PDA

View Full Version : nova c20xe cambelt/water pump change

Huffy
07-07-10, 10:51 PM
Hello im just after some advice its time for me to do the cambelt and water pump on my nova c20xe later type engine. this is the first time ive done a cambelt and because of the limited amount of room there is under the bonnet just wanted to know if its a hard job and if theres anything to watch out for

any advice would be most helpful :thumb:

Lee H
07-07-10, 10:53 PM
Cambelt is fairly easy but the water pump will involve removing the engine mount and raising or lowering the engine to get enough room to get the pump out.

AlexW
07-07-10, 10:54 PM
Cambelt is fairly easy but the water pump will involve removing the engine mount and raising or lowering the engine to get enough room to get the pump out.

Most likly need to have a swing at the pump to get it out too aswell.

Huffy
07-07-10, 10:56 PM
:( this job seems like it just got alot harder

Nobby
07-07-10, 11:00 PM
if you are mechanically minded its a piece of piss, if not dont bother it aint worth risking you engine, remember to use the timing marks on the rocker cover and the one behind the crank pulley i like to tipex my own aswell. Max 2 hour job

blue_peg_16v
07-07-10, 11:14 PM
not to hard mate theres plenty of room for the cam belt and the pump shouldnt be to hard just jack the engine up

chrisnovaturbo
08-07-10, 12:08 AM
if you was a bit closer you could drop it in and i will do for £80, but your 4 and half hours away lol

mowgli
08-07-10, 12:18 AM
ask a local garage for a quote.

Huffy
08-07-10, 07:18 PM
ask a local garage for a quote.

ive just finished my nvq level 2 in motor vehcle mechanics and im starting my level 3 in september but i dont work in a garage tho done the course of an evening. i want to have a crack at it my self seems a very straight forward job in a cavailer lol just in a nova :wtf: with the room stich and the water pump

oh year cheers for the advice aswell :thumb: i havent yet bought the kit or water pump yet because theres a few little jobs that want doing before this one as you can see

http://i385.photobucket.com/albums/oo294/huffx1983/th_wrexhamnova020.jpg (http://s385.photobucket.com/albums/oo294/huffx1983/?action=view&current=wrexhamnova020.jpg)

mowgli
08-07-10, 07:30 PM
ive just finished my nvq level 2 in motor vehcle mechanics and im starting my level 3 in september

if you don't mind me asking, just what is an nvq2 level allow you to do???

Huffy
08-07-10, 11:01 PM
it allows me to play with cars to a degree

Nobby
11-07-10, 03:11 PM
if you don't mind me asking, just what is an nvq2 level allow you to do???

dont mean to affend mate but it means fuk all basically its mechanics out of a book and you get like 1 maybe 1-1/2 days a week in a workshop working on cars that have been took a part umpteen times and had the problems your suppost to find done by the tutors. I should know i did it lol we spent a month in my 1st year learning how to jack a car up safely and remove a wheel!

Huffy
11-07-10, 09:11 PM
i already know how to do a few things with cars and engines but wanted to do somthing with my self so i went to collage

mowgli
11-07-10, 09:13 PM
ok. huffy, get the haynes book & study it, then break out the spanners. its the only way to learn

nova_saloon
11-07-10, 09:16 PM
^ agreed, the later type engine is a funny one to time, i found ti annoying getting the timing marks all good, a bit harder then the earlier type, but its not difficult just dont bugger it up lol. and always turn the engine aruond a couple of times with a torx socket piece and make sure then tension has gone through the belt before daring to start it!

mowgli
11-07-10, 09:22 PM
& get one of those cam pulley locking thingy's.

Huffy
11-07-10, 09:58 PM
ive already had the haynes out and seems straight forward enough

MattBrown
13-07-10, 04:12 PM
NVQ, or Not very qualified lol

Its easy enough andy, ill pop round when your doing it if you want? Give you a hand?

mowgli
13-07-10, 04:23 PM
NVQ, or Not very qualified lol

Its easy enough andy, ill pop round when your doing it if you want? Give you a hand?

having you there clapping really isn't going to help......