PDA

View Full Version : Cars or Racing Bikes?

Nova-Boy
08-05-03, 06:59 PM
Big decision!

Should i give up Racing the CBR, sell it and buy a wickid nova or keep racing when i am better?

I could save money by not racing as much but just do a few track days on the cbr. I dont think i would get much for it in the state it is and it would cost lots for a new fairing etc. I also need new gloves and possably leathers!

My dad is really into my racing but i cant afford to go out, drink, cruise etc etc on my wage and racing.

Have the ability to win but cant afford the fast bikes, a van, tyre warmers etc etc!

Could wait till i have a good job and then get back into racing when i have the money but i would have missed lots of experience.

What should i do?? :x

wisewood
08-05-03, 07:03 PM
Dont go at it as you have been, but try and get the bike sorted and do track days etc so that you keep yourself as good as you are at it.

that way should you decide you wanna get back into it big again when you can afford it more > you can do and will know your abilities are still of a good standard.

you obviously love it mate so i wouldnt recomend giving up all together... i was the same with waterskiing... could have gone a long way, then had an accident at work, shattered my wrist and gave up on the dream... when in fact if i had kept at it and practiced gently for a year or so i would have been able to carry on ... but got no chance now.

tonydry
08-05-03, 07:04 PM
stick at it you may regret it if u give it up youl find the money some how u dont want to think what if in later life carnt u get sposership?

Nova-Boy
08-05-03, 07:09 PM
I am thinking of doing as you said wisewood. Perhaps your not that think after all!! :lol:

wisewood
08-05-03, 07:15 PM
;) trust me on this one mate...

i may talk some shite, and sometimes i talk some sense but on this one i know what i'm talking about. I threw away my chance of doing what i really wanted to do, and have regretted it ever since.

after i broke my wrist i didnt waterski at all for 4 years, then when i had another go at it it was horrible. My old coach was there at the time...
he said i still had the technique but it was just the bottle that was missing... not surprising really... accelerating from 5mph - 80mph in a few seconds and then back to 5mph for the next turn and then accelerate again > with a dodgy wrist and 4 years inexperience behind you its quite scary.

My wrist started hurting and i had to stop > where as if i had kept at it and practiced gently from time to time i would have still been in shape and still had the bottle for it.

You stick with the bike, even if only part time as compared to what you do now and you will find that you wont regret the decision.

mikeoxford
08-05-03, 10:25 PM
;) trust me on this one mate...

i may talk some shite, and sometimes i talk some sense

after all he is "both wise, and wooden."

?Marty?
09-05-03, 12:23 AM
Yeah, don't give up completely. Keep at it just enough to keep you in the game.

Can you get sponsorship?

Most pro's have broken something at least one's. Look at Mick Doohan (however you spell it) lol

Jim
09-05-03, 09:15 AM
If you can, keep hold of the bike and use it for track days. If theres a track near to you that has open days throughout the year try spreading out the amount of times you go, for example 4 times a year.

During the time when your not on the track you can save up and tune your bike, replace worn/broken parts, then use the track day to "test" the bike if you've put new parts on it or tuned it.

Once your happy with the bike and are confident that you can win some races go back to the racing.

The Nova is something that can be put to one side, you an always come back to the Nova. You don't have to have a kick ass Nova right away. Look at CP (no offence Charles) He's not your average aged Nova driver and yet he's built one of the most respected Novas knocking about, theres no reason why you can't do the same in a few years.

Good Luck with whatever you choose to do, don't necessarily do what people have suggested on here, you need to assess whats best for you.

Jim

Dave
09-05-03, 11:21 AM
do as wise & jim say, keep your hand in (not meant to be funny) then at least you'll know you can still do it if you want to later. the nova will come together i've been savin for 3 years an now have scraped up enough cash to do it, the nova doesn't have to be done overnight most modded cars take ages to get right.
stick with it mate