PDA

View Full Version : indicators flashing too fast leds fitted

turnipheed
09-07-10, 10:26 PM
hi i have a problem with my indicators, to begin with the indicators were not working at all it was fitted with a 180w 3 pin flasher unit which looks after market as the front indicators are leds (12v 1w) and the rear are standard and no side repeaters are fitted i removed the 180w and fitted a standard 21w flasher unit the indicators now work but are flashing rapid but the hazards are at the correct speed can anyone shed some light, would this indicate that the 180w flasher is what causes the resistence and slows down the indicators?:wtf: :wtf: :wtf: :confused:
any help would be appreciated regards stui

or even if some one could tell me what size of resistor i would need to cause 20w of resistence??

mk1nova_rich
09-07-10, 10:27 PM
indicators usually flash too fast if there is a bulb out, so your lack of side repeaters suggests that the new flasher unit is designed for cars with side repeaters

Nova_Tek
09-07-10, 10:29 PM
As LED's use much less power they often trip the fast repeat warning telling you a bulb is out.

Dave.
10-07-10, 12:52 AM
Id just stick some bulbs in your side repeater's, and leave them dangling down inside the wing :thumb:

General Baxter
10-07-10, 12:54 AM
it wont help, your going to have to put a resister in the line,

you need 4 x21watts for it to flash correct

Graeme
10-07-10, 06:58 AM
it wont help, your going to have to put a resister in the line,

you need 4 x21watts for it to flash correct

Either add an additional bulb hidden somewhere or a suitable resistor into the circuit, and I've never had a problem with removing side repeaters, the front and rear lamps still flash as normal, Why do you need to run led bulbs?

Nova_Tek
10-07-10, 11:21 AM
^ True, I've replaced side repeater bulbs on the Cav to LED items and it hasn't affect the flash rate. I've had a bulb removed too and it's been ok.

I've been considering swapping my front bulbs to LED's as the silver-tech bulbs after a while start losing their sliver coating and the flash becomes like an eggy colour. My clear indicators have no orange cap inside so I'd need something clear that flashes orange. LED's will fit the bill.

I assume that's what Turnipheed has in mind.

General Baxter
10-07-10, 11:41 AM
thats because the side repeaters are only 5watts

bazil
10-07-10, 12:10 PM
A little info and possable solution

http://www.phoenixautobulbs.co.uk/led-resistor-kit-p-306.html

turnipheed
10-07-10, 02:09 PM
i found some inline resistor type thingys on the bay 8 quid including p and p so i willgive them a bash, the reason its got no side reapeaters and leds on the front is it has a wide arch kit dont really want bulbs dangling about the place so i will give these resistors a bash
thanks stui