PDA

View Full Version : overheating

scotte
10-05-03, 09:53 AM
i reconnected my temp sensor as it was disconected for about 3 months evrything was fine for a few days now when i drive it it reads very hot used to stay at 3 blocks on digi dash all the time now it goes to 4 sometimes 5 and yesterday it went all the way to the top. i have no coolant in the engine would this matter??????im not getting any steam or anything coming out .how do i know if it is that hot or just a faulty sensor or something else??its a 92 gsi

jatinder
10-05-03, 10:03 AM
You need colant antifreeze mix as it helps dispirse heat also the engine will rust on the inside, best thing do do iget some radiator cleaner put that in let it do its job flush the coollant, and repeat till the water coming out is almost clear them buy some good antifreeze/coolant and put it in there, It doesnt cost that much you radiator is probably blocked up with gunk and bits of rust.

brian
10-05-03, 11:11 AM
what jatinder said is all true but the engine shouldn't overheat without coolant. water alone keeps it cool. is the fan coming on in traffic? if not the rad switch could be gone.
to sort this until you get a switch plug it out and cross the plug with a bit of wire and the fan will stay on constant.
as i said i'm on about if the car is overheating while stationary or in traffic

ade
10-05-03, 11:24 AM
id the thermostat opening? Engine will get v hot until the thermostat kicks in then the water will circulate and cool it.

If the temp dont drop after 10 mins running then the thermostat aint working properly. mine wasnt - now its ok after changing

Ade

mikeoxford
10-05-03, 11:55 AM
i read that as u were running a dry engine and no water or anything :lol:

ive just got water in at the moment. ran out of antifreeze/coolant

mines running ok

check the stat first there a nightmare

scotte
10-05-03, 12:44 PM
i got water in there i had anti freeze but i loose coolant and i dunno where it goes. i could change the thermostat but dont i have to change the cambelt off to do that ist it a bit of an arse to do???