PDA

View Full Version : Oil Pressure

matty h
01-07-10, 08:20 PM
I have a 2.0 SEH engine but the oil light stays on for a couple of seconds when it starts.
Would the SBD nylon relief valve stop this.

Oil pumps and upgrades (http://www.sbdev.co.uk/Dry_Sump_Systems/Oil_Pump/Oil_Pump.htm)

Adam
01-07-10, 08:33 PM
Thats normal on startup until its got oil pressure....

Start worrying if it doesnt go off.

Have you got a pressure gauge?

Nova_Tek
01-07-10, 08:53 PM
If it goes off after a few seconds mate then it sounds pretty normal to me. If it comes on during driving or it doesnT go off once started, then start pooing your pants :)

matty h
01-07-10, 09:32 PM
Have a oil pressure gauge fitted.Just thinking everytime I start my car it is starting with no oil circulating.Not come across this problem with any other engines.

Nova_Tek
01-07-10, 10:02 PM
What does the gauge read a few seconds after starting? What does it read once engine is warmed up and idle and what's it read once up to temp and driving after 2k rpm?

mowgli
01-07-10, 10:16 PM
as i keep telling people, these engines are at least 17 years old, they are getting a bit worn, it should be ok for a good while longer yet.

matty h
02-07-10, 10:10 AM
Engine has plenty off oil pressure when it it running but just shows nothing on gauge or light for a couple of seconds when starting.Engine had full rebuild a couple of 1000 miles ago.

mowgli
02-07-10, 10:21 AM
so it had a full rebuild and you didn't replace the oil relief valve??? did it get new pump gears??.

Nova_Tek
02-07-10, 12:01 PM
Couple seconds means 2 seconds, that's fine mate tbh. What grade oil are you using? Maybe if it's thicker oil when cold it may take a few secs longer to start travelling.

matty h
02-07-10, 01:03 PM
Engine has had complete new oil pump.I am running genuine Vauxhall semi sythetic 10w40 oil with slick 50 engine addative.

Stuart
02-07-10, 01:25 PM
woah woah woahhh...... youve put slick 50 into a FRESHLY built engine?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?

fail!!! big time fail!
Aside from that stuff being crap at the best of times it will have prevented proper bedding in of the rings etc.

oh and ftr, thick oil gets upto pressure faster than thin oil :)

Nova_Tek
02-07-10, 01:27 PM
Forget the slick 50 shizzle, they don't do jack tbh.

I persoanlly don't see any problems fella as the oil light goes out after 2 seconds, as you've said. It's probably the time it takes for the oil to start fully circulating and until then there is minimal oil pressure.

On the SEH from cold start up you should see 4 - 5 bar pressure even on idle. As it warms up the needle should drop to around 1/3 on the guage (on idle) and it should also get back up to high pressure when driving from around 2000 rpm.

This was actually the way my 1.2 behaved aswell.

If there are no warning lights and the needle doesn't drop to the lower end of the oil guage whilst driving, then it's ok. If this is how your gauge behaves then it sounds fine to me.

matty h
02-07-10, 05:11 PM
Looks like I need to stop worrying as pressure is good when running.
Thanks for the replys.
Matty