PDA

View Full Version : snapped bolt in box

eddgsiturbo
01-07-10, 07:28 PM
have got a f20 box and a bolt has snapped of were the mount bolts on, its the bottom 1 out of the 3 that has snapped, is there any easy way of gettin it out with out havin to take box off the engine? by the way engine is outta the car, i have tried hacksaw'in a cut it it so can try un-doin it with a screwdriver but it wont turn and didnt wanna cut 2 far in the alloy. cheers in advance. :thumb:

smitla1
01-07-10, 07:39 PM
try drilling it and sticking a easy out init mate

p.s. its reid btw

Paul
01-07-10, 07:54 PM
That is pretty impressive laziness not wanting to take the box off of the engine when its out of the car lol.

Take the box off, get the box nice and steady and firm, centre punch the bolt and drill it out, try easy outs, if not just drill it and helicoil it.

Graeme
01-07-10, 07:59 PM
My last xe only had two bolts in the mount and it was fine for over twelve months, if it was my pride and joy I want to sort it out though

simonm
01-07-10, 08:01 PM
same thing happened mine only it was two of them ya can drill them out and go to m12 makes it stronger and wont break in the future i used m12x20 cap head with spring washers works a treat

eddgsiturbo
01-07-10, 09:06 PM
yea i know its lazy but that box has been on and off so many times now it unreal, its ready to go in thats why i dont really wanna take it off, it is nice and steady as i pushed the engine over backwards on to some old tires lol. what the f*** is a easy out? lol

GRUNT 16V
02-07-10, 10:39 AM
Weld a nut to the end !! always works !

Rich
03-07-10, 06:12 PM
what the f*** is a easy out? lol

Drill a hole in the bolt, insert the easy out. Its got a backward thread on it so as you turn it, it eats into the bolt and pulls it out

Plug
03-07-10, 06:15 PM
just done this with engine and box still in the car.

Drilled the bolt then as said an easy out.