PDA

View Full Version : injection fuel pump

n-vaux
07-07-10, 01:49 PM
Is it necessary to have the fuel pump wired up to a relay? some of the rally cars around my area don't bother they just have it wired up to a switch, so neither did i but i have now had 2 pumps stop working on me! maybe I'm burning them out?

mowgli
07-07-10, 01:53 PM
if it is efi, then it needs a relay to control the pressure fed to the injectors.

what spec is the engine.

the rally ones are probably running on twin webers & the pump will draw way less.

are you running it with the correct tank?

MattBrown
07-07-10, 03:00 PM
How does the relay control the pressure?

Thats the regulators job, mine have always pumped constantly when running.

mowgli
07-07-10, 03:08 PM
my e16SE switches on & off at startup, but i know xe & let are constant running at startup, but they still have a control relay, surely it wouldn't have one if it wasn't necessary.... if it was purely running full on when the ignition was turned on, it would be hard wired to the ign +ve

AlexW
07-07-10, 03:53 PM
Depending on the engine depends how it works. Some pump until a pressure is reached, others just pump for a set time, or all the time, which imo is silly as ign can be turned on for ages sometimes (Like when doing electrical work)

n-vaux
07-07-10, 04:06 PM
the engine is a standard c20xe, its in a autograss car so there no car loom etc. The pump is a c20xe one.

mowgli
07-07-10, 04:09 PM
are you wrecking new or old pumps? could it be a fuel tank/swirlpot type problem?

maybe a decent inline fuel filter is needed

Will F
07-07-10, 04:13 PM
Permenant will be fine - people say it burns them out, but mine has been running OK for a few years!

n-vaux
07-07-10, 05:44 PM
they are used ones, 2 of them have stopped working after about 8 hours running time.
I carnt understand why tho?:confused:

when i flick the switch there's just a thud in the pump and that's it.

MattBrown
07-07-10, 05:46 PM
Permenant will be fine - people say it burns them out, but mine has been running OK for a few years!

Should be, as they do 150,000 miles with them runninglol

mowgli
07-07-10, 06:12 PM
so maybe a relay would be a smoother operation, or maybe you are running too high a pressure, & have you got a fuel filter in line??

Nobby
07-07-10, 07:01 PM
as said my old xe was to a ignition live switch and was fine mate

MattBrown
07-07-10, 07:04 PM
Pressure shouldnt really affect it, as it will only restrict flow.

However, how many volts is your alternator producing?

Is it an overvolting problem?

n-vaux
07-07-10, 09:24 PM
I think i'll check the voltage. Its racing Sunday so i'll have to sort it out quick, trouble is i don't know if its gonna be ok until then (if it brakes down or not).
Ive done a couple of pumps straight to a live with a switch and never had a problem before.
Cheers tho fellas :thumb:

simonm
07-07-10, 09:38 PM
you should be ok to run it constant as it does when the engine is running anyway its only run off a relay so it can be triggered from a low current from the ecu so it can cut when on over run just to stop unburned fuel coming out the exhaust