PDA

View Full Version : Air Con Help

bmw156
30-06-10, 10:47 PM
Hey guys, i knowits not nova related, but in the golf i have ****ty aircon, and its ran out of gas, so tonight i go to regas it etc.

and i start doing it all well and good. and then notice its pissing out of a join.

the nut which clamps a pipe in place has come loose and wont hold it tight.

my question is, can i pull the pipe out. all the gas i think has leaked out. so it should be low on pressure ( it reads 0 on the refil guage)
and there was some nice luminous green **** coming out.

whats the worst case?

Asa-James
30-06-10, 10:50 PM
need to replace the part...

seriously tho, its actually illegal to "knowingly" release R134a into the atmosphere, if the join wont hold tight, you need to find what bit(s) are damaged and replace them, and have it recharged properly (those DIY kits i find innefective) try eurocarparts or GSF for parts

bmw156
30-06-10, 10:52 PM
yeh i need to replace the nut first to see if its foobared, to see if its foobared i need to remove it from the pipe and to do that i need to pull the pipe out of the system, i just didnt wanna get killed by that stuff lol

+rep

Asa-James
30-06-10, 10:53 PM
it will only kill you if theres a full system and your in an enclosed space, effectivly suffocating you.

even in a large workshop, if theres a large leak from one car we all go outside for five just to be safe (and a skive lol)

Stuart
30-06-10, 10:55 PM
need to replace the part...

seriously tho, its actually illegal to "knowingly" release R134a into the atmosphere, if the join wont hold tight, you need to find what bit(s) are damaged and replace them, and have it recharged properly (those DIY kits i find innefective) try eurocarparts or GSF for parts

Only illegal if you are a business doing it.... Otherwise anyone that shunts in an air coned car would be arrested lol

AlexW
30-06-10, 10:56 PM
The green stuff will be dye so you can find leaks. Been pooring out my tigra for weeks.

Asa-James
30-06-10, 10:58 PM
Only illegal if you are a business doing it.... Otherwise anyone that shunts in an air coned car would be arrested lol

if your in a shunt your haredly knowingly doing it tho lol i'd imagine it would be the last thing on your mind moments before the impact:d

bmw156
30-06-10, 11:00 PM
asa your a legend lol,

ok tomorrow ill give it a tug, and get the but off and see if its foobared lol.

then ill go to a shop and buy a new one :D

thanks guys for the confidence lol

7ova
30-06-10, 11:06 PM
wear some latex/vinal disposable gloves to protect your skin mate
that green dry can stain

smirty
30-06-10, 11:33 PM
more than likely gona need a new seal. Probably a little o ring in there and there never the same size as a normal o ring we keep a big box of o rings specially for air con at work.

smitla1
01-07-10, 07:58 PM
very illegal if you dump and very dangerous mate

Adam
01-07-10, 08:05 PM
Asa-Where did you get the re-gas kit from?

My astra needs doing

Asa-James
01-07-10, 08:10 PM
i didnt, we do it at work. martin had the regas kit, i think you can get them from halfrauds, or local motor factors

smitla1
01-07-10, 08:16 PM
really thats intresting beacuse my astra needs regassing to

Adam
01-07-10, 08:34 PM
So you can DIY?

adam c
01-07-10, 08:37 PM
Yeah you can buy it from halfrauds as i did my civic with a kit i bought.Its just as cheap to take it somewhere but i prefer to work on my own car.

bmw156
01-07-10, 11:01 PM
yeh adam, you can get the kit from halfrauds,

50 quid and you have to get the valve one.

i got it of a mate for a tenner lol

djbrowney
01-07-10, 11:05 PM
slowfit only charge £30 im sure !!!

edens-xe
01-07-10, 11:08 PM
asa your a legend lol,

ok tomorrow ill give it a tug, and get the but off and see if its foobared lol.

sorry but fappin lollollollol

Stuart
02-07-10, 08:34 AM
slowfit only charge £30 im sure !!!

either £30 or £50 and they wont charge you if the system is fecked and cant take gas as they check it before hand.

and again, its only illegal to vent aircon gas to atmosphere if you are a business... as a chimp doing DIY it isnt illegal (just might be a little morally wrong lol)

AlexW
02-07-10, 06:40 PM
£49 at gayfit.