PDA

View Full Version : tank mod

davidfox280585
06-07-10, 07:34 PM
got a new tank now do i weld the breather pipe up next to the return as imnot using it cheers by the way im runing a c20xe and its a spi tank with a mpi internal pump

blue_peg_16v
06-07-10, 08:43 PM
thought there should be a pipe that runs along the edge of the tank as a breather, if tour not using it id probably put a bit of pipe in with a bolt in the end and clamp em not sure id want to weld an old fuel tank

davidfox280585
06-07-10, 08:58 PM
i think i will fit an extra long pipe and raise it high

mk1nova_rich
06-07-10, 09:23 PM
as above i wouldnt bother risking welding it

davidfox280585
08-07-10, 08:42 PM
fitted the spi tank today with 1.8i cavalier pump internal,i never modded the pump just pushed it in then bolted it in,
now its even worse its now underfuelling badly,

the tank was a spi the pipe running through the spi pump(not wired up) then to a xe external pump,

now removed the pump fitted a hose from the underside of the old pump mount into the swirl pot and running an xe external pump,

this ran sweet went round block and seems the xe pump has locked up solid,
can anyone explain which way the pump goes ie the small end feed to the engine or is the small end suck from the tank cheers

burgo
08-07-10, 10:46 PM
if it was a 1,8spi pump thats your problem.

the small end is the feed to the engine

also you need the breather or you will create a massive vacuum in the tank and the pump wont be able to suck any fuel

simonm
08-07-10, 10:54 PM
if using a spi tank and internal mpi pump you will need to shorten the pipe inside the tank or it will just block it off on the bottom of the tank when bolted in as its longer than the spi one

davidfox280585
13-07-10, 06:38 PM
if it was a 1,8spi pump thats your problem.

the small end is the feed to the engine

also you need the breather or you will create a massive vacuum in the tank and the pump wont be able to suck any fuel

was from an 1800 cavalier facelift i thought they were all mpi burgo,it was on top of another car so to check was a little awkward but i thought they didnt do a spi cav so didnt check,thats where i must of gone wrong then,
i did have a vacuum running along the tank edge,cheers for the input:thumb:

General Baxter
13-07-10, 07:03 PM
all 1.8 mk3 cavs are spi lol

davidfox280585
14-07-10, 08:52 AM
all 1.8 mk3 cavs are spi lol
Thats why then, i only have diesel cavs petrol ones are not for me except the turbos,teach me to check next time