd kit. I just put that link there cos the guy asked wot he needed and the pvd page lists everything that you need.

Lee H
12-05-03, 01:31 PM
Sorry :oops:

2litreturbo
12-05-03, 01:35 PM
no worries

Rick Draper
12-05-03, 05:30 PM
IMHO i would buy the PVD kit, its all guaranteed unlike most of the crap places sell. The driveshafts are guaranteed and the mount on the front is far stronger than the carquip thing. Rick