PDA

View Full Version : opinions please chaps

ben doodar
05-07-10, 05:26 PM
well after dragging the astra out of the hedge yesterday ive found some new inspiration for it, now its a red mk1 gte in standard form, it needs a fair amount of work, sills, doors, tailgate, boot slam panel, and the pillars where the check strap goes to has rotted aswell.

now what im thinking is do i quit with the nova and do the astra instead?

the novas very solid apart from the rusty rear arches, ive had the let in welded the f28 mount on, fully seam welded the engine bay and inner arches + chris astley plating kit, even boxed the chassis leg out nicely for the alternator, and drilled behind the headlights to hide the wiring, even welded the hole and filled it where the loom comes into the bay.

in your opinion would you say putting the let in the astra is spoiling it? as its so original/standard.

is it a waist to do all the work to the nova then quit with it? i have all the stuff to build the nova up from my gsi that i stripped. so its very straight forward to build the nova.

would the let with f28 bolt straight into the astra?

1 has to go unfortunatly.

bazil
05-07-10, 05:29 PM
really need pics to decide lol, but restore the mk1 if you have ALL the bits.
according to TV there are only 70 mk1 gte astras on the road in the whole of the uk!!

mayhem
05-07-10, 05:33 PM
a mk1 astra is great (i just dont like the gte kit) but they rot..

seeing youre list, the floor near the arms will be rotten aswell, and that is a biatch to repair.

if you strip/sell it.. if it has opening rear quarters.. i want them. :D

wwmnw
05-07-10, 05:34 PM
I'd kill people for a MK1 Astra GTE, fix it or I'll find you.

ben doodar
05-07-10, 05:35 PM
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs070.ash2/36868_140981422582880_100000130702856_427751_59400 57_n.jpg (http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=408125&id=100000130702856)

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs095.snc4/36089_141003859247303_100000130702856_427807_31255 52_n.jpg (http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=408125&id=100000130702856)

the list there mayhem is just what i can see from a quick look tbh not a full strip down inspection. it may be wortyh restoring to road worthy conditon and selling at a profit

bazil
05-07-10, 05:38 PM
eh you should get the for sale add for the nova written out now! its a no brainer for me, RESTORE FTMFW:)

Edd
05-07-10, 05:48 PM
I'd go with the mk 1 Astra IF,

The shell is not so far gone,
If i had all the bits to make it look original,
If you had the whole thing painted would you be able to sort the tailgate vinyl for example ?

I would see what you need to do to the astra, see if the parts you would need are easy to come by then decide wether to get rid of the nova.

By all the panels you been listing sounds like theres alot of work to be done on the shell already lol

Derick-Sport
05-07-10, 06:13 PM
astra be different mate

ben doodar
05-07-10, 06:47 PM
Ummm just got my poking screw driver out, oo I don't know what to do. Going to wait for a couple of lads to come up to push it up the ramps, it's pritty bad tbh. Can post some more pics if anyones interested? But the more I poke at it the more I see it as a challenge. Just thinking it's going to be hard to get parts etc.

Andy
05-07-10, 06:51 PM
Astra Gte,when restored is going to be 1000x cooler and more valuable than any Nova

mayhem
05-07-10, 06:51 PM
hate to say i told you so.. ;)

most parts are easy to get a hold off.

it's just a bit more expensive than nova parts.

youre biggest problem area will be the floor, about where the pedals are.
remove the carpet and sound stuff... that part is a hell to repair as it's 3 layers of metal.

the rest is easy to get hold of. every now and then full rear panels pop up, doors etc.
some small parts can be hard to find... there are no more topmounts available, and the exhaust is getting harder to get aswell.

Sloth
05-07-10, 06:55 PM
that astra looks moosed, get all the kit off asap and you will find its prob dead. also does it run? new cambelt and try starting it.

shrtwrec20
05-07-10, 07:06 PM
Fix the astra and sell me the LET ;)

Dom
05-07-10, 07:33 PM
Well Id say Astra all they way but im biased lol
There will be alot of work needing to be done they always look alot better than they are and dont forget to check the bulkhead as the soundproofing is just a giant sponge that kills GTE's you can check this from inside by looking behind dash and carpet.
Wth regards to fitting the F28 you will need to make a mount for it to fit the chassis leg quite a few pople who have LET's are using the F28 on www.mk1oc.com (http://www.mk1oc.com) come join up for advice and sourcing all the parts you need :)

An heres a couple of pics how mine look / looked for insperation

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa70/mk1dom/pvs2010/DSCN0170.jpg

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa70/mk1dom/Photo451.jpg

ben doodar
05-07-10, 08:12 PM
Nice 1 Dom. Seen ur astra in tv. Looks nice mate.
Just had it up on the stands. Where the arm bolts on to the car Drivers side around the pedals etc is fine. Passenger side seems crusty but not totally rotten. The sills, and Part of the floor pan where it folds n meets the sill are both totally ****ed, apart from that the floors good. Chassis legs are solid. The drivers side seat cross member is ****ed but the floor hasn't gone. Both parts of the pillar where the check straps go r ****ed. Also the boot slam is ****ed. All under the bonnet is fine. I checked the bulkhead padding n feels dry. But need to inspect properly.

wwmnw
05-07-10, 08:33 PM
3 MK1 Astra's and a Manta, you greedy ******* lol

mk1nova_rich
05-07-10, 08:52 PM
loving the blue Astra, it looks sweet :thumb:

mayhem
06-07-10, 03:00 PM
did you have a look under the carpet?

for some reason, there is a hole in the firewall, just under the steering rack. that's where water goes in, and stays in.
that section where the arms are bolted to the floor is the floor, a chassisleg, and the inside floor (the part that goes up for youre feet).

it's kind of looks like a triangle on the inside. water gets trapped, and the chassisleg and both the floor panels rot from the inside, thats why you also need to check it from the inside of the car.

Sloth
06-07-10, 03:17 PM
dibs on the engine and box and mounts and shafts when you break :d

mayhem
06-07-10, 03:23 PM
i want the tank, and opening rear quarters. also, the topmounts if there still in good condition

lol

ben doodar
06-07-10, 04:17 PM
Yes mayhem ive had the carpets up and pulled up the tar/sound deadening and looks solid drivers side, didn't get to the passenger side as it's full of nova parts but am going to have a look tonight, I'm not feeling quite as positve about the passenger side tbh as it was Krusty underneath where the arm bolts to the floor. I'll get the carpet up on the passenger side n have a good look. The carpets were damp aswell.

Sloth that's the worst case that I break it but will let you know and you also mayhem.

Will post pics of the bad places tonight.

Dom
07-07-10, 04:58 PM
3 MK1 Astra's and a Manta, you greedy ******* lol

Thants not even half of what we have here mate and the white one is a serious rotter so wil be a bare shell off to the scrappy soon. And the Manta needs a new owner;)

loving the blue Astra, it looks sweet :thumb:
Cheers buddy thats it looking quite sorry for its self being engine less and sitting on the gte wheels. It was on some 15x7 polished wheels which im currently refurbing for when its done:thumb:

Will post pics of the bad places tonight.
Well mate how was she looking get some pics up:d

mowgli
07-07-10, 05:01 PM
seriously, whip the front wings off & have a good look at the inner arches.... i had one with a huge hole there that filled the sill up (and the silly sponge block thing) with water & i scrapped it.....