PDA

View Full Version : Autosprint heads

Mike
05-07-10, 05:50 PM
They worth the money for a "Stage 3" spec at £495.00?

"Autosprint are extremely well known for their range of modified cylinder heads. Confidently invest in the finest heads available with the latest computer-aided flow design technology. Pro Flow heads work; don't be confused by our sensible prices - you will not better our quality at any price. Buy confidently knowing you are purchasing the best value-for-money performance available today. Each head is meticulously prepared to the highest engineering standards. The section below contains a small selection from our range - "exchange" where possible."

Lee
05-07-10, 06:21 PM
I neary bought an Autosprint head for my jetta many moons ago, but opted for a TSR Pack D instead, but I did use their cam, and it was excellent.

discoinferno
05-07-10, 06:23 PM
they seem good

burgo
05-07-10, 11:06 PM
tom reid has close dealings with them i believe

djbrowney
05-07-10, 11:09 PM
pm gaz-d on mig for a better job and price !!!

dhdev (Oli)
06-07-10, 07:38 AM
My head, cams and block work were all Autosprint stuff, Geoff really does know his stuff. He also makes a lot of stuff for other companies who then palm it off as their own work ;)

Mike
06-07-10, 02:11 PM
pm gaz-d on mig for a better job and price !!!

Define "better job"

Nice one for the input Oli :thumb:

wwmnw
06-07-10, 02:15 PM
I asked Gaz`D about this and this is the reply I got

xe/let heads we charge £400 to port the head and fit 1mm oversize valves and doing porous head mod this includes a reface,fitting guide inserts,cutting valve seats and building up head all + parts like valves,inserts,and bypass pipe etc but we are unable to do any work for a while yet mate your looking at 4 months min

His work is well spoken of, and so is Jeff's at Autosprint but Jeff would probably have it done quicker if you're in a hurry.

Mboasty
06-07-10, 06:05 PM
get it from geoff, he know's exactly what he's talking about & wont rip you off.
ive just had loads of work done by him / brought parts & its all good, he even showed me how to port the head,of which i have done myself which has saved me some coin, but not time! lol

Mike
06-07-10, 06:09 PM
I asked Gaz`D about this and this is the reply I got

His work is well spoken of, and so is Jeff's at Autosprint but Jeff would probably have it done quicker if you're in a hurry.

I think Ill stick to Autosprint regardless of the good rep Mr Gaz'd has...

Mboasty
06-07-10, 06:12 PM
good choice mike you wont be disapointed. while i was over there geoff showed me one of the full blown race heads that he had waiting for a customer it was a work of art!

Mike
06-07-10, 06:16 PM
it was a work of art!

Thats the kinda things I like to hear :) I needs to go shopping for an engine then....

Ps. Any geustimate on +hp figures from his headwork (curios)

Mboasty
06-07-10, 06:31 PM
tbh i never asked him, dident give it a thought as i never purchased a head from him, i just had mine checked acis dipped & skimed, then he showed me ruffly how to port it. i got him to reprofile my camshafts for fast road & also got some venier pullys, 1mm oversize valves, double valve springs & smaler stem seals, all supplied by geoff. ive had the whole engine balanced, re bored, new autosprint flat top pistons, rings, bearings, steel rods + arp bolts, & a new oil pump, think thats it.

craig green
06-07-10, 06:39 PM
Define "better job"

define stage 3! lol

philip
07-07-10, 03:36 PM
Stages are realy a thing of the past, mainly xflow, pinto boys.

If going turbo dont use geoffs valves there not up to the job, use paul ivey valves. Geoffs valves are also 1mm larger above the collet which could cause ballache when shimming.

And something else to consider...just because a head is shiny doesnt mean its awesme. I know neil roper who is one of the top head guys imo, he doesnt finish the ex ports mirror finish like some do, which to the magpies would be put off and say its crap, but proven to make good power, By no means that aimed at geoff. But just dont think because something looks the part, it is the part, my heads i do may not look shiny, but they make the power.

mowgli
07-07-10, 04:07 PM
philip, apart from show stand stuff, nobody decent polishes ports...a polished port will flow more air, but not a fuel air mixture...so am i right in thinking it should be fine to polish the intake and plenum as far as the injector ports,

i actually have a few old heads and an inlet for an e16se & am planning to make a simple flowbench in my shed with my spare henry hoover... it can't simply be some divine black art, passed down thru the generations... a bit of logic, and some careful work should be able to produce results, not that i'm expecting great instant success in any way, it is more a curiosity thing .

i'm guessing the hard bit is making it flow the same on all four ports.... what sort of variation tolerances do you work to??

