PDA

View Full Version : Buying a new PC???

Ben (lurk75)
09-05-03, 07:58 AM
I need to get a new PC the thing im using it terrible, i have not got a clue what to get?
If i had my choice i would buy a MAC but that aint an option so i got to get another one of these things!

So come on tell me what processor? etc etc

I dont want anything crazily good just something quick enough to download stuff and open a few pages at a time.

Cheers

jatinder
09-05-03, 08:13 AM
Ive got a dell at the moment, if your not worryed about high spec then id go for at least somthing with a 2.0 mhz processor in, for XP. And also make sure you have about at least 250mb of ram to runkXP, ive got 512 and it works quite well, try and see if they still have any clearance lines left, failing that try buliding one yourself.

MattyWoo
09-05-03, 08:50 AM
I built mine myself about a year ago.
Athlon XP 1800Mhz, 512Mb DDR Ram, 64mb graphics card etc.
It came to just over 400 quid.

Jim
09-05-03, 09:06 AM
The speed of your cpu isn't necessarily going to make you download stuff any quicker, that will be down to your internet connection.

Theres so much to choose from. Tell us what your budget is and I'll get some quotes for you.

Jim

Breeny
09-05-03, 11:11 AM
We've just bought a load for school

Athlon 2000, 256 DDR ram, 40 gig hdd, 32meg gfx cards, all built with case, keyboard, mouse but no monitor or operating system for ?280.

Ste_Nova
09-05-03, 11:24 AM
i've got a p4 2.4
512mb ram
40gb disk
15.1" screen
dvd cd rw

?1400 from dell in a laptop

what spec pc do u have now.... some parts may be reusable case, psu, fdd, hdd, etc

currently at work i'm buying compaq evo d150 ultra slims... basic desktop pc

Fester
09-05-03, 03:32 PM
Theres some good deals to be had in the educaiton sector at the moment

Dell http://www.dell.co.uk are doing some good deals at the moment ben theyre chucking in dogs bollocks TFT displays for not too much money at all

like a few others ive built my own and got a good spec for a good price, if youre not into computers on that level i would buy a complete job from a manufacturer and u will get a proper warranty, support etc if anything goes tits up

its only a suggestion worth having a look through the site and maybe compare to some other manufacturers prices

Fester
09-05-03, 03:34 PM
http://www.euro.dell.com/countries/uk/enu/dhs/local/offers/hotdeals_hotdeals.htm

mikeoxford
09-05-03, 04:20 PM
dell really are the best computers for the money now adays as they sell direct themselves, no middle man, so they do stuff so much cheaper

ive always favoured the self build option.

but i got bought a dell dimension 8200 & TFT flatscreen and some other magicery to go to uni with, and also for christmas

i think its faptastis

dual cdrw / dvd the lot

jkhilton
09-05-03, 04:23 PM
If you're a games player, go for a good spec flatscreen monitor, not a tft one, the tft ones we have here at work and the ones I have seen out of work aren't brilliant, they generally aren't as sharp a picture as normal monitors.

jkhilton
09-05-03, 04:27 PM
Should say, if you are confident enough to build your own, some decent places to go are www.microdirect.co.uk or www.scan.co.uk (scan has some good deals on the today only section)

I have always built my own PC's and it always works out cheaper and you get better components,no onboard sound/graphics shite!

Breeny
09-05-03, 04:39 PM
I get all my stuff from scan! Ordered memory and a cd writer last week and it came next day :mrgreen:

Ive still got a trade account at Micromart from when i was a student, i used to live next door to it! lol!

Agreed with the building yourself bit too, these days there is not much of a price difference though. Loads of deals on ebay aswell.

personally i wouldn't got to a big company like Dell, Evesham etc either cos there prices are always over inflated.

Bear in mind you can pick up 15" tft screens for ?150 now they might not be as good a deal as you think!

Ben (lurk75)
09-05-03, 05:19 PM
I have been looking at Dell stuff as it seems very reasonable, i had a mate build my last PC it was ok but just didnt seem smooth, hard to explain i want to get one where if it goes wrong i can throw it back at them.

I have broadband and it is very quick in our area. God knows what spec this PC is its awful.

wisewood
09-05-03, 06:16 PM
www.scan.co.uk (scan has some good deals on the today only section)

I have always built my own PC's and it always works out cheaper and you get better components,no onboard sound/graphics shite!

scan are who i always use... have used them for about three years now, always had good serive from them... if you dont fancy building your own system at home (which isnt that hard anyway) they will quote your for a system spec of your choice and deliver it ready built and ready to go.

Best thing to do is find a mate who knows how to put a computer together and but the parts online... usually get a machine of the spec you are after for less than 500 quid.