PDA

View Full Version : can police seized cars go back on the road at all?

Scooby_Eater
01-07-10, 09:10 PM
as above
can a vehicle seized by police be put back onto the road?
i have had the chance for a few cars really cheap in the past but never really looked into it
then one has just come up on the bay been seized for been a 'clone car'
i know there used to be ways round it for rebuilding/registering on a q plate but whats the crack with it now?
any advice would be great
cheers :thumb:

Asa-James
01-07-10, 09:11 PM
wont be on a Q plate, stopped doing those years ago. would probably need to be vic checked/re registered and it would get an age related plate to the car.

blue_peg_16v
01-07-10, 09:14 PM
they can be they have to be inspected and are put on an age related plate q's arnt used anymore

so if for instance most bits of the car indicate it to be a 1990 they will put a unused g plate on it thats my understanding anyway

eddgsiturbo
01-07-10, 09:15 PM
yea they must do because aroun my way the police siezed a 54 plate bmw 330i convertable and was driving around in it with a crimestoppers phone number and in big letters down the side saying this car was siezed form a local drug dealer. lol

Mike
01-07-10, 09:19 PM
Yes they can as Ive owned one (general seizer for non insurance/fraud/on wanted database for crim use). Just depends under what circumstances they were confiscated under. With a "ringer" chances are very very slim though.

Scooby_Eater
01-07-10, 09:27 PM
i know Q plates arent used anymore and ive heard mixed stories about cars can/cant be put back on road and dont know what to believe

yea they must do because aroun my way the police siezed a 54 plate bmw 330i convertable and was driving around in it with a crimestoppers phone number and in big letters down the side saying this car was siezed form a local drug dealer. lol
bet the drug dealer was well p1ssed having it rubbed in his face lol

how would you go about checking if a car can be put back onto road
or how to re register it if you can?

Scooby_Eater
01-07-10, 09:28 PM
Yes they can as Ive owned one (general seizer for non insurance/fraud/on wanted database for crim use). Just depends under what circumstances they were confiscated under. With a "ringer" chances are very very slim though.
how did you go about re registering it?

Mike
01-07-10, 09:29 PM
i know Q plates arent used anymore and ive heard mixed stories about cars can/cant be put back on road and dont know what to believe

Like i said, with regards to being put back on road or not it ALL depends on the reason as to why it was taken off the road.

Criminal assets - Yes
Used in crime - Yes
Ringer - N/A
Ongoing investigation - No
Non insured/tax - Yes
Fatal accident/wounding - No
Etc etc...

Mike
01-07-10, 09:31 PM
how did you go about re registering it?

Sent the logbook off :wtf: just as you would with any other "normal" car purchase.

Scooby_Eater
01-07-10, 09:36 PM
Sent the logbook off :wtf: just as you would with any other "normal" car purchase.
if there is no log book? would you just apply for it as normal or would it need to be vosa checked?

Mike
01-07-10, 09:43 PM
if there is no log book? would you just apply for it as normal or would it need to be vosa checked?

Ringers dont tend to have gen logbooks at all :wtf:

blue_peg_16v
01-07-10, 09:46 PM
ringers can the have to be inspected and will go on an age related plate

but thats when they cant find the origional details of the car if they can the car is the insurance companys property that payed it out so it will go back on its origional plate and they will then sell it on

Scooby_Eater
01-07-10, 09:48 PM
ringers can the have to be inspected and will go on an age related plate

inspected as in? how would you book it?

Mike
01-07-10, 09:49 PM
inspected as in? how would you book it?

VIC

Call your local VOSA centre & they will advise you how to go about booking a VIC. Bad things can happen tho when a car fails a VIC apparently (dont know how much truth is actually in that tho as its never happend to me)

shrtwrec20
01-07-10, 10:25 PM
I bought a stolen recovered nova a while back. Just had to send all the details i could to the DVLA and they sent me a new log book.

Mike
01-07-10, 10:28 PM
I bought a stolen recovered nova a while back. Just had to send all the details i could to the DVLA and they sent me a new log book.

Had loads of stolen/recovered motors, there well easy to register.

The only hassle I ever had was with one that was still on the crim database for gun crime & every ANPR in the world caused me no end of hassle for about 2 months until it was sorted out via Police/VOSA/DVLA :roll:

edens-xe
01-07-10, 11:05 PM
Like i said, with regards to being put back on road or not it ALL depends on the reason as to why it was taken off the road.

Criminal assets - Yes
Used in crime - Yes
Ringer - N/A
Ongoing investigation - No
Non insured/tax - Yes
Fatal accident/wounding - No
Etc etc...

regarding the fatal accident one providing the car has been repaired properly and been retested to roadworthy standards and the case from said accident has been closed it CAN go back on the road:thumb:

Mike
01-07-10, 11:09 PM
regarding the fatal accident one providing the car has been repaired properly and been retested to roadworthy standards and the case from said accident has been closed it CAN go back on the road:thumb:

They should come under same circumstances as a Cat A insurance total loss? IE never returned to road & no parts salvaged.

Dave.
01-07-10, 11:12 PM

The Astray? lol, the bloke who owned that ebfore you is now in prison for 25 years iirc :d

The only cars that CANNOT go abck on the road are no insurance/section 165

If the vehicle is not collected from the impound yard in the time limit given, the vehicle MSUT be crushed whole

Exceptions are:
If the vehicle has a value of over £1000 (modified cars do not count, generally anything from around 56 onwards)

If the vehicle has outstanding finance, the car then gets repo'd

Scooby_Eater
01-07-10, 11:28 PM
some interesting replies to this
another little thing
does anyone know how to get the original registration no of a car using chassis/vin number?

blue_peg_16v
01-07-10, 11:33 PM
you wont neccicarily get the origional reg off the vin

there is a disclamer on the paperwork the dvla give you when you do a cherished transfer that states you may not get the origional reg back when you change the plate back

never known it to happen but it can, how dodgy would that look everything hetched with a different reg

Scooby_Eater
01-07-10, 11:43 PM
what i mean is what plates currently match up to the car
ie. if i took the plates off my car and lost them with documents ect. . how could i find out what reg plates should be on
sorry for not been clear enough and cheers

bazil
02-07-10, 12:54 AM

up here Glasgow cops too it a little further lol

http://www.quattroholic.com/2010/03/scottish-police-employ-audi-q7-based.html

Jack
02-07-10, 07:31 AM
Assistant Chief Constable John Neilson said "The hard working, law abiding citizens need to know that we are hurting those involved in serious and organized crime where it matters - their pockets."
What, by mincing around in a petrol guzzling w@nk-mobile?

sport
02-07-10, 09:35 AM
up here Glasgow cops too it a little further lol

http://www.quattroholic.com/2010/03/scottish-police-employ-audi-q7-based.html

And have now had there police station fire bombed 3 times :tard:

blue_peg_16v
02-07-10, 10:49 AM
tbf i think thats an awsome idea why not use the impounded vehicles will save on cost of vehicles bet we see it more and more when all the goverment cuts start to kick in

Jack
02-07-10, 11:05 AM
tbf i think thats an awsome idea why not use the impounded vehicles will save on cost of vehicles bet we see it more and more when all the goverment cuts start to kick in
Because most police drivers are knobs, putting it bluntly. Dorset traffic cops all got busted for giving their brand new Focus ST's a rant out in the snow back near the start of the year, then promptly trashing them.

The government hates cars remember, so they'll just prefer to cube any impounded stuff rather than make/save some money back on them.