philip
07-07-10, 07:56 PM
you would be suprised, i saw an 8v vw golf head done by autosprint, and to me the inlets were way too smooth and still rough marks just under the valve seat where he hadnt took the seat back quite far enough, and for what he charges id of wanted something a tad better.

this may may some people think and some wont agree, but quite a few people ask about flow figures etc, to me and i know gaz'd/andy and a couple of other people, flow figures are crao and a big selling point, yeah you can get a head to flow more by making the port huge, but ultimatly it slows port velocity/gas speed down so can actually make your car slower. its knowing from experiance where to remove metal and cut, depending on spec of the motor. so just because the heads got big and shiny ports that look very very pretty sometimes there actually a waste of money.

mowgli....yeah your right you can have mirror finish up to where the injector sprays the fuel, then leave the inlet port/mani rough (60grit..ish) as for getting the ports right, i have some little tools made that i check the size of the ports equal...like on the 20xe heads, calipers too measure say every 5mm and write down the numbers...do in same places on all ports...and make a table, may be handy. also alot is down to feeling too, you would be suprised how you notice little bits to cut when using tips of fingers and run down ports slowly.

scott.parker
07-07-10, 08:10 PM
Well i was about to Say for the most of the work i know of from Geoff he does do very good work, as Oli said all his engine work was from him and that engine was pretty dam good, my mate Mike recently got his Fly lightened/balanced as he waited and it was quite cheap, £40 IIRC?

Scott

mowgli
07-07-10, 09:49 PM
mowgli....yeah your right you can have mirror finish up to where the injector sprays the fuel, then leave the inlet port/mani rough (60grit..ish) as for getting the ports right, i have some little tools made that i check the size of the ports equal...like on the 20xe heads, calipers too measure say every 5mm and write down the numbers...do in same places on all ports...and make a table, may be handy. also alot is down to feeling too, you would be suprised how you notice little bits to cut when using tips of fingers and run down ports slowly.

in my work, i have actually had a lot to do with flow rates, even though it was more to do with drainage of huge quantities of fluid, ie: water, sewage etc. the basic principles will be the same.. no protuding objects, and try to keep the flow as straight as possible, and if you have to go round a corner, then make it as gradual and smooth as poss.

Mboasty
07-07-10, 10:36 PM
geoff advised me not to polish the ports, smooth not shiney, i used calipers to measure the ports as i went along, also used a washer on a bolt to use as a gauge down the port to get each one about the same, simple but efective, well it worked for me anyway.

burgo
07-07-10, 11:08 PM
in my work, i have actually had a lot to do with flow rates, even though it was more to do with drainage of huge quantities of fluid, ie: water, sewage etc. the basic principles will be the same.. no protuding objects, and try to keep the flow as straight as possible, and if you have to go round a corner, then make it as gradual and smooth as poss.

as philip said though on cylinder heads the velocity is just as if not more important than flow rate

dhdev (Oli)
07-07-10, 11:31 PM
Surely it's not just the amount of flow and velocity, but also the type of flow (eg laminar or turbulent), obviously this is dependant on the reynolds number and the velocity is a component of this, but also wall roughness will have an affect, and I would have thought that some roughness prior to the injector would induce beneficial turbulence and mixing of the fuel vapour with the air?

philip
07-07-10, 11:32 PM
Most heads get opened to about 25mm on the xes or ther abouts, which doesnt seem mch but when you actualy take it out its unreal how much material ther is, i found out from martin bowyer, you can gain upto 8bhp going up to 27mm on inlets whch is definately a portbore job, not a handjob (go on laugh lol) as its far too much material to move by hand. Its the ex ports that can be polished, the inlets want to be smooth but a rough finish at same time, if makes sense, so u dont get 'pooling'.

mowgli
07-07-10, 11:45 PM
measuring air velocity is a bit more scientific though, with pitot tubes & the like...

i was really just going for slightly bigger valves & a bit of cleaning up at first.

philip
07-07-10, 11:59 PM
Thats it, start wit basics, smooth ports, sharp edges, obstructions.

mowgli
08-07-10, 12:02 AM
on my gte inlet, the angle looks all wrong where it meets the ports... i'm actually thinking of having a wedge milled off the front to straighten them up.. is this a common idea? obviously there could be clearance issues, but i think i can sort them out

philip
08-07-10, 06:49 AM
Need a pic or drawing to c wot u mean, cant thnk what you mean

Angus Closier
08-07-10, 09:57 AM
We do this at college, and yes like people keeps saying the flow rate is not everything. Each factor contributes to one thing but to get a good head you have to make them all work together IE not just a huge flow rate ect ect.
Here is a picture of the flow bench used at college...

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii311/landyman_farmstyle/20102009005.jpg

Stuart
08-07-10, 10:30 AM
ramp port FTW :)